Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Light Specials Aisle 4

Blue Light Specials Aisle 4

From Yahoo Sports:

The January Clearance Event is upon us!

It's an inventory blowout!

Baseball executives, you don't want to miss this!

General managers have never been particularly savvy shoppers. Bad contracts are handed to poor ballplayers every year, millions upon millions of dollars wasted on popgun bats and dishrag arms.

Yet the restraint displayed this offseason has been astounding. For the most part, a weak free-agent class has been treated appropriately, with caution bordering on disdain.

Now, though, comes the toughest test for GMs. Spring training is mere weeks away. Will they revert to form, panicking and overspending in the name of depth, injury and a warm body for a rainy day?

Will they become no different than the legions of everyday consumers who exhibit admirable self-control through the holidays only to succumb to the marketing blitz of the new year?

Sound the trumpets. Break out the bunting and balloons. Check out the showroom floor.

Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Mike Piazza, Luis Gonzalez, Shawn Green and Reggie Sanders are available, for starters.

Those six players have combined for 2,777 home runs, 8,443 RBIs, 1,358 stolen bases and 41 All-Star appearances. Sure, there's the whiff of Grecian Formula with all of them, the stench of performance-enhancing drugs with more than one and a pesky perjury charge when it comes to Bonds.

But let's not pretend that all 30 teams have three outfielders better than the scowling slugger with the oversized noggin. And every team doesn't have a better fourth or fifth outfielder than Gonzalez, Green or Sanders. Or better pinch-hitters than Sosa or Piazza.

MLB insiders say a glut of aging free-agent hitters entered the offseason in need of a severe reality check to reduce their salary demands. Still on the market are 40 position players who were paid at least $1 million last year. Many will have to settle for a minor-league offer and an invitation to major league spring training.

"There's a pattern to this," one high-ranking club official said. "Agents try to get a multi-year deal, then when it's clear that won't happen they look for a one-year deal for money the player has been accustomed to getting.

"About now, some of them start to realize those deals aren't going to materialize and they look for a place where there will be playing time."

GMs, then, have gained leverage.

Save up to 90 percent on this Winter Warm-up Sale!

Bonds won't approach the $15.8 million he made last year. Piazza won't come close to the $8.5 million he was paid, and Green ($9.5 million), Gonzalez ($7.35 million) and Sanders ($5 million) are in for steep cuts as well. Sosa will be lucky to get the $500,000 he was paid by the Texas Rangers, if he gets an offer at all.

Teams needing an outfielder or corner infielder with a solid hitting resume have plenty of options. How about a sporty compact? Kick the tires on these former leadoff hitters who won't embarrass you batting eighth.

There's Kenny Lofton, who batted .296 with 23 stolen bases last season and ranks 15th all-time with 622 career steals.

And Shannon Stewart, who batted .290 in 146 games. And lesser light Corey Patterson.

Or how about medium-level pop? Any of these guys can be had for extra-low, shelf-clearing prices: Pedro Feliz. Tony Clark. Brad Wilkerson. Bobby Kielty. Kevin Mench. Ryan Klesko. Sean Casey.

Plus, check the aisle marked Final Clearance: Mike Sweeney. Preston Wilson. Olmedo Saenz. Trot Nixon. Rondell White. Jeff Conine.

Hurry in while supplies last!

"A handful of guys could still land on their feet and get guaranteed contracts for more money than they are probably worth," an NL executive said. "There are too many of them out there this year, though. A lot of guys are scrambling right now."

So, who is a likely sucker, er, buyer for an outfielder?

The Baltimore Orioles, who can't be sure Luke Scott – acquired from the Houston Astros in the Miguel Tejada deal – will cut it in left field. They also might need DH insurance because of Aubrey Huff's sports hernia. The Oakland Athletics are currently counting on unproven Chris Denorfia and ho-hum Emil Brown.

The Florida Marlins are thrusting Cameron Maybin into center field, hoping to quickly justify the Miguel Cabrera trade. The St. Louis Cardinals are banking on super prospect Colby Rasmus, not to mention Chris Duncan and Rick Ankiel. The San Diego Padres have only four outfielders on their depth chart and one is somebody named Callix Crabbe, a Rule 5 pick whose minor league experience is at second base.

Potential shoppers for bats to fill backup roles include the Atlanta Braves, the Milwaukee Brewers, the Boston Red Sox, Minnesota Twins, New York Mets and Toronto Blue Jays. Are the San Francisco Giants really going to open the season with Dave Roberts in left field and Randy Winn in right? Do the Washington Nationals feel secure with Wily Mo Pena and Elijah Dukes?

