Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Internet connectivity problem

Re: Internet connectivity problem

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Good point. Do you know specifically what I should be looking for once I'm in the Bios? Any particular setting?
    I seem to recall HP having updates even bios updates and other fixes on their site for each model machine even when you have just purchased it brand new out of the box, at times.

Have you checked their site for software and bios upgrades for your model number ?

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/...isplay=drivers

Remember that mother board manufacturers often send out fixes and patches for glitches that they discover later, after people use them etc. HP will have the bios updates for the mobo.

I think that Roy has a point with the bios, click around in it and see if there is anything that might be causing it to shut down at or about that time. Something is telling it to reboot or shutdown at that time.

“it immediately drops power” sounds like a scheduled shutdown to me. You indicate the computer works fine the rest of the time.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 01-23-2008 at 11:38 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm going to look into upgraded the Bios this weekend and see if that helps. I'll also "snope" around in there and check out the power management.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    GAC, as an experiment maybe leave the computer off for about an hour next time it dies, then turn it back on, I'm interested to see if it turns off after 24 hours.
    I tried something different Krono.

First - I checked those items that I have running on my taskbar. Nortons and Spy Sweeper are pretty much it, other then the default Windows items such as volume control. But I went into their options to see if there was any setting that might be doing this. Found nothing.

I went into Power Management in the Bios and found nothing.

This morning I updated the Bios on HP's website. A newer version came out about 6 months ago.

And while my computer is always on, what I did differently this morning was I didn't get on the computer, as far as the internet, from 6-6:30 AM to see if it shuts down. It didn't. And it's been running fine.

When it has shut down in the past, always around 6 AM, I was not doing anything other then browsing the internet. And a majority of that time I was on RZ. So I am blaming Dusty Baker.

For about 2 months, I've been using the Netscape browser a majority of the time. I still use IE, but not much. But this "problem" has been going on for about 5-6 months, so I don't see how it could be the browser. And when it has shutdown, it's done so using both browsers.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Turn Off Ads?