Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Extra Innings?

Extra Innings?

I can't remember the final outcome last year. Was it a one year deal, or will EI be available for the upcoming season? (I mean for those w/o DirecTV)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Extra Innings?

No it was muti year deal. I think through 2011. I have DISH and missed it last year. I think DISH could still buy into it but they are highly unlikely too. I read that they didn't really have all that many subscribers to EI to pay what MLB wanted.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I've got a related query on this topic.

If I move out of the Reds normal viewing area, and I buy EI, will I be able to watch Reds games live or will I only have access to the team in my potential new market [likely Tamp Bay or Atlanta]?

I don't want to invest the dollars if blackout rules will prevent me from watching the games live.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I've got a related query on this topic.

If I move out of the Reds normal viewing area, and I buy EI, will I be able to watch Reds games live or will I only have access to the team in my potential new market [likely Tamp Bay or Atlanta]?

I don't want to invest the dollars if blackout rules will prevent me from watching the games live.
    If you're out of the Reds market area, you'll see the games live with EI.

If you're out of the Reds' market, you'll get the games live. No blackouts that I could see being a problem as long as you're outside the market.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Thanks for the quick responses folks.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Depends on the scope of the blackout area. In Chicago, I get every Reds game on EI. However, if either the Sox or Cubs are on WGN or Cable, the game is blacked out. Here's a handy link to a map of blackout areas. http://bp1.blogger.com/_wvoLtwni0kc/...LBBLACKOUT.jpg

Notice Reds territory (including overlap with other teams) is:
    - All of Ohio except the Cleveland metro
    - All of Indiana except the Chicago metro
    - Western West Virginia
    - All of Kentucky
    - All of Tennessee
    - Western North Carolina
    - Memphis Metro in Mississippi
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 01-24-2008 at 10:34 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Depends on the scope of the blackout area. In Chicago, I get every Reds game on EI. However, if either the Sox or Cubs are on WGN or Cable, the game is blacked out. Here's a handy link to a map of blackout areas. http://bp1.blogger.com/_wvoLtwni0kc/...LBBLACKOUT.jpg

Notice Reds territory (including overlap with other teams) is:
    - All of Ohio except the Cleveland metro
    - All of Indiana except the Chicago metro
    - Western West Virginia
    - All of Kentucky
    - All of Tennessee
    - Western North Carolina
    - Memphis Metro in Mississippi
    But to be fair, they have to offer the games on another channel in the system.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Worth The Wait

Extra Innings is great and I will most likely get it this year again, but the blackout rules are quite stupid.

I live in Oklahoma City. In OKC, MLB has decided that our "home team" is as follows:

Cardinals
    Astros
    Rangers
    Royals

None of those teams can be viewed by EI here in OKC. Now, we get almost every Cardinals game on local cable, and we also get a number of Astros game via local cable and FSN. However, even if those games are NOT televised locally, they are STILL blacked out via EI.

As a Reds fan, it's not a big deal. I may miss a few games every year against the Astros, but I get all the rest. But if you are a fan of the Royals living here... you will see about 5-6 games a year and none on EI. Stupid.

Just check and see who the "Home" teams are in your region.

I live in New Orleans, and the only "local" teams are the Astros and Rangers.

I get almost all the Astros games anyway, bet FSn and a local channel. And a few Rangers games.

So, I'm in a pretty good place.

My biggest problem was when they would piggyback games on the same channel. If an Astros game went extras, the second game would be blacked out until the Astros game was over. Wierd.
    Last edited by SandyD; 01-24-2008 at 09:38 PM.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Gosh, and I thought you were talking about the late-night (I shouldn't have drank that last one) post-game Reds show on 700 WLW.

Turn Off Ads?