Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The RB Conundrum

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

The RB Conundrum

Not sure how to introduce the topic, other to say that to the best of my knowledge, we have 4 RB on the depth chart right now, and can really only play 2.

R. Johnson
    K. Irons
    K. Watson
    C. Perry

If I forgot someone, lemme know.

I was never convinced that Rudi was a starting NFL back, but we gave him a chance when Dillon left town, and to cover our butt, we drafted Perry as an insurance policy if Rudi didn't work out. Complete waste of a 1st Round Pick, but I've already ranted enough about that.

Irons got hurt in the preseason, but IMO is our best back, but that could change depending on how he rehabs.

Then we're left with Watson, who turned some heads in his limited playing time, but I think that was more or less other teams not havinig enough film on him and not knowing much about him.

Post Super Bowl, what would you do to address the RB situation, and what do you honestly think the Bengals will do, if anything?

Me? I'd ship Rudi out of town for either a draft pick or a defensive player to help the depth on that side of the ball. I could honestly live with Irons and Watson. I'd also ship Perry out of town for anything. And I do mean anything.

I forgot about Dorsey and Wilson, but I don't remember them seeing the field, or if they did it was in garbage time or Special Teams. So to me, they don't really exist. Talk about them if you want, but I don't anticipate much discussion concerning them.
    Last edited by Highlifeman21; 01-19-2008 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Forgot about Dorsey and Wilson.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The RB Conundrum

I think Dede is a very underrated running back. He has a burst that none of our other backs (don't know about Irons) have.

I am not sure how much Rudi's hamstring slowed him down this year, but he was flat out embarrassing this season. He has to be the easiest running back in the NFL to tackle. I honestly doubt you would get anything in a trade for him. I would just assume let him go.

I'd happily go to war next season with Perry, Irons, Dorsey and Watson. If Irons and Perry do not work out, at least you know what you have in Watson.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    I think Dede is a very underrated running back. He has a burst that none of our other backs (don't know about Irons) have.

I am not sure how much Rudi's hamstring slowed him down this year, but he was flat out embarrassing this season. He has to be the easiest running back in the NFL to tackle. I honestly doubt you would get anything in a trade for him. I would just assume let him go.

I'd happily go to war next season with Perry, Irons, Dorsey and Watson. If Irons and Perry do not work out, at least you know what you have in Watson.
    Depending on the cap implications, I would rather use him (Rudi) as an asset to acquire a different asset rather than to just write him off as a sunk cost.

I feel the same way about Chris Perry. Getting him off the Bengals only makes them immediately that much better. Use him to get something different.

Dorsey is going to be on the team just because he plays special teams.

Rudi has almost gotta be cut. Save the cap room. Hes had a bad year and a half and no real reason to believe hes going to return to form of a couple seasons ago just based off how NFL running backs work. Really doubt he has any trade value unless you are talking late late round picks. Nature of the beast in the NFL.

Irons is most likely going to be the starter next season in my eyes, unless there is of course some type of problem with his rehab, and if there is we will just suffer through the year of Watson being serviceable.

Next years depth chart should look like this

Irons
    Watson
    Perry (being healthy enough could move him up a notch)

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

The position of Cincinnati Bengal running back has got to be cursed. Just off the top of my head.

Harold Green
    Kijana Carter
    Chris Perry
    Kenny Irons
    Rudi Johnson
    (I know I'm missing a few more)

...and to some extent, Corey Dillon, All these guys have either been rendered totally ineffective due to injuries or have become disruptive because of attitude. But the RB position in a Bengals uniform has not been historically successful.

The curse of the Ickey Shuffle. I like the sound of that.
    Witty signature.

Recent years have been crap in terms of luck with injuries but the bengals have always had solid ground games.

IMO, Rudi and Perry should be gone. Go into the season with Watson and Irons as our starting backs.

Another alternative would be to possibly address the problem via FA. Julius Jones and Michael Turner are possibilities. That being said though, I would rather keep things in house.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Recent years have been crap in terms of luck with injuries but the bengals have always had solid ground games.
    Well, not the last two seasons. In 2006, the Bengals ranked 26th in the NFL in rushing yards with a 3.7 ypc average. In 2007 they didn't fare much better as they were ranked 24th in rushing yards, with the same weak 3.7 ypc average.

I used to think it was just a banged up, makeshift offensive line that was the root of the problem. But watching Kenny Watson exceedingly outperform Rudi J against the same defenses with the same offesnive lines clearly points the blame at Rudi. He has no burst through the holes, and in the NFL a fraction of a second is all it takes to turn a 5 yard run into a 2 yard run and vice versa. Not only that, but the Rudi Johnson of yesteryear scoffed at an arm tackle. This past season, however, I've lost count of the number of times he's gone down to simply running into his own lineman. As Playaldc said above, it was flat out embarassing.

