Turn Off Ads?

Thread: January '08 Deaths of Several Major Leaguers

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

January '08 Deaths of Several Major Leaguers

Wow, time marches on!

The names on this list bring back lots of memories. Somehow these deaths don't get covered very well by the general sports press.

Steve Ridzik from the 1950 Phillies Whiz Kids

John McHale, Sr.

Don Cardwell

Johnny Podres, excellent Dodger lefty

Gerry Staley, former Red

http://www.thedeadballera.com/passings.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: January '08 Deaths of Several Major Leaguers

John McHale, one of the biggest back room guys in the history of the game, a man most fans don't know at all.

Darn shame.

Podres really knew how to pitch. He threw an awesome change-up which he would later pass on as a pitching coach.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Podres really knew how to pitch. He threw an awesome change-up which he would later pass on as a pitching coach.
    He was so good, San Diego named their team after him.

I hope that's not inappropriate in this thread, but was he a better pitcher or a pitching coach?

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    He was so good, San Diego named their team after him.

I hope that's not inappropriate in this thread, but was he a better pitcher or a pitching coach?
    He was a good pitcher -more of the crafty variety who knew how to pitch. His changeup could made hitters look absolutely stupid. I think he was such a good pitching coach later because his game relied on learned skills and deception rather than strength of arm.

Don Cardwell was mediocre career-wise but he had some good moments, too, including a no-hitter as I recall in the first game after being traded. He was probably better than his stat line because he had the misfortune to play on some really bad teams. I stil have a couple of his 60s cards and now he's gone. Man does time slip by us.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 01-22-2008 at 10:37 PM.

Turn Off Ads?