Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trouble in Steeler Country

Trouble in Steeler Country

Ben Roethlisberger likes tall guys; Hines Ward no longer likes Ben Roethlisberger
    By MJD

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 12:35 pm EST
    Ben Roethlisberger recently expressed a desire for the Steelers to acquire a tall receiver, which, at least to me, doesn't sound like an unreasonable request. As it turns out, though, it made Hines Ward so mad that he's vowed to never again taste Big Ben's Beef Jerky.

In Ben's defense, he didn't make the request in any kind of a way that was disparaging to the Steelers current receivers. In fact, he went out of his way to make the point that he liked them:

"I'm always going to ask for a tall receiver," Roethlisberger said in an interview with the Post-Gazette. "That's just me. Our receivers are unbelievable, but our tallest guy might be Hines. Or Santonio [Holmes]. Hines is going to say he's 6 foot, but he's 5-11."

That doesn't sound so inflammatory. But here are some of the things that Hines told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in response:

"I don't hear Tom Brady or Peyton Manning asking for that."

"I don't know, whatever he says. I have no idea. To me, it's a rare combination of receivers out there who are good and tall. We won a Super Bowl, we didn't have a tall receiver then. I don't see Tom Brady caring about who's tall or not. He got Randy this year, but he did it before without him.''

"To me, I have enough problems to worry about than what Ben wants -- I can't give him the contract. He wants a tall receiver? Why did we draft Santonio [Holmes]?"

Uh-oh ... someone's got a little man complex. That seems like a gross overreaction to an innocuous statement about a preference for a receiver with some height.

I'll say this for Ben, too: When he did play alongside Plaxico Burress with the Steelers, Plax made a ton of plays for him. Any time Ben got in trouble, he'd scramble, and it seemed like he always ended up looking for Plax downfield. They made a lot of plays that way.

Not that I don't enjoy the public sniping, but I think Hines is just going to have to get over this one. I think it's obvious, judging from the number of times that Rothelisberger throws Ward's way, that Roethlisberger likes him and thinks he's a good receiver.

So Ben likes tall guys ... so what? that doesn't mean you aren't special in your own way, Hines. It's not you, it's Ben. It's about what he's going through right now. At this point in his life, he just wants to be with someone who doesn't have to sit on seven phone books to be able to drive. I'm sure you two can still be friends.

*Hines,

I agree with you. How dare Big Ben make such horrible attackes against your lack of height! I think you should opt out of your contract and play in the NFC. That way you don't have to tear up the Bengals defense twice a season.

Hope you find a nice home in the NFC,

Forfreelin04

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trouble in Steeler Country

Both seem like cry babies to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Both seem like cry babies to me.
    That's because they are cry babies.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    That's because they are cry babies.

At first I thought this was a legitimate request, but he does have a receiver that is 6'5.

Problem is, he is a tight end.

If the Bengals didn't have Henry, i'd have no problem with Carson making similar comments. A tall receiver, whether it be a tight end, is going to give you a tall red zone target and whether the receivers like it or not, its going to help the team overall in the long run.

I think Hines is worried that a taller receiver may cut into his stats.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Ward should come out and say something similar

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    There's no crying in football.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    At first I thought this was a legitimate request, but he does have a receiver that is 6'5.

Problem is, he is a tight end.

If the Bengals didn't have Henry, i'd have no problem with Carson making similar comments. A tall receiver, whether it be a tight end, is going to give you a tall red zone target and whether the receivers like it or not, its going to help the team overall in the long run.

I think Hines is worried that a taller receiver may cut into his stats.
    If Ward spent any time worrying about his stats, he wouldn't still be a Steeler because at this point he's sacrificed a bunch of yards and touchdowns by staying with one of the most run-oriented teams in recent history.

And I do agree with the article's writer about Ward blowing it a bit out of proportion, although he's likely just standing up for his guys. Ben's just lobbying for what he considers to be the missing piece. He did love having Plax as an option and lobbied for the Steelers to re-sign him before he left for the Giants.

Ben has the tough possession guy in Hines, speed out of the slot in Holmes, and a big target in Heath Miller for the middle of the field. I think what he wants is a big wideout who can create some separation, catch the ball when thrown high (a good number of Ben's INT's come off tipped passes thrown high), and give Pitt a better red-zone fade option. Lastly, a taller guy is much easier to see in space while being pressured and the Steelers' offensive line allows that far too often.

Honestly, I have no issue with Ben's request. It'd make life a lot easier for the guy. And if this ends up being the big controversy for the offseason while other teams have to deal with criminal behavior, drugs, etc. from their players, then I'll feel pretty lucky.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

He should be more worried about getting Parker back because with out the play action hes terrible.

He should be more worried about getting Parker back because with out the play action hes terrible.
    Give me a break. It's quite obvious that you haven't seen Roethlisberger run the no-huddle or come through in any number of situations where the defense knows that the pass is coming. Play-action helps any QB for sure, but to suggest that Ben is "terrible" without it is entirely without merit.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

He did great with out a running game against the jags

He did great with out a running game against the jags
    Bad first half for sure. Forcing throws is never good. But let's just forget that Roethlisberger actually rallied the Steelers to a one-point lead late in the second half without a running game and while everyone in the stadium knew the pass was coming.

But hey, if we dislike the Steelers, I guess one half of one football game is all the evidence we need to support our mind, which is already completely made up. Super!

--Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Bad first half for sure. Forcing throws is never good. But let's just forget that Roethlisberger actually rallied the Steelers to a one-point lead late in the second half without a running game and while everyone in the stadium knew the pass was coming.

But hey, if we dislike the Steelers, I guess one half of one football game is all the evidence we need to support our mind, which is already completely made up. Super!
    The Jags started to play terrible prevent D that 2nd half. They didnt want the Steelers to make big plays so they allowed the the short stuff to work.

When the running game isnt working Ben ends up having to force passes and often makes mistakes. Its the nature of his style more than anything id say. Favre and Romo do the same things and rely on the play action a lot more than other QBs.

The other side of the story is when guys like Brady, Manning and Palmer get rushed and the pocket shrinks they start making mistakes because they arent as elusive.

Yes I exaggerated when I said he was terrible
    Last edited by Bip Roberts; 01-28-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I don't know Bengals fans, sounds like there's some sour grapes going on.

After the season- heck, the history of the franchise- we've had I feel awful piling on anybody, even the Steelers.

Roethlisberger proved to me this year he's the real deal, and though Palmer might be the more talented QB, he certainly had the better season.

Turn Off Ads?