Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire lefty, Jeremy Affeldt ...

Re: Reds aquire lefty, Jeremy Affeldt ...

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    This says too me that the reds are going to look for one year fillers so that the young guns can come up to the bigs with lower amount of pressure.
    I agree completely. Additionally, it says to me that the cost of a trade was well beyond what the Reds were willing to spend. Of course, it's still a month to ST.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sensible acquisition for the money, but it isn't the move that is necessary for them to become a legit contender.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Sensible acquisition for the money, but it isn't the move that is necessary for them to become a legit contender.
    It's the right move if he's in the pen. Affeldt is likely taking Bray's spot after his appendectomy. Smart pickup.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    It's the right move if he's in the pen. Affeldt is likely taking Bray's spot after his appendectomy. Smart pickup.
    Bray's out 2 weeks. He'll be fully recovered well before spring training even begins.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    This says too me that the reds are going to look for one year fillers so that the young guns can come up to the bigs with lower amount of pressure.

Of course, I still think they need to sign another LH starter for the rotation but I like this signing A LOT...really strengthens the BP and could help the rotation when needed.
    Took the words out of my mouth. This could give Homer a little more time to develop (mainly some confidence) and Cueto some time to prove that he is the real deal.

Not goona put us in the playoffs, but not bad either - especially for the price. I like him as well as any of the arms left on the FA market. I still expect something like Tomko on a similar deal (possibly a minor league pact with a ST invite).

I doubt that Jockski (or is it Krivetty?) will give up on a major upgrade @ starter, but they aren't gonna panic and overpay either. I think the;ll continue working the trade market in ST, at the tradedeadline and into the next offseason as well as going after any top names that make it onto the FA market next offseason. I expect them to be successful by the start of the 2009 season (if not sooner).

Until then, I look for 2008 to unfold as a showcase for the young arms. I think Bailey, Volquez, Cueto and Maloney will be given every chance to make a permanent roster spot their own. Options, each other and the presence of guys like Affeldt, Shearn and (possibly later) Livingston mean that the club can make sure that they go about their business the right way and are not just handed a spot.

I like the fact that Affeldt can be used out of the pen if better starting options are there in ST. It's just aonther excellent reason to rid themselves of my number one targets (Stanton) too.

LOL, Jocketty had nothing to do with this move. He is nothing more than a impartial observer and becomes more important if Krivsky fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    LOL, Jocketty had nothing to do with this move. He is nothing more than a impartial observer and becomes more important if Krivsky fails.
    How do you know all that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I like the pickup, he has upside ... unlike recent lefties like Cormier and Stanton.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    The moves that make teams into contenders are rarely lauded as such when they are made.

There's a lot to like about this deal -- mostly that it's of the 1 year variety and costs the Reds nothing long-term if it doesn't work out. I like those kinds of deals when the target is an unproven commodity.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    How do you know all that?
    I don't, but it is more likely than him coming in and making moves like this thread is trying to implicate.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Have to say this a cross-my-fingers and hope. His appearances and IP show he was a less than an inning reliever, his splits are dramatically better at Coors than on the road (probably small sample size, got shelled on the road once or twice, who knows) and got hit harder by lefties than righties, and the aforementioned problem with walks. If they want to use him as a bridge lefty for a few outs, OK, but over that he hasn't had much success.

somebody's getting waived...

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Have to say this a cross-my-fingers and hope. His appearances and IP show he was a less than an inning reliever, his splits are dramatically better at Coors than on the road (probably small sample size, got shelled on the road once or twice, who knows) and got hit harder by lefties than righties, and the aforementioned problem with walks. If they want to use him as a bridge lefty for a few outs, OK, but over that he hasn't had much success.
    exactly.

Only 2 or three times did he go over 2 innings at a time, so my guess is he was primarily acquired for the bullpen or like traderumor said, it's a hope and a prayer. I hope it's the first reason because we don't need another Danny Graves (successful bullpen guy who tries to start) or Kirk Saarloos.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    somebody's getting waived...
    Stanton....hey, we can hope

Turn Off Ads?