Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joey Votto and Scott Hatteberg and Opening Day

Joey Votto and Scott Hatteberg and Opening Day

Just curious before going into the new season, who do you think has the leg up right now to have won the opening day slot at First on Opening Day and therefore who do you think will get most of the PT. I would love to say Votto on both, but I think Hatteberg will probably start opening day and then Votto gets most of the PT. Just the feeling I get. Just curious as to what you all think of this. Especially since the depth chart was announced supposedly and Hatteberg was ahead of Votto for some reason.

If this thread is somewhere else, I apologize. I couldn't find it...just let me know.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joey Votto and Scott Hatteberg and Opening Day

Its probably Hatteberg above Votto just because you cant let a rookie just have a position. Most in the FO probably imagine Votto being the opening day guy but hes gotta earn it more than Hatte does.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Its probably Hatteberg above Votto just because you cant let a rookie just have a position. Most in the FO probably imagine Votto being the opening day guy but hes gotta earn it more than Hatte does.
    It would be nice to see him earn it and have a fantastic Spring...but I wonder if even a fantastic Spring would even get him the Opening Day nod....

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    It would be nice to see him earn it and have a fantastic Spring...but I wonder if even a fantastic Spring would even get him the Opening Day nod....
    He would have to have a bad spring training not to get the start i would think

He would have to have a bad spring training not to get the start i would think
    oops, i meant to say Votto having a fantastic spring in the statement above....are you referring to hatteberg above? i think we are a tad confused.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    oops, i meant to say Votto having a fantastic spring in the statement above....are you referring to hatteberg above? i think we are a tad confused.
    I think Votto would have to have a very bad spring to not get the starting job

part of BBN

I think Votto would have to have a very bad spring to not get the starting job
    My thinking as well but not sure on Dusty's.
    Votto needs playing time more than a bench role where Hatt could serve an excellent purpose as a a guy coming off bench.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

I agree with Bip. If Joey Votto doesn't start for the Reds why have him on the bench getting rusty. Votto isn't the kind of young player you bring up to sit on the bench as a backup. Hatteberg has been prepared (to be #2 on the depth chart) since Votto's September arrival in Cincinnati and subsequent high level of play and production.

Nothing against Scott but I want to see Joey Votto at 1st base for the next decade+ in the majors as a Red.

I agree with all of you, and its what I think as well. I personally think that Votto deserves to be the starting 1B out of spring and on opening day. Its just when they released those depth charts and Hatteberg was one with Votto number two, it sorta startled me. I would hope they wouldn't go with Hatteberg starting out.

After watching Votto in several ST games last March I thought, "This guy has nothing left to prove in the minors". Don't get me wrong, I felt that holding on to Hatteberg was prudent. But it was obvious Votto was the future, and the Reds didn't realize how ready he was before ST started. I would hope they learned. Votto is ready to be #1 at 1st base.

Senor Votto

If Votto has a good spring training then he should start at 1st Base on Opening Day since he's the younger one and he'll be with the Reds longer than Hatteberg will be. Votto's the Reds future starting 1st baseman and he needs all the experience he can get.

If Votto isn't the starting 1st baseman, I would seriously consider becoming a Braves fan... Votto has nothing left to prove in the minors and he had a great September. The job shouldn't be his to lose, it should be HIS!!

I really like Votto but I am glad he has a class act like Hatteberg to learn from. I think you will see Votto in the Opening Day lineup but both will play an awful lot.

Can I just say that I am really excited about what Votto could and can produce this upcoming season, between and him and Dunn there is no telling how many homers that pair will reach!!!!!!!!

There were some doubts about Votto last year, but I believe he proved himself in September last year. I think the Reds fully expect him to be the starting first baseman on Opening Day, but picked up the option on Hatteberg because it was so cheap. It was also done so they would have some insurance in case Votto was not ready.

Turn Off Ads?