Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Affeltd signing,what does it mean?

Re: Affeltd signing,what does it mean?

I like the theory, but as the bullpen stands now, the Affeldt deal could very well mean the Reds bullpen is now one of the best in NL.

Cordero
    Burton
    Weathers
    Bray - finally arrives
    Affeldt
    Coffey - returns to his 06 performance

2. Turn Off Ads?

I like this move in general; lefty, mid-90s, decent curve. It will be interesting to see how they use him. Yes, potentially a starter but would also work well in long relief.

Back to the original question! Put a fork in it. WK is done with the pitchers. What you see now is your pitching staff. Maybe some minor trade. We keep the young guns. Stay close to the division leaders. '09 is our goal.

Quote Originally Posted by chettt View Post
    Back to the original question! Put a fork in it. WK is done with the pitchers. What you see now is your pitching staff. Maybe some minor trade. We keep the young guns. Stay close to the division leaders. '09 is our goal.
    I sure hope you're right.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chettt View Post
    If '09 is your goal, then you dont spend the money this year and get Cordero. You can get closers next offseason if '09 is the goal. I am not convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules View Post
    If '09 is your goal, then you dont spend the money this year and get Cordero. You can get closers next offseason if '09 is the goal. I am not convinced.
    why get a closer next offseason when Cordero is available this year? Next year's money is for Derek Lowe (if we need him ). I'm so tired of hearing that the Cordero signing is a win-now move. He is signed for FOUR years! That means he is under contract for 2009, so he is part of the plan for 2009...

Keeping our young studs doesn't necessarily foreclose the possibility of winning this year if some of those young studs hit the ground runnning.

This move means that we now have a decent lefty to go to, weather out of relief, or as a starter. He is young, and throws decently hard. I really think we got a steal on this one.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    This move means that we now have a decent lefty to go to, weather out of relief, or as a starter. He is young, and throws decently hard. I really think we got a steal on this one.
    I agree. Great signing. I also think it is a win now move! We can win now with Bailey and Volquez. I think that Affeldt will be the lefty starter...and do a good job. Your other two spots will be manned by Bailey, Volquez, Belisle, Cueto and/or Maloney. There are enough options to believe that a couple of them will work out. Win in 08 AND beyond!

I think this move pushes Belisle into the bullpen as out long man/ spot starter which I think is his best role.
    Last edited by redsfanmia; 01-20-2008 at 03:45 PM.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I think this move pushes Beslile into the bullpen as out long man/ spot starter which I think is his best role.
    What makes Affeltd better than Belisle? Belisle is a much better SP. I'm tired of people thinking Affeldt should be a starter.

As a Starter:
    Affeldt: 8W-17L, 5.41 ERA, GS 37, IP 216.3, 96 BB, 127 SO, 117 tOPS+
    Belisle: 10W-11L, 5.11 ERA, GS 42, IP 211.3, 56 BB, 146 SO, 103 tOPS+

However Affeldt pitches better than Belisle as a RP.

So why should Affeldt be starting?

Affeltd was signed for the bullpen. Just because we signed Cordero doesn't mean we were set by any means in the pen. I'm kinda surprised so many people want him in the rotation. Belisle isn't that bad, this will only be his second full year as a starter. Why are people willing to have patience with Bailey but not with Belisle? Matt is no top prospect granted but I think he has the potential to be a decent 4 or 5 guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    Affeltd was signed for the bullpen.
    Its being reported that he signed with the Reds because the chance to be in the rotation.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I have read that. Although I'm fine with them giving him a chance for a rotation spot, I just can't picture that as being the best use of him. MLBfan posted the stats, even Belisle is a much better option.

Back to the original query....I don't think the signing means WK has another transaction in the works specifically. However, this certainly gives him more flexibility to trade a reliever or a starter (althought I don't like Affeldt as a starter myself). Also, I hate to say it, I think the Drew Anderson signing may be a move for more flexibilty as well. If Stubbs is traded he would be another outfielder in the minors to fill in.

Turn Off Ads?