Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Reds #1 pick -- what say you?

The Reds #1 pick -- what say you?

Always like to get the draft talk started early -- we're well within six months of the Reds taking the overall #7 pick, so we're getting there...

Here's a nice list from brewerfan.net -- you can read more about each player on that site.

01 Alvarez, Pedro 3B L/R 6-2/225 Vanderbilt

02 Matusz, Brian LHP L/L 6-4/193 San Diego

03 Crow, Aaron RHP R/R 6-2/205 Missouri

04 Melville, Tim RHP R/R 6-5/205 HS

05 Hosmer, Eric 1B L/L 6-4/210 HS

06 Alonso, Yonder 1B L/R 6-2/215 Miami

07 Smoak, Justin 1B S/L 6-3/200 South Carolina

08 Cole, Gerrit RHP R/R 6-3/190 HS

09 Beckham, Tim SS R/R 6-2/190 HS

10 Meyer, Alex RHP R/R 6-7/200 HS

11 St. Clair, Cole LHP L/L 6-5/225

12 Skipworth, Kyle C L/R 6-3/195 HS

13 Martinez, Harold 3B R/R 6-3/185 HS

14 Hicks, Aaron CF S/R 6-1/160 HS

15 Friedrich, Christian LHP R/L 6-3/210 Eastern Kentucky

16 Martin, Ethan 3B R/R 6-3/200 HS

17 Ross, Tyson RHP R/R 6-6/230 California

18 Thompson, Jacob RHP R/R 6-6/200 Virginia

19 Galloway, Isaac CF R/R 6-3/190 HS

20 Crawford, Brandon SS L/R 6-2/200 UCLA
    I'm a BPA guy for the most part, but I think the team is now in such a good position with young arms that it's reasonable to consider drafting a bat that could emerge while the young arms are settling into what could be a very solid rotation. In that vein, several nice LH bats may be sitting there -- Smoak, Alonso, Hosmer. Keep in mind that soon Griffey (and maybe Dunn) will be gone, and the system features only the likes of Dorn, Francisco and Fiorentino (while looking pretty good from the right side). Having big LH power in GAB is nice -- should the team snag one of these guys?

I'm very intrigued by the two shortstops -- Beckham and Crawford. Crawford is a LH bat with lots of tools coming off a bad Cape Cod summer. The recent BA college chat noted that he has something to prove this year and could move himself into the top of round 1 if he plays well at UCLA. I have to think that with the apparent lack of dominant arms at the top, hot position players are going to come off the board fast. But I'd be quite pleased if either of these shortstops ends up in Cincy (provided Crawford has at least a decent junior year and doesn't seem like a reach).

Interested in others' thoughts.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Reds #1 pick -- what say you?

How could you forget Jay Bruce is LH?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

How could you forget Jay Bruce is LH?
    Votto too -- I didn't forget. But beyond those guys there's not much in the system to count on.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

The best strategy no matter what the situation is to take the best-available-player IMO. Hopefully we are making a move for the NL Central in the coming years and we need propects as bargaining chips more than replacements. That is where having the most valueable prospect calculates into the equation...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

The best strategy no matter what the situation is to take the best-available-player IMO. Hopefully we are making a move for the NL Central in the coming years and we need propects as bargaining chips more than replacements. That is where having the most valueable prospect calculates into the equation...
    Can't argue with that. But folks develop favorites anyway, and in supporting them it's natural to talk about how the players might fit into the team's future, beyond being simply an asset.

I'd love to see either Brian Matusz or Tim Beckham. Either would make me very happy.

After that, I don't really have an axe to grind. Let's see what happens this (amateur) season. I think I read somewhere that Brandon Crawford may not stay at shortstop for the longterm.
    Last edited by Benihana; 01-23-2008 at 03:01 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

let's see, so far this group has picked a defensive CFer with power potential and a defensive C with power potential

I'm going out on a limb: a defensive MIer with power potential

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    let's see, so far this group has picked a defensive CFer with power potential and a defensive C with power potential

Ladies and gentleman, Tim Beckham!
    Go BLUE!!!

I'd say the keyword is "athletic" not "defensive." Buckley has a history of picking middle-of-the-diamond guys (Aaron Hill, Russ Adams). Like I said, the Reds may have a shot at a very good SS prospect this time around.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I want a pure hitter. No more good fielders with questionable bats. Maybe I'm crazy, but I want to use my #1 picks on guys with the highest floors rather than the highest ceilings. Sure, if there's a plus defending SS/CF who has a great plate approach and can hit for power, I'd be all over it. But give me another Joey Votto over another Drew Stubbs.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I'm torn on this class. On one hand I would love to have a future stud SS, on the other I want someone who's somewhat close to contributing.

So whomever is the closest to contributing with the highest possible ceiling and floor would be my choice. My guess is that would be either Alvarez or Matusz assuming either is ava. which I doubt. If both happen to be ava. Matusz would be my selection by an ever so slight margin. Smoak would likely fall 3rd under that scenario.

Of course it's early and I haven't yet got into delving into these guys talents.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I heart Justin Smoak. That kid can flat out rake. But he doesn't fit the Buckley high draft pick mold of MI type.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pick is someone who is not on that list. Mesorasco & Bruce were both considered 3rd to 4th rounders at this time the year before a killer senior year made the Reds take them with the No. 1 slot.

BPA (Best Pitcher Available). Preferably close to contributing.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the pick is someone who is not on that list. Mesorasco & Bruce were both considered 3rd to 4th rounders at this time the year before a killer senior year made the Reds take them with the No. 1 slot.
    agreed. I expect a four tool SS (doesn't hit for average) who moves up in the last month. A rich man's Paul Janish.

I don't have much expertise on amateur players but assuming the top 6 on the Brewerfan list are gone when the Reds pick and based purely on the descriptions shown, I'd go with Beckham or Cole St. Clair. I like a 6-5, 225 LHP with "good stuff, a fresh arm and deception." Since he's a college guy I'd hope for a short minor league tenure.

As for Beckham, I take it that he can hit and since he is described as "silky smooth," I assume he can stay at SS long term. The Reds still need a SS of the future. The curent crop of prospect SS (Frazier, Soto, Valaika) don't really have the glove for the spot. Cozart, Janish and Jose Castro probably don't have the bat. Sleepers might be the international guy Kuo or Angel Cabrera. Castro is probably the best option at this point and he looks strictly like a number 8 hitter to me.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?