Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire lefty, Jeremy Affeldt ...

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Reds aquire lefty, Jeremy Affeldt ...

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    The Cordero move is really starting to look more and more like a poor allocation of resources.
    I can't think of any other word to describe this argument other than just plain "wrong."

The "resource" allocated to Cordero was money. Money hasn't been an issue this offseason. The sole issue is unwillingness (for better or worse) to part with top minor league talent in order to acquire good pitching.

Nobody is out there to buy. If someone was out there that was worth the money, you wouldn't see virtually every team with contender and championship aspirations out chasing after the Bedards, Harens, Blantons and Santanas of the world. The best players in the market aren't on the FA market -- they're in the hands of other teams. Money won't buy them. Prospects will.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds aquire lefty, Jeremy Affeldt ...

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    seems like a reasonable risk given the marketplace.
    Yes. Without a doubt. And a much better throw, given he's a lefty with at least some stuff, than spending money on a Livan or a Tomko...

Re: Reds acquire lefty, Jeremy Affeldt ...

My bullpen would now be:

Francisco Cordero
    Jared Burton
    David Weathers
    Jeremy Affeldt
    Billy Bray

Final two spots come down to Jon Coutlangus, Todd Coffey, Marcus McBeth, Brad Salmon, Josh Roenicke, and Ramon Ramirez.

This is definitely a bullpen move.

Let's hope it spells the end for Stanton.

Affelt will probably be an upgrade, but not really enough to matter all that much.

Then again, relievers are volitile, and he could get hot.

You just never know with relievers, but I think I know the safe bet.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    This is definitely a bullpen move.

Let's hope it spells the end for Stanton.

Affelt will probably be an upgrade, but not really enough to matter all that much.

Then again, relievers are volitile, and he could get hot.

You just never know with relievers, but I think I know the safe bet.
    I'm not so sure he isn't going to be given an opportunity to start.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

There's some risk in this move, but I like it.

Got to see a lot of Affeldt last year. He doesn't always know where it's going, and rarely "hits the glove." His stuff is good enough, however, that he manages to get both righties and lefties out.

He will frustrate you, but will continue to get results until he loses velocity and hitters learn to lay off.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

I'm just going to pretend it's not happening.

That's how I'm going to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I'm just going to pretend it's not happening.

That's how I'm going to deal with it.
    It's not the worst idea ever.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I agree. You probably want multiple left handed starters at GAB in an ideal world. Minus Affeldt, you are staring at none. I don't think the Reds hit a panic button because a pitcher they have not been able to count on since the day they got him had an apendectomy. Coutlangus and Stanton are still there. I think they are looking at Affeldt and Volquez in the rotation to start the season. Bailey number 5. Sure, you would like to get that solid starter that could stabalize the entire staff. But, to a man, you have to say the rotation is at least intriguing. I certainly don't see room for the likes of Tom Shearn now.

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    I agree. You probably want multiple left handed starters at GAB in an ideal world. Minus Affeldt, you are staring at none. I don't think the Reds hit a panic button because a pitcher they have not been able to count on since the day they got him had an apendectomy. Coutlangus and Stanton are still there. I think they are looking at Affeldt and Volquez in the rotation to start the season. Bailey number 5. Sure, you would like to get that solid starter that could stabalize the entire staff. But, to a man, you have to say the rotation is at least intriguing. I certainly don't see room for the likes of Tom Shearn now.
    And if he does end up in the bullpen he's capable of stretching it out as a lefty "swingman" in an emergency. That's always nice to have in the BP.

Affeldt is something like Lohse...one outing he looks unhittable, the next he might get hammered, especially when he's started. Really filthy stuff. Blisters as mentioned and control issues. Once he went to the pen he was better. I think part of the reason he went to the pen was the blister thing -starting and throwing alot of pitches he kept developing them, as a reliever it hasn't been as big a deal. I like the deal for the dollars and especially as another bullpen arm who can give you spot starts if needed. I just don't see him as an answer rotation wise and I can't believe, given his history that the Reds see him there either.

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    I agree. You probably want multiple left handed starters at GAB in an ideal world. Minus Affeldt, you are staring at none.

And that makes all kinds of sense.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I just want to add that the dollar amount makes this a worthy experiment.

Maybe Wayne will strike gold again, but if he implodes, they didn't lose talent, or anything substantial monetarily.

Exactly wheels, its a nice flyer, the Reds are not out too much if he implodes, and if it works out, it lets them slow-walk Bailey/Cueto/Maloney a bit. And if one of those three force their way north by June, Affeldt could always go bullpen if he is indeed in the rotation at that point.

I like the move he's young , cost was reasonable, and because he is a left hander who may become a starter. Lefties have a bit of a track record of not truly developing to later on in there career aka Moyer, Schilling etc, its worth a shot and he is a a guy who can slot back into the pen if he fails as a starter.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Turn Off Ads?