Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Help

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Computer Help

I have a program on my computer called Spyware Detector that I cannot get rid of.

It ordinarily wouldn't be an issue, but I need the space and it keeps starting itself to tell me how much spywar I have in my computer.

I've tried deleting it, dropping it in the recycle bin, etc., but I get an error message when I do telling me I cannot do that.

Anybody know how to get rid of this stupid thing?

It's been on my computer for a few years, so a restore point won't work either.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Computer Help

A.) Add/Remove programs in the control panel
    or
    B.) Look for the program under programs and see if it has an uninstall
    or
    C.) Look in My Computer then to the drive that the program is installed on it such as C: and look in its folder to see if it has an uninstall in the folder
    or
    D.) Right click on the icon for it and see if it has preferences or options and if there is a delete or uninstall there.
    or
    If none of those common methods help you can delete it from the registry.

What SF says. That's about all you can do, other then formatting the computer.

And if you want a solid and very reliable spyware program Dom, may I suggest Webroot's Spy Sweeper. IMHO, it's one of the best.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Did you install this? Sometimes spyware will install a spyware remover that you cannot get rid of.

Thanks for the help. I have tried all of these except for deleting from the registry (I don't know how).

When I add/removed, I got an error telling me it could not be deleted with the error, "Could not read source file" or something like that.

I paid for and downloaded a few years back and it may be forcing me to keep it, but there has to be a way to get rid of this so it stops running a spyware report every day and then trys to get m to repurchase this piece of junk program.

Research that programs site a bit and see if they have instructions to delete or uninstall it.

If you have that program still on your computer, meaning if you can reinstall it, it may add the missing files and then allow you to uninstall it completely. It should write over the old adding the missing files then allow you to uninstall properly.

For the registry edit or unintsall of it you go to RUN type in regedit.
    On the tool bar in the registry you go to edit, then find, and type in the name of that program example "spyware", it will take you to each place that a part of that is in your registry. You can delete each portion that comes up.

I hesitate to suggest that to you because one can mess up there computer and might be coming back and saying thanks PAL, sigh, but for my computer, that is what I do when I cannot get rid of a program, I delete instances of it from the registry.

After that I go to microsoft live care to use their free cleanup that also goes through the registry to clean up invalid entries ect. other clutter on the computer elsewhere.

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/cleanup.htm

Someone else might want to give you more specific details about deleting it from the registry.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 01-27-2008 at 12:03 AM.

Thanks, SF. I went through the registry and deleted every trace of it. We'll see if that fixes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Thanks, SF. I went through the registry and deleted every trace of it. We'll see if that fixes it.
    When you get time for the short download from live care, run it to clean out the pieces of it in the registry, it should find invalid entries for it now, and clean them on out.

I see you computer is still running, I can breath now. Shoo!

Just in case you have to restore any registry items for other programs that might have been effected. Here is a clear and conscise directive from Microsoft.

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/a...leaner_why.htm
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 01-27-2008 at 12:24 AM.

"My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Also going into Safe Mode may help you use the Add/Remove programs option in Control Panel. It has worked for me in the past.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I like that thanks,
    I downloaded and used it, it seemed to find quite a bit of unecessary "stuff".

The only question that came to mind was that after I used the ccleaner twice and then I went to the microsoft cleaner online and it found 101 invalid items after using ccleaner, not quite sure why that would be.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    I like that thanks,
    I downloaded and used it, it seemed to find quite a bit of unecessary "stuff".

The only question that came to mind was that after I used the ccleaner twice and then I went to the microsoft cleaner online and it found 101 invalid items after using ccleaner, not quite sure why that would be.
    I don't know, but I have used ccleaner for years and I have absolutely zero issues with it. it does the job IMO.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Does this CCleaner basically do the same thing that Ace Utilities and Registry Mechanic does? I already have both.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Does this CCleaner basically do the same thing that Ace Utilities and Registry Mechanic does? I already have both.
    Registry Mechanic is suppose to be pretty good, I don't know anything about Ace Utilities. CCleaner seems to be like Registry Mechanic. You would have to make that comparison. I like the CCleaner, works well. I think.

In addition, this is a good tool for finding what gets autostarted on your system....

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx

Russinovich and Cogswell do some good stuff.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?