Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: Failed Picks

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    princeton, nj
    Posts
    9,482

    Re: Failed Picks

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think the point is made, nearly every team could look at their draft history in this way.
    you're kidding, right?

    your numbers show that the Reds produced three pretty good ballplayers, when the Royals had absolutely none. That's a huge difference. That's hope vs. hopelessness

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,067

    Re: Failed Picks

    your numbers show that the Reds produced three pretty good ballplayers, when the Royals had absolutely none. That's a huge difference. That's hope vs. hopelessness
    not hopelessness -- KC's drafted pretty well lately -- nobody drafts well all the time, nobody bombs all the time -- there's no "system" to it
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    princeton, nj
    Posts
    9,482

    Re: Failed Picks

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    not hopelessness -- KC's drafted pretty well lately -- nobody drafts well all the time, nobody bombs all the time -- there's no "system" to it
    ugh. I worry about pattern recognition by Americans

  5. #19
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Failed Picks

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Let's do this for the Reds, looking at players with solid major league careers drafted after us in the first round, including the supplemental.

    Year, Pick: Player (career) - Could Have Had: Player Pick,

    1989, #20: OF Scott Bryant (minors only) - CHH: Tom Goodwin #22, Mo Vaughn #23, Chuck Knoblauch #25, Todd Jones #27
    1990, #7: C Dan Wilson (solid major league career) - CHH: Jeromy Burnitz #17, Mike Mussina #20
    1991, #20: SS Pokey Reese (decent major league career) - CHH: Aaron Sele #23, Scott Hatteberg #43
    1992, #5: OF Chad Mottola (cup of coffee) - CHH: Derek Jeter #6, Preston Wilson #9, Michael Tucker #10, Shannon Stewart #19, Jason Kendall #23, Charles Johnson #28, Johnny Damon #35
    1993, #32: OF Pat Watkins (cup of cofee) - CHH: Nobody of note
    1994, #9, P CJ Nitkowski (cup of coffee) - CHH: Nomar Garciaparra #12, Paul Konerko #13, Jason Varitek #14, Terrance Long #20
    1995, No Pick
    1996, #25 OF John Oliver (minors only) - CHH: Chris Reitsma #34, Jason Marquis #35
    1997, #14 3B Brandon Larson (cup of coffee) - CHH: Lance Berkman #16, Adam Kennedy #20, Jack Cust #30,
    1998, #7 OF Austin Kearns (solid major leager) - CHH: Brad Lidge #17, CC Sabathia #20

    So we had more first rounders reach the majors than not (8/10), but only 3 guys who did anything of note in the majors. I think the point is made, nearly every team could look at their draft history in this way. Chances are each team will have a few good hits, a few really bad misses, and a whole lot of missed opportunities. You look at a team like the Braves and they went from Chipper Jones in 1990 until Adam Wainwright in 2000 without hitting on a single good first round pick.

    You figure there are only 5-10 guys from each first round who really turn out to have decent major league careers. Doing the math, that leaves each team with 1 good first round pick every 3 or 4 years. Ouch. A team who gets a decent major leaguer every other year is ahead of the curve. What becomes notable as you look through the list of first round picks is how many superstars were passed over at least once by everybody.
    Watch what you say about CJ...he was my HS teammate.

  6. #20
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,898

    Re: Failed Picks

    Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    you're kidding, right?

    your numbers show that the Reds produced three pretty good ballplayers, when the Royals had absolutely none. That's a huge difference. That's hope vs. hopelessness
    Here's an exercise. Take 350 first round draft picks over 10 years. Assign them randomly to 30 teams. See how many teams end up with how many good major leaguers.

    If you assume a 25% success rate for first rounders become decent major leaguers, the chances of getting no decent major leaguers is .75^11.7 (350/30) = 3.5%. That means if players were assigned randomly, you'd likely get at least 1 team with no good major leaguers. The average team will get 3.

