Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with an internet search

Worth The Wait

Help with an internet search

Don't ask why I'm looking for this, but..........

I am trying to find two lists:

--The list of D1 college football teams and their last bowl appearance. In other words, a list of the teams with the longest bowl games drought in the counry.

--Same thing for the men's NCAA tournament. When was the last time each school appeared?

I thought this would be an easy find, but I've looked high and low to no avail. As always, someone from Redszone will probably come along and prove that I am an idiot

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Help with an internet search

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/bowls/index.php probably has the football data you are looking for, but I didn't see any place on the site that would generate what you are looking for. Maybe you could email the dude running that site and see if they would set it up for you?

Worth The Wait

I'll email him. Thanks! Never thought finding this info would be so hard???

When you find it..make a wiki article so the next guy can find it easier
    Go Gators!

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I always thought someone could make a ton of money by starting a site called lists.com (or something like that), and the site is organized to conveniently find all kinds of lists. Lists of basketball statistics, types of vegetables, cameo appearances by celebrities, and anything else obscure or popular.

Worth The Wait

Still can't find it!

You're probably better off just generating your own sort of list.
    Of course you're going to have to define exactly what you're looking for.

For example, Gonzaga appeared in the E-W Christmas Classic in 1922, their only post season appearance. They no longer have a football program. Do they count?

Thing is, there are only 119? current schools in conferences that feed the bowls. Some may have NEVER been to a bowl game.

If you're just looking at the longest gap to date, Rice is a pretty good candidate. They were in the 2006 New Orleans Bowl. Their last appearance before that was 1961, I believe. So, you'd only have to look for schools with a gap greater than that.

edit: thru ochre's link above, there's a list of all the "formerly known as" div 1a teams. Under each school, there's a link to their history. Then their "bowl history."

Temple's most recent bowl was 1979. New Mexico State's was 1960. That's the longest I was able to find, but I didn't look too hard. ULM and Buff have no bowl appearances.
    Last edited by SandyD; 01-26-2008 at 12:52 PM.

Like Sandy said there are only 119 D1 football schools. 64 or 66 of them played in a bowl game this year, I can't remember if there are 32 bowls and the NC game or 32 including the NC game.

Worth The Wait

Yeah, still can't find it. Too lazy to do my own research. Bascially, what I was trying to find was the most inept major school in the two major sports: Which shcool has the longest drought from being in a Bowl Game and the NCAA Tourney....when was the last time they were in either. My theory is that it is Baylor, and I was trying to prove this to a Baylor fan. But alas.....

Thanks to everyone for the help though!

I think I read somewhere but don't remember where that Northwestern has never been in the NCAA tournament. Of the major conferences in D-1 I would think they may the only school that has not made the tourney.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The football half of the answer... http://dpdsdogs.com/ncaa/bowlstks.htm

Pay attention to the open sky

Here's a Wikipedia article. It lists every schools record and last appearance in the NCAA tournament. I went down the list and Northwestern has not appeared in the NCAA tournament. They looked like the only major conference team to not appear. Of the teams that appeared at least once Harvard has the biggest drought. They were in it once in 1946. Dartmouth was next in 1959 and Yale after that in 1962. Seeing a trend here....
    I'm sure there are plenty of mid-majors and low majors that have never appeared too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Me...and_Conference
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I think I read somewhere but don't remember where that Northwestern has never been in the NCAA tournament. Of the major conferences in D-1 I would think they may the only school that has not made the tourney.
    Out of the six biggest conferences they are the only one that hasn't gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Out of the six biggest conferences they are the only one that hasn't gone.
    With the tournament being expanded to 65 teams for quite a while now that is really embarrassing. Not only for Northwestern but the Big Ten as well.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    With the tournament being expanded to 65 teams for quite a while now that is really embarrassing. Not only for Northwestern but the Big Ten as well.
    Yep, wasn't it just 16 teams many years ago, then 24, then 32, then 40...?

As late as the 1970s, if you didn't win your conference, you stood a good chance of settling for the NIT. Some ranked teams were left out of the NCAA tournament.

Today anything less than a bid is pretty dismal for major conference teams.
    Last edited by macro; 01-28-2008 at 11:52 AM.

Turn Off Ads?