Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Castellini: "If we don't win this year... I'll (fire) myself"

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Castellini: "If we don't win this year... I'll (fire) myself"

http://www.journal-news.com/hp/conte...berdinner.html

Castellini says he'll fire himself if Reds don't have winning season

Baseball-themed chamber dinner honors Nuxhall

HAMILTON — Cincinnati Reds President and CEO Bob Castellini stood in what he called "the heart of Reds' country" and told a crowd of more than 400 the professional baseball team will be competitive in 2008.

"If we don't win this year, we might all get fired and I'll start by firing myself," he said.

Castellini was the keynote speaker Friday night at the 98th annual Greater Hamilton Chamber of Commerce dinner held at Vora Technology Park.

Baseball was the theme of the event, which also honored Tim Nichting — who led the West Side All Stars to the Little League World Series — as citizen of the year. The lifetime achievement award was given posthumously to Joe Nuxhall.
    Chamber President Kenny Craig, who donned a baseball tie, said event attendance of 443 set a record.

At the dinner, which funds most chamber activities, Castellini discussed off-season progress he believes the Reds have made by signing additional pitching.

In honor of Nuxhall, Castellini said the organization was trying to name a portion of Main Street Nuxhall Way in Cincinnati close to the Great American Ball Park, which also has a bronze statue of his likeness.

"I'm not promising anything yet, but I'm working on it hard," he said.

Castellini also said he hoped to see the crowd again on June 10 at the ballpark for Hamilton Day, which also marks the 64th anniversary of Nuxhall's history-making pitching debut at age 15 as the youngest player in the Major Leagues.
    Last edited by macro; 01-26-2008 at 10:16 PM.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Castellini: "If we don't win this year... I'll (fire) myself"

Well, I'm always in the market for a good houseboy.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Cincinnati Reds President and CEO Bob Castellini stood in what he called "the heart of Reds' country" and told a crowd of more than 400 the professional baseball team will be competitive in 2008.

"If we don't win this year, we might all get fired and I'll start by firing myself," he said.
    Why does it always seem the goal of Cincinnati franchises is to just be competitive. Couldn't they shoot for a championship team more than once every 15 years?
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Wow, that's quite an ultimatum for BC to give to himself.

I'd suggest way more pitching if his goal is to win this year. And if that is his stated goal- to win this year, then they should have traded Jay Bruce for Bedard, straight up. Bedard gives you a much, much better chance of that THIS YEAR than does Jay Bruce.

The fact that they did not trade Bruce for Bedard tells us that just maybe BC is taking a longer view of things than his above statement might suggest (which is a very good thing, IMHO).

I'd hate to have BC as my houseboy; he'd be grumbling at me all the time to do things today, rather than procrastinate until another day...

It depends what winning means. If you mean like a improvement to 84-78 while the youth grows, that may be a success.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Why does it always seem the goal of Cincinnati franchises is to just be competitive. Couldn't they shoot for a championship team more than once every 15 years?
    Yes, but you have to be realistic. It would be tough to turn this franchise from 07 to a WS in 08.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Fire Krivsky before you fire yourself there, Bob...if you don't have a winning season...

Looking at the team....without things falling into place and the young guys blooming...are they really any better than last season?

Maybe those things will happen.....maybe they won't

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    It depends what winning means. If you mean like a improvement to 84-78 while the youth grows, that may be a success.
    That would be a winning season....

Haunted by walks

Competitive: 81-81

Winning: 82-80

Contending: Within five games of first.

Where you want to be: Postseason.

Priceless: Winning the World Series.

Not even the Yankees can promise the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    This franchise has fallen so far that right now I would happily take once every 15 years.

I want a Bedard or Santana, just to prove that the Reds can ever again just win the division.....or a playoff game....just one.

I am not sure if many of you remember Dale Murphy. he was, for several years, just about as good as there was in the game. It was such a waste.....the rest of the Braves were bad.....really bad.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Unless something is done to enhance the chances of winning then Bob.. hate to say it but you will be terminating yourself

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

So the odds of Bob firing himself are pretty damn good then based on the current roster.

Maybe the dealing isn't done?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

How's he going to fire everyone else if he fires himself first?

It's just a figure of speech.

He's not going anywhere.

I do believe he really wants to win. After the Lindner era, that's exactly what I want to hear.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?