Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Livan close to deal with the Mets

Livan close to deal with the Mets

From Tracy Ringolsby:

Right-hander Livan Hernandez, who is a workhorse, is close to a deal with the Mets, where he will be reunited with brother Orlando Hernandez.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...-big-spenders/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Livan close to deal with the Mets

I bet some people on this board are totally ticked off about this.

YEA!!!!

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

That's cool b/c if the Met's sign Livan hopefully that ends their thoughts of going after Bedard. Maybe not, but I'm hoping it does.

I am one of those who was in favor of the Reds signing Livan Hernandez. It became clear after the Affeldt signing that the Reds would not acquire any more starting pitching, but I really think Livan would have been a better FA signing. He will give you 200 IP and plenty of quality starts, even though I concede he will not miss bats and will also surrender home runs. There is no evidence Affeldt will ever be a starter, and I really think a one year deal with an option for a second year could have done and made the Reds abetter team.

He had trouble pitching in the pitcher friendly parks of the NL west. He would get blown to bits in the NL central.

Ill look up some stats later if I feel like it.

no need for any more worn out arms here

If the Mets fail to pull off a Santana trade, indications are that Lohse -- not Livan Hernandez -- is their top free agent fallback. But that November buzz about Lohse seeking Gil Meche-caliber money seems like a long ways away.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotsto...rry&id=3212018

He may not be a Met just yet.

I don't really care either way if Livian is a Met or not. I really dont think the Reds wanted to pick up a retread arm only in hopes of having to admit that it is a dead season.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Senor Votto

I'm glad the Reds didn't go after Livan, myself. I don't think he would do very good in GABP with his home run numbers. He gave up a lot of homers in those NL West Ball Parks so he'd be even worse in GABP. I'd rather him pitch against then have him pitch for the Reds. But that's just my opinion.

At present the Mets are trying to work on a trade for Santana. They will not be signing any free agents if that goes through. As for Livan, you can look at it both ways. He would give us innings and keep us in ballgames, but he would also not miss bats and surrender a lot of home runs. I think he is the best FA option(not saying much), so I might consider a 1 year deal. It does not look like any of the remaining SP free agents will get longer than 1 year.

Turn Off Ads?