Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things That You Sold, Traded, Gave Away, or Trashed But Now Regret

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Things That You Sold, Traded, Gave Away, or Trashed But Now Regret

We all have had things that we have gotten rid of at one point or another but wished we hadn't.

I had a good friend who had his own autograph business. He'd chase down celebrities full time in Los Angeles, and he would often let me have first crack at his really good stuff. He would get all of them himself, so it was super cool to pick through his collection, knowing they were all authentic.

Over the years, I amassed a pretty cool collection of stuff.

At one point it got kind of out of control, so I sold a bunch of stuff I had on ebay.

What made me think that a Mick Jagger signature, in silver paint pen, on a Herb Ritts photograph would be a good idea to get rid of I have no clue, but have absolutely regretted selling that thing since I packed and shipped it off when it was sold.

People will come to my house and comment about how cool the collection is - I mean it's striking, one of a kind stuff- but when I go to say, "Thanks, glad you enjoy it," I hear this little voice in the back of my head saying, "Well, it could have been a lot better had you not sold the God of rock's autograph on the coolest picture ever, goof head."

Ugh.

Also- I traded away a bunch of late 1960s, early 1970s baseball cards- Rose, Jackson, Bench- for a handful of Intellivision games.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Things That You Sold, Traded, Gave Away, or Trashed But Now Regret

When I was 15, I traded a vintage Ludwig 5-piece drum kit (gold sparkle) for a 15 (or so) piece candy-apple red CB-700 kit. Double-bass kits were the rage at the time. Bad, bad decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

Also- I traded away a bunch of late 1960s, early 1970s baseball cards- Rose, Jackson, Bench- for a handful of Intellivision games.
    oh mercy.

woy and I had some epic intellivision baseball battles back in the day.

I regret getting rid of my my schwinn lemon peeler.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

woy and I had some epic intellivision baseball battles back in the day.
    Great, great game, but I think the games I got were along the lines of Dungeons and Dragons.

Just awful decision making.

My mom usto have a letter written, and signed by Ty Cobb. One day my dad was going through the closet cleaning it, and threw it, along with a bunch more stuff away. Now that I'm a collector, I think she would have given it to me. That would be cool to have.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I wasted an awful lot of prime baseball and football cards from the early 60's in the spokes of my bicycle.

And in my house fire I lost all my comic books from the 60's (about 1,000), as well as a lot of Beatles memoribilia (cards, magazines, albums), as well as Reds too. A lot of the pictures we had got replaced by various family members; but my photos from when I was in the military and overseas are gone forever,
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

1976 Les Paul Standard - Wine Red
    1976 Les Paul Custom - Black w/Dirty Fingers Pickups
    1881 Les Paul Deluxe - natural wood top (someone stripped it, and routed out the pickups for full sized ones before I got it)
    1974 Les Paul Special
    2 different Legend Rock & Roll 50 Amps
    1 Mesa Boogie MK III
    Late 70's Silver Face Fender Bassman head

Beretta 92FS
    Sig Sauer P226
    Glock 23

Bought and ultimtley sold all of them. Have had lots of other crap along the way, but these are the ones I wish I had held onto.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 01-19-2008 at 03:12 PM.

Roberto Clemente signed ball, played with it... yeah I know... he wasn't dead then.

I tried to think about something that fit this thread but honestly there is nothing I can think of. Im sure that will change some day I get married though...

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Albert Pujols Chrome Rookie Card. I sold it in his 2nd year in the league I think and got around $50 for it.

I'm thinking I could have done a little(lot) better had I been more patient.

I shudder to think of the amount of cards I have traded or sold in my lifetime. I had quite a few doubles from the mid/late '70s and early '80s. Pretty sure I had stacks of Trammell, Morris and Whitaker rookies, Henderson Rookies, Ripken rookies - tons of them. They would be worth thousands now, I think I let them go for about 20 bucks.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    1881 Les Paul Deluxe - natural wood top (someone stripped it, and routed out the pickups for full sized ones before I got it)
    Considering Les was born in 1915, I'd guess that 1881 model was made by a prophet and worth a billion dollars! On the music topic, Ltlabner... I have never sold any music equipment that I have bought. Of course I have pedals, rack effects, amps (X3), guitars (X11), basses (X2) and all kinds of other stuff stored and in milk crates. Each piece of equipment has some sort of sentimental value to me. I am not like this about anything else... I usually tend to get rid of stuff too quickly. There are some things I have not used or played in 15+ years, but I still have it. I once loaned a guitar and small amp-speaker combo to an aquaintance who sang in the 1st band I joined. He got a brain tumor and quickly passed away (about 6 months after I let him borrow the gear). Needless to say I did not ask his family for the gear (of course not!) and never got it back.

Things I miss...

* a few thousand Topps baseball cards (1972-1982) that were expendable for enough money to buy a few cases of beer during my senior year of high school. I was so young and so dumb.

* bats from REDS bat day giveaways from the late 1970's. MY uncle had four season tickets and used to take my cousin and I during bat day for about 4 seasons. It was always during the first month of the season. My favorite was George Foster's black bat replica that was given in 1978 after his MVP year. Not sure what happened to them, but I'd guess my parents got sick of seeing them get in the way and tossed them.

My dad gave away Topps football card sets from 1971-1974 without my knowledge. Still haven't gotten over that one.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    1976 Les Paul Standard - Wine Red
    1976 Les Paul Custom - Black w/Dirty Fingers Pickups
    1974 Les Paul Special
    2 different Legend Rock & Roll 50 Amps
    1 Mesa Boogie MK III
    Late 70's Silver Face Fender Bassman head

Beretta 92FS
    Sig Sauer P226
    Glock 23

Bought and ultimtley sold all of them. Have had lots of other crap along the way, but these are the ones I wish I had held onto.
    1881 was a good year for Pauls!

No Glock 18?

I wish I hadn't had to sell my Oberheim Matrix-12 but I was strapped for cash at the time. I left a Sundown guitar amp with a friend after I moved back to California from Boston. Kind of wish I still had that, it was very "Boogie-like."

My Dad had a TR-808 he sold for $100 in 1990. I'm getting over it...gradually.

Had a buddy back in elementary school I used to trade baseball and football cards with. One time, he traded me all his football cards for all of my baseball cards. I still have them somewhere but in retrospect, I would like to have had the baseball cards. I think it was around 1977 and I'm pretty sure I had all the Reds cards from that year.

A friend of mine gave me a very nice Moog Minimoog years ago. GAVE IT TO ME...he wouldn't take anything for it. They go for around $3000 on eBay these days. I still have it and it needs a little tuning but it freaking rocks.

3 Time CY Young winner

At one time in my youth I had around 10 Joe Montana rookie cards that I traded. I can't even remember what I traded them for.

Turn Off Ads?