Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Nats to release Felipe Lopez

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Rumor: Nats to release Felipe Lopez

John Perratto of Baseball Prospectus floats this rumor which should make for fun Redszone conversation.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=7079

...There is a strong chance Washington will release infielder Felipe Lopez before contracts become guaranteed in late March as he is asking for $5.2 million in arbitration and the Nationals are offering $4.9 million even though he figures to be the backup to second baseman Ronnie Belliard and shortstop Cristian Guzman

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rumor: Nats to release Felipe Lopez

Releasing over a $300,000 difference?? Makes no sense to me.

There is no way he's worth anywhere near $5 million, but if you're willing to give him $4.9 million to be a backup, what's another $300,000?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post

There is no way he's worth anywhere near $5 million, but if you're willing to give him $4.9 million to be a backup, what's another $300,000?

Maybe they aren't willing to give him $4.9M. But, really, do you actually believe JimBo would get rid of a former Red?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post

They probably don't even want him at 4.9. I think they are trying to create a lack of disparity in his arb numbers in the hopes that they can trade him.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    They probably don't even want him at 4.9. I think they are trying to create a lack of disparity in his arb numbers in the hopes that they can trade him.
    I would agree with that assessment based on the fact that Lopez still has value. He definitely could be flipped for a prospect.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I would agree with that assessment based on the fact that Lopez still has value. He definitely could be flipped for a prospect.
    Still, I think they're going to end up having to cut him. I don't think anyone is going to trade for that contract and give up prospects.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Still, I think they're going to end up having to cut him. I don't think anyone is going to trade for that contract and give up prospects.
    100% agree. Bowden is probably enrolled in a 12 step "you can let ex-Reds go" program. Lopez is his first trial.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Haunted by walks

Trade Majewski for him?

Exactly. Even if the Nats throw in cash, nobody's making that deal.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Losing Felipe was the main reason that I hated "The Trade".

I am here to admit I was wrong. I really thought Felipe was going to be a star.

My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post

My bad.
    Austin Kearns if still awfully good and the Reds could use him if Jr. was out of town soon.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post

My bad.
    You never know what could have or would have happen if the deal wasn't made. Just because he has been a stiff for Washington doesn't mean the same would have happened in Cincy.

FeLo had a bad year. He was moved to 2B, back to SS, back to 2B. He never got it going at the plate, and his SB's were down from the year before. I'd take him at 2B if Phillips were moved over to SS. I'd especially do it if the Reds could trade AGon to a team in Florida. I understand the Marlins have some extra SP's.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    You never know what could have or would have happen if the deal wasn't made. Just because he has been a stiff for Washington doesn't mean the same would have happened in Cincy.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    So it 100% would have?

Turn Off Ads?