    Now, I understand that the Royals tended to pick in the upper half of the draft. I also understand that talent evaluation and development is hardly random. However, I think understanding that if it were random, at least 1 team would probably get nobody of value is an important point. It's a real crapshoot out there.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,067

    Re: Failed Picks

    ugh. I worry about pattern recognition by Americans
    the pattern that is patternlessness counts too
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  8. #22
    Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Florence, KY
    Posts
    3,118

    Re: Failed Picks

    Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Just an example from ESPN.com and one that obviously does not represent all teams:

    THE ROYALS SELECT...
    Player Career Could've had (1st round)
    27. Jim Pittsley, RHP (No. 17, 1992) 7-12, 6.02 Shannon Stewart (No. 19)
    26. Jeff Granger, LHP (No. 5, 1993) 0-1, 9.09 Derrek Lee (No. 14)
    25. Matt Smith, 1B/LHP (No. 16, 1994) Never reached majors Scott Elarton (No. 25)
    24. Juan LeBron, OF (No. 19, 1995) Never reached majors Michael Barrett (No. 28)
    23. Dermal Brown, OF (No. 14, 1996) .234, 14 HRs Eric Milton (No. 20)
    22. Dan Reichert, RHP (No. 7), 1997 21-25, 5.55 Lance Berkman (No. 16)
    21. Jeff Austin, RHP (No. 4, 1998) 2-3, 6.75 Brad Lidge (No. 17)
    20. Kyle Snyder, RHP (No. 7, 1999 2-9, 5.64 Barry Zito (No. 9)
    19. Mike Stodolka, LHP (No. 4, 2000) Never reached majors Chase Utley (No. 15)
    18. Colt Griffin, RHP (No. 9, 2001) Never reached majors Bobby Crosby (No. 25)

    From 92 to 2001 the Royals selected 10 players who never worked out for one reason or another this and other reasons have set there franchise back a great deal. The Pirates and Reds also come to mind because of injury problems they have had with first round pitchers. I know that the MLB having more rounds allows you to absorb some of the blow of missing on a pick. But how much did Gruler getting hurt or passing on a Linecom hurt the Reds or any team for that matter.
    It saddens me that a guy with the name of Juan LeBron didn't go anywhere.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,499

    Re: Failed Picks

    Just a minor note about "making the majors" as being a meaningful category. Bad organizations have a real stake in getting their high picks into the majors, however briefly. It makes them look less bad than they really are.

  10. #24
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,703

    Re: Failed Picks

    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Just a minor note about "making the majors" as being a meaningful category. Bad organizations have a real stake in getting their high picks into the majors, however briefly. It makes them look less bad than they really are.
    That is true. Add that the fact that they are bad provides ample opportunity for marginal guys to get extended playing time.

    We should call this the Householder effect. Younger 'zoners may wish to call it the Larson theorem.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  11. #25
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,881

    Re: Failed Picks

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    That is true. Add that the fact that they are bad provides ample opportunity for marginal guys to get extended playing time.

    We should call this the Householder effect. Younger 'zoners may wish to call it the Larson theorem.
    Eh, Larson at least was killing it in AAA before he got his chance. There are other guys who have gotten to the majors with having no success in the minors at all, see Sardinha, Dane.

  12. #26
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Failed Picks

    Thanks RMR, you had to remind us about Chad Mottola.

    I had completely forgotten about that horrendous pick.

  13. #27
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,622

    Re: Failed Picks

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Eh, Larson at least was killing it in AAA before he got his chance. There are other guys who have gotten to the majors with having no success in the minors at all, see Sardinha, Dane.
    Not that it has any bearing on your overall point, but lots of times players will get a free pass to the bigs at premium defensive positions. Sardinha is a perfect example of that -- most teams can afford to have a weak-stick backup catcher on the roster if injury creates a need for a warm body on the 25 man. You can also look at guys like Bergolla and Olmedo -- defense-first players who couldn't hit a lick and only get ML service time because injuries required a backup be summoned from AAA.

    Paul Janish and Chris Dickerson should expect similar career paths.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  14. #28
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: Failed Picks

    IIrc, Sardinha being on the Major League roster had more to do with him having a Major League contract (and in 2003, the Reds didn't have another team playing in September).


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25