Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Duke Energy...

Go Deacs

Re: Duke Energy...

I put in a secondary Heat Pump last year (also have a Gas Boiler Hot Water heating system) and let Duke know I now had all my major appliances using electric I then was eligible for a "better" rate schedule because of theis it dropped by cost per KWH alot. Check with Duke Power to see what rate schedule you are being charged. Duke Power will provide the rate schedules if you call them and you can then see what it takes to get the best rate.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I just paid my first Duke Energy bill since I moved south of Dayton, and I have to say that I'm flabbergasted. I didn't use any more electricity than I normally do over the last month...in fact, I've used less because I don't have lamps here, and it cost me $78 more than the average I spent per month up north.

Why is electricity so high down here? I mean...it's electricity...

Someone please educate me.
    The price depends on a lot of factors. . .

1.) Insulation. Is your new place old or new? I live in a 1936 bungalow and it has a ton of heat loss in the winter, due to the lack of insulation. (I guess insulation was more expensive than oil in 1936.)
    2.) Appliances. Do you have more appliances in your new place? How old are they, and how efficient are they? How about your hot water heater?
    3.) Usage patterns. Do you use power more now during the day than you did before? When do you run your dryer?
    4.) Heating. Did you go from heat pump to electric? That could explain your spike.
    5.) Wall warts. Do you leave things plugged into the wall during the day that you don't use, e.g., coffee machine, cell phone charger, stereo, TV? They might be draining your power.

Without knowing your particular circumstances, my quick recommendations would be to spend $29 and get a programmable thermostat, and drop it to 62 degrees when you aren't there; seal any air leaks around windows and doors; replace your lightbulbs with the fluorescent ones (you'll save a ton over the long haul); get adapters to address the drain of energy due to wall warts; insulate; and when you replace appliances, always look for EnergyStar.

These recommendations will probably cut your energy costs by more than half, and nearly all of them are easy to do.

The EPA has a great site on how to save energy in your area.

http://hes.lbl.gov/
    Last edited by D-Man; 01-22-2008 at 09:40 PM.

I have some friends that just moved back from Hamilton to SF. They moved to Ohio in the first place to take advantage of low real estate prices and buy a house. But they moved back because they figured the utilities made housing costs a wash and jobs pay way more out here.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Was an accurate meter reading conducted when you moved in? You could be paying for the previous tenant or all the electrc use when your apartment/house was renovated such as electric to paint, shampoo carpet, etc.

There was no previous tenant, and the electric was turned off when I moved in.

The only difference I've been able to cite is that before I was living in an apartment on the middle floor, and now I'm on the top floor.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

There was no previous tenant, and the electric was turned off when I moved in.

The only difference I've been able to cite is that before I was living in an apartment on the middle floor, and now I'm on the top floor.
    a roof, hmm. more exterior walls too? that could be part of it.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Mine's pretty ridiculous as well...

$245 a month for the budget billing, 2000 sq ft 2 story house with fully insulated garage, and many insulation upgrades, the house itself is 2.5 years old...

I need to get some fluorescents I guess. And a storm door because my front door is pretty drafty...

I have a feeling my plasma TV is an energy hog as well along with my home theater receiver which is on anytime the tv is on

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    a roof, hmm. more exterior walls too? that could be part of it.
    Yup, heat rises, but if there is poor insulation that could be a problem. Also, isn't it colder up there this year than last year?

I had a weird bill in August. Well over $300 when all my others were below $200 (about $175 average). I looked at the usage and it didn't look any different. I just figured the rates went up (per the usual), but in September it was normal again. I never persued an explanation but probably should have.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    in most places the higher you go, the lower the heat cost goes.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

They didn't make me put down a deposit.

I used roughly close to the same amount of kWh as last winter. The difference is that with DP&L I was paying .0386 cents per unit while with Duke I'm paying .0764 cents per unit.
    What charges are you talking about sava, distribution or generation? My generation charges (throught Duke) are close to what your old ones are and my distribution charges even lower.

We can theorize all you want, but if you truly believe that the problems lie within your bill and not your home (which you seem to), you need to contact Duke directly and have them go through your bill with you line item by line item. Either there's a mistake or you're consuming energy somewhere you don't realize. Duke's unit pricing is competitive with other companies at this time.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I had a weird bill in August. Well over $300 when all my others were below $200 (about $175 average). I looked at the usage and it didn't look any different. I just figured the rates went up (per the usual), but in September it was normal again. I never persued an explanation but probably should have.
    IIRC, that was the time when we had some serious scorching weather here, TB. Lots of mid 90s and higher days in a stretch of three or four weeks. Your AC may have been running heavily to try to keep your place cool and could have been the culprit driving your bill up.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Turn Off Ads?