Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire lefty, Jeremy Affeldt ...

Re: Reds aquire lefty, Jeremy Affeldt ...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The moves that make teams into contenders are rarely lauded as such when they are made.

There's a lot to like about this deal -- mostly that it's of the 1 year variety and costs the Reds nothing long-term if it doesn't work out. I like those kinds of deals when the target is an unproven commodity.
    Not when a team is one of the worst in baseball.

The move is what it is...a Krivsky special. Generally low risk (due to length of contract and low money) and high upside (due to the fact that the guy has a great arm). If it works, Wayne is a genius. If it flops, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg and therefore he can't be faulted, theoretically.

But the fact of the matter is they need more. With the money they have spent in the last couple of years, they shouldn't be at the point where they take low-risk flyers on relievers to turn them into starters. The roster construction methodology is all over the place.

This signing in a vacuum looks fine. Looking at it in conjunction with everything else and I just shrug my shoulders. The Cordero move is really starting to look more and more like a poor allocation of resources.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Solid move, I am a bit surprised that he didn't get more. I would expect a bunch of incentive clauses and perhaps an option triggered by innings or appearances.

BTW- acquire is missing the c.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Stanton....hey, we can hope
    He's the logical chooce.
    Go Gators!

Very intriguing move. I had hoped the Reds would get Affeldt for the bullpen. I think the Reds need to improve the lefty side of the bullpen. If that's what this is, I think it's excellent.

I have read that Affeldt would like to be a starter. If that's what's up, I wonder which starter leaves the rotation. Bailey? Maybe not.

Great scenario is that Reds acquire a good starter via trade or FA and add Affeldt to bullpen along with Cordero. That would be a nice off-season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-19-2008 at 05:16 PM.

Nothing to complain about here. At worst he is a bullpen guy and spells the end of Stanton. Solid move.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    somebody's getting waived...
    I'd wave to Stanton
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

When Affeldt first came up with the Royals, he had wicked stuff. Mid-90s heat at times and a nasty hook. But he got blisters -- it was a chronic problem. Sounds to me like he'll get a crack at a rotation spot -- I don't see him signing with the Reds otherwise. Interesting idea, to be sure. If he manages to hold down a spot competently, the payoff for him could be huge.

Plan B is the bullpen, I guess. Makes a lot of sense for the Reds.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

If Affeldt is used in the bullpen, at what point do we call up Elias to find out the record for most relievers acquired by a GM in a 2 calendar year time period? WK has to have this one by a country mile.

Cruisin' for trouble

Looks like Affeldt will be the 5th starter unless/until one of the kids forces him to the pen. If it means that the kids aren't rushed into service prematurely, that's a bonus.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Reds acquire lefty, Jeremy Affeldt ...

JA hasn't consistently started since 2003, when he had 18 for KC. Since 2003, he's only had a total of 17 starts in 4 years. Since 2003, he's also shown up in 199 games as a reliever.

I'd be shocked if he was added to the stable of arms as anything but a reliever.

Hopefully this means the end is nigh for Stanton.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    When Affeldt first came up with the Royals, he had wicked stuff. Mid-90s heat at times and a nasty hook. But he got blisters -- it was a chronic problem. Sounds to me like he'll get a crack at a rotation spot -- I don't see him signing with the Reds otherwise. Interesting idea, to be sure. If he manages to hold down a spot competently, the payoff for him could be huge.

Plan B is the bullpen, I guess. Makes a lot of sense for the Reds.
    Good analysis. Assume that is why Affeldt picked the Reds over the other teams, for a shot at the rotation.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I have no desire to see Affeldt do what he did starting in KC. He showed at least some career promise in the bullpen, hopefully that is the gameplan. But, it would be like the Reds to set up the guy to fail instead of getting him with the understanding that we think his best chance to succeed is in short stints out of the pen.

when the list of free agents first came out, he was one i wished the Reds would go after, but didnt figure they would out bid anyone for his services.. im shocked!!.. i like this move.. i still see Stanton gone and still another starter is acquired.. just a gut feeling!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

If another starter isn't acquired/obtained, then this move on partially helps the problem that is the bullpen. A problem will still remain with the starting rotation. I'd rather see Tom Shearn start than Jeremy Affeldt. At least Affeldt has value out of the pen. Shearn, on the other hand...

Very good move. Affeldt has solid stuff and will further improve the bullpen as I suspect that is where he will end up.

This offseason continues to get better and better.

Turn Off Ads?