Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet connectivity problem

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Internet connectivity problem

GAC, is yours XP or Vista? Which model Pavilion?

When you turn it back on, does it go through the entire reboot cycle? (Just trying to figure out if it's going into a standby mode or if it's going cold out.)
    Last edited by IslandRed; 01-20-2008 at 12:58 PM.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    My internet connectivity is normally fine. However, when I attempt to download a heavy volume of data at the same time, it will die. For example, I've been watching Lost on ABC.com in HD lately and it's killed my connection. In the past it's died when I've tried loading several movie trailers at the same time. I have to restart my computer in order to get online again. I know that my router isn't the problem because this problem still occurs even when I plug straight into the modem. I also know that it's not a provider issue because neither of my roommates have this problem. My connection is quite functional for the most part, but I'm getting pretty agitated by this problem. I've got an ASUS P5NSLI motherboard with the latest LAN drivers installed. Does anyone have any ideas on what my problem may be?
    What kind of computer do you have and what browser/version are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    What kind of computer do you have and what browser/version are you using?
    I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.11. I've had the same problem using Netscape as well. My system is as follows (I built it):

Motherboard: ASUS P5NSLI
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 ghz
    2 gigs of RAM (Kingstone, I believe)
    Running XP Pro SP2
    Video card: Sapphire Radeon X1650XT
    Some kind of SoundBlaster! sound card
    My LAN runs through my motherboard
    Some kind of Sony (well, it says Sony, but it's really a Liteon...) DVD+RW drive

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    Anything clicked on in "Power Options" are they all set to "never" ? in the control panel.

All are set to never except for monitor which goes into sleep after 20 minutes.

GAC, is yours XP or Vista? Which model Pavilion?

When you turn it back on, does it go through the entire reboot cycle? (Just trying to figure out if it's going into a standby mode or if it's going cold out.)

Pavilion Desktop a1423y. It has XP. The tower completely powers down, and it goes through the entire cycle. Yesterday it shut off at 6:15 AM. This morning at 6:25 AM. And it powered right back up and has run fine all day.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-20-2008 at 06:16 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Pavilion Desktop a1423y. It has XP. The tower completely powers down, and it goes through the entire cycle. Yesterday it shut off at 6:15 AM. This morning at 6:25 AM. And it powered right back up and has run fine all day.
    At that point, how long has it been on? Do you leave it running 24/7 (or would, if it didn't keep shutting itself off)?

At that point, how long has it been on? Do you leave it running 24/7 (or would, if it didn't keep shutting itself off)?
    I leave it on 24/7 and the only time it shuts down is as I have indicated above - every morning around 6 AM or so. Once I power it back on it runs fine the rest of the day, that is, until the next morning around 6 AM in which it shuts off again.

I thought it was a over heating issue because my tower sits inside a cabinet, with the door closed, built into the side of my computer desk. I personally didn't like the idea, but it's a "woman thing" because my wife hated seeing the tower (cables, etc) sitting out and being exposed where everyone can see them. It's all about the decor.

Isn't there someplace, in the BIOS maybe, where you can check internal temperature? My fan is working fine, and I periodically take a vac and clean the computer tower to free it from dust.

But even if it is overheating, it's weird that it runs fine all the time, and yet keeps shutting off around the same time every morning. And if it's overheated, then why would it power right back up and run fine after that?

I am thinking about taking the tower out of the cabinet and seeing if that does anything; but I doubt it.

I consistently (Weekly) run my virus scan and spyware scan (Spy Sweeper) and don't find anything.

It's been doing this now for about 4 months. So if it was something failing I'd think it would be getting steadily worse and then fail. I'm perplexed at this point.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Neither one is set up to run on a schedule. And I don't have anything set upon the Task Mgr either.

And the computer doesn't reboot. It powers down.
    Old story I heard from a field service guy.

He had a customer who had a computer system that powered down every night at the same time. The system would power back up fine, but it was down every morning when they came in to work.

Field service guy checked out all the hardware, checked out all the software, checked all the scheduled tasks, and looked at everything he could think of. Nothing seemed amiss. So finally, he decided to spend the night at the customer site and see what was going one.

He was woken up about 2 AM when the cleaning lady came into the computer room. First thing she did was to unplug the power cord for the computer and plug in her vacuum cleaner.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

OK, just a couple more questions:

* Are you doing anything on the computer at the time or has it just been sitting there inactive for several hours? Does Windows go through its shutdown or is it just, zap, power off?

* When the computer restarts, do you ever get any unusual messages about Windows not being properly shut down the previous time or CHKDSK runs or anything?

I don't have a Pavilion desktop, so I can't say for sure, but there might be something in the BIOS power management that's overriding your Windows settings.

GAC, I'd check the BIOS power management.

Many computers I've worked on can schedule power offs directly from BIOS. You'll see nothing in the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.11. I've had the same problem using Netscape as well. My system is as follows (I built it):

Motherboard: ASUS P5NSLI
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 ghz
    2 gigs of RAM (Kingstone, I believe)
    Running XP Pro SP2
    Video card: Sapphire Radeon X1650XT
    Some kind of SoundBlaster! sound card
    My LAN runs through my motherboard
    Some kind of Sony (well, it says Sony, but it's really a Liteon...) DVD+RW drive
    Can you get your connection back without rebooting by disabling and re-enabling your NIC through Device Manager?

As for actually fixing the problem, I don't know how fast your connection is; some on-board NICs can struggle with extended max-out transfers and lose sync. I haven't seen an actual fix for your motherboard/NIC combo, but it was suggested that maybe if you use a download manager and throttle back to something slightly less than maximum speed, it might help.

OK, just a couple more questions:

* Are you doing anything on the computer at the time or has it just been sitting there inactive for several hours? Does Windows go through its shutdown or is it just, zap, power off?
    I'm just on-line reading Redszone or bouncing around the 'net when it immediately drops power. It does not go through any shutdown procedure. And it always somewhere around 6-6:20 AM every morning.

When the computer restarts, do you ever get any unusual messages about Windows not being properly shut down the previous time or CHKDSK runs or anything?
    No. None of that. I power it back up and it runs/works fine the rest of the day with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    GAC, I'd check the BIOS power management.

Many computers I've worked on can schedule power offs directly from BIOS. You'll see nothing in the OS.
    Good point. Do you know specifically what I should be looking for once I'm in the Bios? Any particular setting?

GAC, as an experiment maybe leave the computer off for about an hour next time it dies, then turn it back on, I'm interested to see if it turns off after 24 hours.
    Go Gators!

Good point. Do you know specifically what I should be looking for once I'm in the Bios? Any particular setting?
    Nah, don't know the specifics of that machine.

Just something in the BIOS that says power or power management A BIOS menu usually isn't too complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    GAC, as an experiment maybe leave the computer off for about an hour next time it dies, then turn it back on, I'm interested to see if it turns off after 24 hours.
    But if I leave it off for a whole hour I'll fall further behind you in post counts!

But I'll give it a try Krono.

Turn Off Ads?