Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Upton Bros. or Jay Bruce..

Bleeding Red in the South

The Upton Bros. or Jay Bruce..

Was reading a Keith Law chat this morning regarding the Upton brothers, and Jay Bruce is mentioned a few times. Law rates both brothers ahead of Jay. My question to you guys is if you would trade Jay straight up for either of those guys.

here's the link..

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18900

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: The Upton Bros. or Jay Bruce..

I think the Uptons may possibly have more abilities than Bruce, but I'd still rather have Bruce. I think durability will be big concerns with the Uptons while Jay Bruce was made to play baseball in almost every sense of the word.

Did BJ learn how to defend? I dont think either Upton will have career that Bruce will have, while I do believe they will be solid major leaguers.
    Forgot who I was talking about haha..
    Last edited by Dracodave; 01-27-2008 at 12:22 PM.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Matt Law has a history of denigrating the Reds organization and players, and this was one more example of it. He clearly did not believe Bruce was the best young prospect in the minors, or even the best outfield prospect. He not only claimed the Uptons were better than Bruce, but that Matt Kemp of the Dodgers was better. I don't think I would trade any of the three for Jay Bruce. I will concede that Law had a point when he suggested Bruce might only OBP .340 at the major league level. Some more time at AAA might help Bruce be a better hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    . I don't think I would trade any of the three for Jay Bruce. I will concede that Law had a point when he suggested Bruce might only OBP .340 at the major league level. Some more time at AAA might help Bruce be a better hitter.
    I trade Bruce for all three and call it a day though, as much as I like Bruce..wait..who am I kidding.. Keep'em..we'll keep Bruce.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Matt Law has a history of denigrating the Reds organization and players
    Is Matt Law Keith's brother?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    He's a cousin.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I mis-typed that. I did mean Keith Law.

I think Kieth Law wakes up every morning thinking of new ways to piss off Redszone. Calling Harang a #4 starter was probably more ridiculous, but hating on "The Boss" is way out of line.

Keith Law also thinks Mike Moustakas (2007s #2 overall draft pick and Jim Callis' #6 overall prospect in the minor leagues) isn't one of the 10 best prospects from the 2007 draft. Anything Keith Law says automatically makes me think the exact opposite is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I think Kieth Law wakes up every morning thinking of new ways to piss off Redszone. Calling Harang a #4 starter was probably more ridiculous, but hating on "The Boss" is way out of line.
    It's not just Reds players or any particular team's players, he pisses off everyone. A year ago, I heard him on a Boston radio show talking about how Josh Beckett was already too old to ever live up to his potential and ridiculing the choice of Dustin Pedroia as the Red Sox starting 2B. Yes, he was actually making fun of a 23 year old rookie on the radio.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?