Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Blanton

Joe Blanton

Besides making a bid for Erik Bedard, the Reds have had some preliminary discussions with the A's regarding Joe Blanton.
    The market for Blanton is quiet now, but it could heat up again if the Mets fail to land Johan Santana. If talks with the Reds get serious at all, the A's would probably ask for Homer Bailey or Johnny Cueto in a deal for Blanton.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_MLB.aspx

I wonder what sort of preliminary discussions they have had. It would seem to indicate that the Reds are moving on from Eric Bedard.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 01-13-2008 at 11:32 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joe Blanton

I really hope they don't include Bailey or Cueto in a Blanton trade. I'd give them Bray, Maloney, and Lecure or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    I really hope they don't include Bailey or Cueto in a Blanton trade. I'd give them Bray, Maloney, and Lecure or something like that.
    I agree he is not worth either of them. I hope the Reds are not itching to get rid of Bailey or Cueto!

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

EriK Bedard
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    and buckeye fans only a week and a half away from another embarrassing loss they'll be forever unable to reconcile though one would think they should be well used to the modern buckeye brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigredfan#1 View Post
    I agree he is not worth either of them. I hope the Reds are not itching to get rid of Bailey or Cueto!
    Yeah don't worry. If Kriv won't give up Cueto for Haren he def. isn't going to give one of them up for a scrub like Blanton

Not sure why this board doesn't dig on Blanton the way I do.

For giggles I compared his 3-year numbers to our top of the rotation guys, and to Derek Lowe, since he seems to be the guy lots of people believe we need to make a run for next off-season.

Here's the breakdown:

Code:
    Player                    W	L	ERA	GS	CG	SO	INN	HA	HRA	BBI	K	GdAO	WHIP	OBA	QS
    Harang, Aaron SP CIN	14	10	3.783	34	3	1	226	224	26	53	199	0.9	1.226	0.3022	19
    Arroyo, Bronson SP CIN	12	12	3.986	34	1	0	219	222	27	60	147	0.8	1.288	0.3151	22
    Blanton, Joe SP OAK	14	11	4.097	33	2	1	208.7	220	19	55	121	1.1	1.318	0.3182	19
    Lowe, Derek SP LA	13	12	3.718	34	2	1	213	213	21	56	139	3	1.263	0.3057	21
    In essence, he's basically another Bronson, with less homers allowed, identical On Base pct, less strikeouts and more groundballs.

GABP (and not AL West stadia) would certainly up his homers, but I also think a move to the NL would put him on par with Arroyo for Ks. Plus there's that groundball tendency of his. It's not DLowe-like. But it's better than what we get out of our roto right now.

I would trade either Cueto or Bailey (whichever one you're less hot on) for 3-arbitration years of him.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

I don't have the numbers in front of me but I have seen them before, and the reason I don't want him, especcially including a deal that would send Cueto or Bailey, is because he is horid away from Oakland. That ballpark helps him out a lot. once you put him in GABP we will be looking at the right handed version of Eric Milton

Actually, I had the same thought. So many are ripping Blanton, but he's pretty on par with what we already have.
    Who's on first?

Blanton doesn't miss bats, and that doesn't always fare well in GABP..........

I'd rather take a chance on Cueto or Bailey panning out.

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    Not sure why this board doesn't dig on Blanton the way I do.

For giggles I compared his 3-year numbers to our top of the rotation guys, and to Derek Lowe, since he seems to be the guy lots of people believe we need to make a run for next off-season.

Here's the breakdown:

Code:
    Player                    W	L	ERA	GS	CG	SO	INN	HA	HRA	BBI	K	GdAO	WHIP	OBA	QS
    Harang, Aaron SP CIN	14	10	3.783	34	3	1	226	224	26	53	199	0.9	1.226	0.3022	19
    Arroyo, Bronson SP CIN	12	12	3.986	34	1	0	219	222	27	60	147	0.8	1.288	0.3151	22
    Blanton, Joe SP OAK	14	11	4.097	33	2	1	208.7	220	19	55	121	1.1	1.318	0.3182	19
    Lowe, Derek SP LA	13	12	3.718	34	2	1	213	213	21	56	139	3	1.263	0.3057	21
    In essence, he's basically another Bronson, with less homers allowed, identical On Base pct, less strikeouts and more groundballs.

GABP (and not AL West stadia) would certainly up his homers, but I also think a move to the NL would put him on par with Arroyo for Ks. Plus there's that groundball tendency of his. It's not DLowe-like. But it's better than what we get out of our roto right now.

I would trade either Cueto or Bailey (whichever one you're less hot on) for 3-arbitration years of him.
    Nice post. I also would really like to get Blanton. His groundball tendencies would play very well here.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    I don't have the numbers in front of me but I have seen them before, and the reason I don't want him, especcially including a deal that would send Cueto or Bailey, is because he is horid away from Oakland. That ballpark helps him out a lot. once you put him in GABP we will be looking at the right handed version of Eric Milton
    He does perform better in Oakland but his ERA on the road the past three years is 4.70... hardly horrid. Blanton is nothing like Eric Milton.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Nice post. I also would really like to get Blanton. His groundball tendencies would play very well here.

Groundball tendencies play much better when you have a good defensive infield. Ours is average.

Groundball tendencies also negate the Great American Ballpark effect.

That said, he's not an extreme GB-pitcher. But he's better about that than our top of the roto guys now.

I might also argue he misses bats as well as Bronson does. Let him face pitchers 3 times a start and watch his K numbers grow.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Blanton has a career 5.83 ERA outside of Oakland, Anaheim and Seattle. He gives up a lot of hits and doesn't strike out many. He basically is a slightly younger and better Josh Fogg. Not a bad pick up, but not even close to being worth a top prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Blanton has a career 5.83 ERA outside of Oakland, Anaheim and Seattle. He gives up a lot of hits and doesn't strike out many. He basically is a slightly younger and better Josh Fogg. Not a bad pick up, but not even close to being worth a top prospect.
    My feeling exactly. A guy that probably wont be much better than a 4 for his career but is a solid innings guy that could help win quite a few games when backed with a solid line up.

Turn Off Ads?