Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The RB Conundrum

Re: The RB Conundrum

Running back seems like the most replaceable position in all of football. Off the top of my head there is only one running back that isn't replaceable in the NFL and that is LT. Peterson seems like a good one but he is still young and has to prove he can stay healthy over a full season. I think drafting a running back in a early round is just foolish.

I think you go into camp with Perry (if affordable), Irons, Watson, and Dorsey. I also look at drafting a back with a later pick. I think an interesting guy is Slaton. I have a feeling his is going to fall pretty far in the draft and if you can grab him with a 4th pick that may be a good deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that RB is without a doubt the most overrated position in the game. Give me any back in the NFL and a plus offensive line and I'll show you a guy who can give you 1200 yards and 10 TDs. Get a speed guy who can catch the ball and a grinder who can move the pile and then put your big money elsewhere.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that RB is without a doubt the most overrated position in the game. Give me any back in the NFL and a plus offensive line and I'll show you a guy who can give you 1200 yards and 10 TDs. Get a speed guy who can catch the ball and a grinder who can move the pile and then put your big money elsewhere.
    I would only draft a RB in the first round under two situations. One being the player is a LT/Adrian Peterson type. The other being you have a completely stacked team (Patriots with Maroney).

Drafting Chris Perry and Kenny Irons in the 2nd round is a complete waste of a pick. Marvin has a slight history of wasting picks though, I wasn't surprised by Irons at all.

I certainly wouldn't extend Rudi Johnson at the rate the Bengals did. Again though the Bengals aren't the smartest franchise. I consider most NFL teams to be inept though. Only a few franchises have figured out the basis for building a great team. That's why I'm not shocked in the salary cap era that one team is dominating all others. That man and his staff have taken a simple approach to building a team with the salary cap and they don't budge. Until other teams start using their brains it's going to continue. One team has completely taken advantage of the salary cap system while most all other teams are clueless. That's why we have 4 super bowl wins in 7 years.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I see you've paid close attention to the Denver Broncos the last couple of years?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I see you've paid close attention to the Denver Broncos the last couple of years?
    They're certainly not the only one. Unless of course you think 30 teams passed on drafting a guy who really is a 5.1 Y/C talent -- Ryan Grant. Or that Chester Taylor was really a backup and suddenly got better. The list goes on and on.

Put LT behind a bad line and he'd be lucky to get 4 yards a carry. Put any RB behind the Broncos line and they'll run the ball just fine. Or maybe Sevlin Young really is a 5.1 Y/C sort of guy too...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Denver doesn't have a great Oline anymore. Gibbs is gone and they aren't near as dominant as before. They have also been hurt in the RB area and Travis Henry is a head case.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Denver doesn't have a great Oline anymore. Gibbs is gone and they aren't near as dominant as before. They have also been hurt in the RB area and Travis Henry is a head case.
    I think part of the reason why Denver is having problems is because the league has at least started paying attention to the chop blocks and cut blocks the Broncos have been coaching their linemen to use. Part of their previous success was based on having undersized linemen who moved quickly and dove at players legs from the side so that they had to spend more time protecting their knees rather than focusing on the ball carrier. However, I think they did show that an effective offensive line can make a star running back out of low draft picks, even if that line was effective only because they used questionable tactics.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I think part of the reason why Denver is having problems is because the league has at least started paying attention to the chop blocks and cut blocks the Broncos have been coaching their linemen to use. Part of their previous success was based on having undersized linemen who moved quickly and dove at players legs from the side so that they had to spend more time protecting their knees rather than focusing on the ball carrier. However, I think they did show that an effective offensive line can make a star running back out of low draft picks, even if that line was effective only because they used questionable tactics.
    I agree that it was a mix of questionable tactics and talent. They now have been forced to tone down those tactics and they haven't replaced the talent to the same level. That's an obvious bad mix for Denver. Tom Nalen getting old and injured often has really hurt them. Just about the same as Braham leaving crushed the Bengals. They have also been hurt by a general lack of experience, IMO. The right side of their Oline this year was Pears and Montrae Holland. Neither has great experience in a zone blocking scheme. They also were very inexperienced at C and LG this year. I think having 4 out of 5 starters with very limited experience was a major factor in some of their overall struggles.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Put LT behind a bad line and he'd be lucky to get 4 yards a carry. Put any RB behind the Broncos line besides Maurice Clarett and they'll run the ball just fine. Or maybe Sevlin Young really is a 5.1 Y/C sort of guy too...

Turn Off Ads?