Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: CFer Brian Anderson

CFer Brian Anderson

From the ORG: From Rotoworld:

The Chicago Sun-Times believes that Brian Anderson is on his way to a National League team in a trade.

It's for the best. Possible destinations for Anderson include the Pirates, Marlins, Cubs, Padres, Reds and Braves. We wouldn't rule out the Nationals, either, just because Jim Bowden can never have enough outfielders.
    Like Brandon Phillips before him, acquiring Anderson would be a great buy-low move on a former top prospect... This is kinda like David Aardsma...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: CFer Brian Anderson

Hes been jerked around by the White Sox since being called up a few seasons ago. I wonder if hes got options?

He never got to develop in the minors like he should have

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

While a Freel or Hopper and a fringe player for Anderson trade would be a good one in my opinion, I can't take this article to be anything more than speculation on Rotoworld's part. We all know that Wayne isn't one to leak stories to the press and his best deals seem to come from no where.

However, I were to speculate on this possible move, I would think it would make the 2009 Reds really strong and could really add something to the 2008 team. I think have two potentially strong defensive outfielders in 2009 would allow Dunn to have it easier in left and migrate our defense into the average category. IMO, this trade would be another notch in Wayne's belt.

Freel and Hopper have both done worlds more in the majors than Anderson has.

Freel and Hopper have both done worlds more in the majors than Jay Bruce has...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Freel and Hopper have both done worlds more in the majors than Jay Bruce has...
    At least pick prospect that hasnt been dicked in a system around since 05.

Freel and Hopper have both done worlds more in the majors than Brandon Phillips had circa 2005...

Better but we didnt have a 2nd baseman at the time and right now we have a flurry of OF.

I think it could be a solid pick up if we can get him and let him work on crap in the minors then im all for it. If we have to have him on the 25 man roster all year id rather not bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Better but we didnt have a 2nd baseman at the time and right now we have a flurry of OF.

I think it could be a solid pick up if we can get him and let him work on crap in the minors then im all for it. If we have to have him on the 25 man roster all year id rather not bother.
    We are talking about trading Hopper or Freel for him. That opens him up a spot. Also, we did have second basemen in 2006- Tony Womack, Rich Aurilia and Ryan Freel... I remember going to a Reds game in April 2006 and thinking "wow, this phillips is talented but second base is Freel's postition"

Its not about the spot on the 25 man. Its that he has been awful in the majors and needs time to develop in the minors, and dont want him to be sitting on our bench just rotting like he is pretty much doing in Chicago.

Ill concede the we didnt have 2nd baseman ideas but then again phillips was able to be given playing time unlike if we added Anderson.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Freel and Hopper have both done worlds more in the majors than Anderson has.
    Yea, but who will be under 30 come 2009 when Griffey is gone? If Brian Anderson's defense is good enough to call above average in CF and he can hit with a decent stick for a centerfielder (.280/.340/.440) than I think we give Wayne another chance of making some magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Yea, but who will be under 30 come 2009 when Griffey is gone? If Brian Anderson's defense is good enough to call above average in CF and he can hit with a decent stick for a centerfielder (.280/.340/.440) than I think we give Wayne another chance of making some magic.
    Read more of the thread before you reply to the 1st post :o

If he can be demoted to AAA great, if he sits on our bench and doesnt get playing time then its not really worth the trouble.

I say pick him up and give him a shot at the centerfield job this spring. If bruce isnt ready then he could step in. I dont really see freel or hopper as long term solutions in the outfield. freel is a utility guy and I think hopper got hot last year and would have a tough time as pitchers adjusted to him. Plus griffey is fragile and although he held up well last year you dont know if he can do that again. Anderson would be a low risk high reward type that krivsky has been succesful at so far.

Old Red Guard Reject

For what it's worth, here's an old scouting report on Anderson:

Rank: #2 prospect for White Sox (behind Bobby Jenks) and around #48 for top prospects overall

Info: Brian Anderson had a solid Triple-A season and spent the last month and a half in the majors. Brian Anderson is a well-rounded player. He can drive the ball to all fields and could develop into a 25-homer guy at U.S Cellular Field. Hes also a good outfielder with a strong arm and has been solid in center fielder since his college days in Arizona. On the other hand, Anderson has decent speed but isn't a basestealing threat. He also doesn't draw a lot of walks. Brian Anderson is ready to take another step which is why the White Sox were willing to include Aaron Rowand in the Thome Trade to make room for Anderson. Anderson should get the nod for CF for the White Sox this season. He could def. compete for the AL ROY as well.

Most comparable to: Kevin Mench

Stats when he reaches his peak: .297, 27 HRs, 97 RBIs, 4 SBs.

ETA: April 2006
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Old Red Guard Reject

I have to disagree on the power potential from the article. Looks like an outfield glove and not much else.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Turn Off Ads?