As of right now, I'd probably have the depth chart at:

Kenny Watson
    Kenny Irons
    Dede Dorsey
    Chris Perry

Watson had a fine, fine season and deserves to get his shot at the bulk of the carries again next year. Irons should be a nice complementary back at first and begin to get more touches as the season progresses. Dede is just fun to watch and Bratkowski should try to get him into the flats where he can outrun fools. Chris Perry I don't trust.

Lastly, I'm unsure of the ramifications of cutting or trading Rudi as far as a cap hit, but after his painfully obvious decline these past two seasons, there's no way I allow him to continue to sabotage offensive drives with his anemic 2.9 ypc. It's tough to march down the field when you're repeatedly facing 3rd and longs due to an absent running game.

Unfortunately, from everything I've read or heard Marvin tell the media, he says Rudi's done just fine - it's the O-Line's fault. And while the O-Line does have its share of blame for a poor ground game the past couple of seasons, if it's clear to me Rudi's lost a step or six, then sirens and red flags should be deafening to an NFL coaching staff.
    Last edited by Screwball; 01-19-2008 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    IMO, Rudi and Perry should be gone. Go into the season with Watson and Irons as our starting backs.

Another alternative would be to possibly address the problem via FA. Julius Jones and Michael Turner are possibilities. That being said though, I would rather keep things in house.
    Another running back I would look at if Rudi and Perry go is Justin Fargas.

Dorsey is a good back. I think that, if given the chance, he would put up better numbers than Rudi with an equal number of carries. I don't know about the durability though. Irons is a good young back too. Hopefully they will both develop, and form a solid 1-2 combo for years to come.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Michael Turner was locked up by San Diego.

I like Dorsey, though. He has the ability to just burst upfield, he's an explosive back. Reminds me of Ryan Grant. Irons, Dorsey, and Watson should battle it out in the preseason, but in the end, I imagine Watson will start, with Dorsey spelling him, and Rudi getting cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Well, not the last two seasons. In 2006, the Bengals ranked 26th in the NFL in rushing yards with a 3.7 ypc average. In 2007 they didn't fare much better as they were ranked 24th in rushing yards, with the same weak 3.7 ypc average.

I used to think it was just a banged up, makeshift offensive line that was the root of the problem. But watching Kenny Watson exceedingly outperform Rudi J against the same defenses with the same offesnive lines clearly points the blame at Rudi. He has no burst through the holes, and in the NFL a fraction of a second is all it takes to turn a 5 yard run into a 2 yard run and vice versa. Not only that, but the Rudi Johnson of yesteryear scoffed at an arm tackle. This past season, however, I've lost count of the number of times he's gone down to simply running into his own lineman. As Playaldc said above, it was flat out embarassing.

As of right now, I'd probably have the depth chart at:

Kenny Watson
    Kenny Irons
    Dede Dorsey
    Chris Perry

Watson had a fine, fine season and deserves to get his shot at the bulk of the carries again next year. Irons should be a nice complementary back at first and begin to get more touches as the season progresses. Dede is just fun to watch and Bratkowski should try to get him into the flats where he can outrun fools. Chris Perry I don't trust.

Lastly, I'm unsure of the ramifications of cutting or trading Rudi as far as a cap hit, but after his painfully obvious decline these past two seasons, there's no way I allow him to continue to sabotage offensive drives with his anemic 2.9 ypc. It's tough to march down the field when you're repeatedly facing 3rd and longs due to an absent running game.

Unfortunately, from everything I've read or heard Marvin tell the media, he says Rudi's done just fine - it's the O-Line's fault. And while the O-Line does have its share of blame for a poor ground game the past couple of seasons, if it's clear to me Rudi's lost a step or six, then sirens and red flags should be deafening to an NFL coaching staff.
    I said recent years...

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    I said recent years...
    Hence I talked about 2006 and 2007...

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Hence I talked about 2006 and 2007...
    I just felt like you were disagreeing with me or something

I'm pretty content with the Bengals running backs. I hope the Bengals but Rudi and have Watson and Irons duke it out for the starter spot. Then I see how the health of Perry is and determine what to do with him after that. Dede should be on the team as well. There's 4 guys for probably 3 spots. And all of them are decent. I just hope the Bengals don't waste another draft pick on a running back. Unless you're LT, or Peterson, the offensive line is what makes good running backs.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Turn Off Ads?