Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CFer Brian Anderson

Re: CFer Brian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    In my opinion, Norris Hopper is about two missed drag bunts from being the next Jason Ellison...
    I hope you are kidding.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    But wouldn't "the most epic waste ever" include any player on any roster any year ? Jason Ellison wasted a roster spot on many rosters for many years. Get a grip.
    Of course its exaggerated but just because he isnt actually the biggest waste doesn't mean its more acceptable

I understand where you come from, but you can say the exact same thing about Brandon Phillips' stats from after he didn't stick in Cleveland. In 2005 he hit .256/.326/.409 in 465 AB's in Buffalo. Secondly, the difference between Dickerson and Anderson is that Dickerson was never a highly touted offensive prospect as well as defensive. This is not very risky, as all I advocate giving up is Freel's contract and a C+ prospect...
    That's true, but just cause we got lucky with Phillips doesn't mean it will usually happen that way. I see what you're saying though, and if we acquired Anderson for Freel or something small like that, I wouldn't really be upset. In the event of KGJ going down I wouldn't be opposed to giving Anderson playing time in center before Hopper if we are already out of the race.

We really will not need a CF in 2008. We have Griffey in RF, Dunn in LF, and Freel/Hopper in CF for now, Bruce most likely later in the year. I would look to get a CF in 2009 if we really need one.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    We really will not need a CF in 2008. We have Griffey in RF, Dunn in LF, and Freel/Hopper in CF for now, Bruce most likely later in the year. I would look to get a CF in 2009 if we really need one.
    Why can't we get Anderson now and then wait to use him more primarily in 2009?

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    I hope you are kidding.
    Re: Norris Hopper

What is Mr. Hopper good at? The only real value from him is a batting-average-driven-OBP based on his infield hits and drag bunts. Take those away and he is worth about as much as Ellison...

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    As mentioned earlier, I don't see the potential for Anderson to ever be much of a power threat. Phillips had some good seasons in the minors that would make him more promising. I'd pass on Mr. Anderson.
    Mr. Anderson had a very promising track record in the minors going into 2006. His career minor league line (which includes 200 horrific AAA at-bats last year) is: .293/.364/.474. In rookie and A+ ball he slugged well over .500. In 2005 at age 23 in AAA, Anderson hit .295/.360/.469 in 448 AB's. What makes Anderson any different than Phillips? Hunch? Intuition?
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 01-30-2008 at 04:07 PM.

Re: Norris Hopper

What is Mr. Hopper good at? The only real value from him is a batting-average-driven-OBP based on his infield hits and drag bunts. Take those away and he is worth about as much as Ellison...
    Jason ellison had a line of .188/.278/.271

Thats a long way away from what ever Norris did even if you want to take away hits.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    That's true, but just cause we got lucky with Phillips doesn't mean it will usually happen that way. I see what you're saying though, and if we acquired Anderson for Freel or something small like that, I wouldn't really be upset. In the event of KGJ going down I wouldn't be opposed to giving Anderson playing time in center before Hopper if we are already out of the race.
    Saying we got lucky with Phillips would be selling Krivsky short. Did DanO get unlucky with Eric Milton, or was it just stupidity?

Jason ellison had a line of .188/.278/.271

Thats a long way away from what ever Norris did even if you want to take away hits.
    Wow, 48 at-bats there for Ellison. Pretty big sample size ... In 46 AB's with Seattle last year he hit .283/.298/.283. I can certainly see Hopper doing that, but I wouldn't base anything off of that information because it is TOO SMALL OF A SAMPLE SIZE...

Back to my question: What is Hopper good at?

Wow, 48 at-bats there for Ellison. Pretty big sample size ... In 46 AB's with Seattle last year he hit .283/.298/.283. I can certainly see Hopper doing that, but I wouldn't base anything off of that information because it is TOO SMALL OF A SAMPLE SIZE...
    Ok how about his bigger sample size of almost 600 abs .251/.305/.351

Once again thats a lot of base hits you are going to take away from Hopper to make up for the .125ish change in OPS.

Not to mention we could demote Norris instead of having to DFA him

Norris Hopper had a career BA of .289 in the minors. Assuming his average will be a bit lower in the bigs than it was in the minors, I don't have to take very many hits away from his statsheet to get it down to a .250 average...

Norris Hopper had a career BA of .289 in the minors. Assuming his average will be a bit lower in the bigs than it was in the minors, I don't have to take very many hits away from his statsheet to get it down to a .250 average...
    His bunts could stop working but he also probably never used the bunt single in the minors. Im not saying you are wrong but we were comparing Jason ellisons awfulness while being a red and not his career numbers.

Fact is Ellison was as bad as anyone could have been and for Hopper to be as bad as him he would have to almost lose a leg.

His bunts could stop working but he also probably never used the bunt single in the minors. Im not saying you are wrong but we were comparing Jason ellisons awfulness while being a red and not his career numbers.

Fact is Ellison was as bad as anyone could have been and for Hopper to be as bad as him he would have to almost lose a leg.
    Turning this into a Hopper vs. Ellison arguement wasn't my point, but this is the way I see it:

Anderson>Hopper>Ellison

Turn Off Ads?