There is a different dynamic in the pitching market, with few proven free agents and the always insatiable need for teams to accumulate as many arms as possible heading into spring training. Sign of the times: Brett Tomko, he of a 4-12 record and 5.55 ERA last season, just got a $3 million, one-year contract from the Kansas City Royals.

Soon a team is bound to cave in on a multiyear deal for Kyle Lohse. Probably Josh Fogg and Livan Hernandez, too. One-year contracts for guarantees upward of $1 million will be handed out like Skittles (sorry for borrowing your line, Roger) to the weak and infirm.

Hello, Bartolo Colon, Kris Benson, Freddy Garcia, Jeff Weaver, Eric Milton and Steve Trachsel.

Remember, all out-of-date models must go!

Of course, there are no warranties on these items. GMs are well-acquainted with the term caveat emptor.

But with prices dropping by the day, how can they resist. These are savings to savor.

The Spring Training Sales Spectacular is here!
    Interesting article I doubt Wayne will take a shot but you never know how spring training will go.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Blue Light Specials Aisle 4

I'm honestly shocked that some AL team who thinks they can contend hasn't thrown caution to the wind and signed Bonds.

Actually, I take that back. After running down the list in my head, the only AL teams w/o a stud DH are ones that are miles away from contending (with the exception of maybe Seattle) so perhaps the market is much more correctly aligned than I first thought.

I also heard on XM yesterday that Wilkerson wanted a 3 year $20 mil plus deal to sign. That's so off the mark laughable I can't even find the words.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Jeff Conine is available? C'mon Yahoo.. He retired

Kevin Mench makes so much sense for the Reds... could be the RH bat to plug in for Griff or Dunn against tough LH ... now that its getting bargain basement time... what doth hinder WK?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    Kevin Mench makes so much sense for the Reds... could be the RH bat to plug in for Griff or Dunn against tough LH ... now that its getting bargain basement time... what doth hinder WK?
    Quit trying to make sense with rational thought. That is way off base. Mench sounds ideal for a bench spot, but of course it won't happen.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I'm honestly shocked that some AL team who thinks they can contend hasn't thrown caution to the wind and signed Bonds.

Actually, I take that back. After running down the list in my head, the only AL teams w/o a stud DH are ones that are miles away from contending (with the exception of maybe Seattle) so perhaps the market is much more correctly aligned than I first thought.

I also heard on XM yesterday that Wilkerson wanted a 3 year $20 mil plus deal to sign. That's so off the mark laughable I can't even find the words.
    Especially when there's no way to tell for sure if Wilkerson still has his old HGH hookup.

Mench or Ensberg makes too much sense.

True but Mench's #'s against LH pitching is crazy - like .314 ... I want his bat on the bench and I will really be disappointed if WK doesn't find a way to make it happen (or make some kinda move to net us a bench player w/ that kinda production against left-handers)

What I'm saying is.... Ensberg would be nice too, but if I had to pick one - It'd be Mench.. hands down.

You had me at hello....

What?

Or how about medium-level pop? Any of these guys can be had for extra-low, shelf-clearing prices:... Sean Casey.
    Medium-level pop? The Mayor has 850 AB's with 12 HR's over the past three seasons. Nope. You just lost me again. Speaking of medium level pop, go and get me a Crystal Pepsi.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Tony Womack, come on down!
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Isn't Steve Finley available?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Is Ensberg really still out there? I was requesting him in another thread a month or so back. I still think he would be ideal as a back-up/sometime starter (1b) at 3B and 1b. Decent right-handed power off the bench and in the line-up on occasion? Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Was at the Carolina Baseball Center working out with my son last Friday evening, and Womack was there, working out, hitting and throwing. Don't know if he is mulling a comeback, but he was taking it pretty seriously.

This makes it clear why Hatteburg hasn't been dealt yet. Why deal for him when you could just sign Sweeney, Piazza, Ensburg, Mench or some of these other guys?

That said, I wouldn't mind any of the four I mention as a RH bat off the bench and platoon 1B and moving Hatteburg somewhere else. Unless that happens though, Mench as a fourth OF is the only one that makes much sense (although Ensburg in lieu of Castro would be OK) as backup 1B/3B

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    ..and keep on going! until at least Dan O gets another FO gig
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?