Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cloverfield movie?

Re: Cloverfield movie?

Quote Originally Posted by mole44 View Post
    It was short, but when it ended, it didn't feel like it was short, not to me. And plotless? Did he even watch the movie? He was probably one of those kids that was using the free camera's flashes to make flash puppets of their middle fingers on the screen. I guess I just don't pay attention to the hype of movies. But the movie went pretty much as expected as far as expectations go.
    Just telling what he said. He said all the camera work was cool in a herky-jerky way, but in the end, it was just a monster rampaging through NYC and people doing stupid things and screaming.

I assume he was facing the screen when he saw it. And I don't think he makes finger-puppets any more. At the age of 20, I hope he's past that.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

todays the day, me and a few friends are gonna check this one out tonight

Easily the worst movie I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Star Trek fans should watch for the Star Trek trailer that precedes the film.
    You mean the 'Star Trek 90210' trailer

I'll wait for the youtube version
    Go Gators!

I thought it was neat... I'll give it a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10, and I'm a tough grader

Yeah, I just saw it and I didn't think it was bad, especially considering it was just a monster movie. It could have been just a run-of-the-mill monster movie, but it can from an interesting first person perspective. Now, don't get me wrong, it's not a great movie or anything, but it was entertaining and is atleast worth a rental once it comes out on DVD. I'm not sure I'd recommend anybody to spend the $10 a pop for the movie theatre though.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Easily the worst movie I have ever seen.
    Why do you think that?

Here's why I thought it was great.

I thought the single-camera perspective was a terrific way to tell this story. Without going into spoilerish detail, I'll just say that I loved the flashback device. I was impressed by the way the effects were good but they weren't overblown like some Jerry Bruckheimer extravaganza.

Most negative online reviews I've read seem to focus on the shaky-cam, the ending, the monster(s) and the unanswered questions. I had no problem with any of those.
    /r/reds

Great film. Just fantastic. Once the action starts, it stays suspenseful 'til the end, a true thriller. The story gripped me just enough, but it wasn't overwrought. I thought the actors performed well, too.

One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

Just got back from seeing Cloverfield. It was pretty good. It wasn't film at it's greatest, but it was quite effective. This is probably the only monster movie I've ever seen with characters that can be empathized with. Don't get me wrong, they're not incredibly complex characters, but there was enough depth there to keep me interested throughout the film. It was surprisingly funny, as well. The outcome is apparent from the beginning, but it wasn't all that predictable outside of that. It was obvious that many in the theater didn't understand or expect the ending. I guess they either (A) got to the theater late or (B) didn't read the text (all two sentences of it) during the film's opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Why do you think that?

Here's why I thought it was great.

I thought the single-camera perspective was a terrific way to tell this story. Without going into spoilerish detail, I'll just say that I loved the flashback device. I was impressed by the way the effects were good but they weren't overblown like some Jerry Bruckheimer extravaganza.

Most negative online reviews I've read seem to focus on the shaky-cam, the ending, the monster(s) and the unanswered questions. I had no problem with any of those.
    I had no problem with the camera or the ending I was just bored out of my mind the entire time. It just never had my interest I dont know maybe I just went into with expectations too high.

Just saw it, I liked it. We are not talking The Godfather here, but we certainly are not talking Manos The Hands of Fate.
    My biggest beef: Why do the previews have to show so much? I was able to come up with the ending before I even sat down (knew who lived, who died, etc). I think I need to stop watching previews.

I thought the battle scenes, short as they were, were quite excellent - very well done and showed the chaos of battle.
    I liked the actors. There were actually two actors who were my favorites from two bad sitcomes: the hot Lizzy Caplan from The Class; and T.J. Miller, who played the hilarious Marmaduke in Carpool. In the short amount of time, it did not seem that the character development was not completely hampered by the action, and visa versa. Yes, there could have been more character development...but I think they wanted to make a quick and to the point popcorn flick, and succeeded.
    The monster was OK - but to be frank, it is quite difficult to come up with an original monster in this day and age. No matter what it looks like or what it does, it is still going to have that recycled feel to it.
    I thought it had a bit of a Godzilla/Punishment Park feel to it.

after reading these comments, I don't know whether to see this or not...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I just saw the 11:45 showing. A guy I heard while walking out of the theater summed it up pretty well. "It was like someone who's seen too many Godzilla movies got a chance to finally show what the people on the ground were going through."

I don't think I'll ever get used to the shaky camera thing. I had to look away from the screen a few times to refocus. It's probably a movie that is better seen in theater because of the feeling of chaos you get simply out of just how loud it is, mixed with the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Great film. Just fantastic. Once the action starts, it stays suspenseful 'til the end, a true thriller. The story gripped me just enough, but it wasn't overwrought. I thought the actors performed well, too.

One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.
    Agreed...I really enjoyed it.

Cruisin' for trouble

I thought it was a very intriguing movie. I've heard it compared to Blair Witch, but it's only comparable because of the use of the handheld camera.

The ending isn't really an ending though, is it? We really don't know what happened to the creature, if there is only one or if any of the smaller creatures made it off the island.

Certainly, there is plenty of room for another movie.

Turn Off Ads?