Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's your excitement level for this year?

What's your excitement level for this year?

Not a poll. I just want a general feeling of your level of anticipation vs the years since 2000.

Personally, this is the most excited I've been since Jr. was acquired. I knew then he wasn't the missing piece, but it was Jr.!

Now for me it's seeing a full season of Votto and hopefully Bruce. It's seeing Belisle take a Harang like step forward. It's EE and Phillips. And man, what are the kids gonna do in the #4-5 spots in the rotation.

Needless to say, talking about Bailey, Volquez, Cueto, Maloney, Bruce, and Votto is so much better than Almanzar, Haynes, Milton (ugh) Williams, Womack and Jiminez.

It's nice to see the system actually produce. I want to see these kids play.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What's your excitement level for this year?

Hope springs eternal every year.

I am excited because I am HOPEFUL that for the first time in a long time we might see a decent pitching staff.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

It's at like a 4 right now.

After the Dusty press conference and Cordero signing, it was much higher.

I'm not sure the adjective I'd ascribe to my fealings towards the team right now. It's more guarded than "guardely optimistic" but more optimistic than "luke warm".

Have changes been made that can significantly reduce RA or increased RS, not really. Cordero will help lower RA by taking the ball out of the hands of the bullpen dreck. However, as it stands now Belisle may/may not take another development step, and 4 and 5 are big question marks. Weathers is likely due some regression from a great year. Gonzo ought to bounce back and play a more solid SS than his 2007 campaign.

On the RS side, Ross should bounce back and produce better at the plate. He certinally helps with the RA. EE should start the year off more solidly than 2007 (because that mean nasty Jerry Narron is gone). Votto should out produce Connine/Hatte combo. Will Jr produce at the same level, however? Will Phillips regress? Will the Hopper deck of cards collapse?

The biggest reason for optimisim, however, is the cadre of youngsters being talked about. Volquez, Bruce, Ceuto, Bailey, McBeth, Burton, et al. They could all implode and be big duds...however, I like their chances at at least contributing *something* over the likes of the Womacks, Shearns and Gosslings of the world. But will the produce in the bigs? Will they even make it to the big team? If they do, will they see any playing time? Which leads me to....

In Dusty We Trusty. He's the wild-card here. He's got a long track record from which to make assumptions about his decision making process, however, we'll have no idea how he'll really implement things until Spring Training (and only just a snap-shot then).

But there's still several months before ST even starts. We have no idea what the imapact of Jocketty being around will be, if any. There's likely going to be more jockying, and hopefully transactions before ST starts.

But for now, there's more to be excited about than years past. Lots of things still have to fall into place to win the division, but I'm starting to like the chances of things falling our way more than in years past.

I always look forward to the season, even if they don't look to have a good year ... I just enjoy the game of baseball.

I'm excited and hopeful, but then again, I'm always excited and hopeful for the Reds chances.

I've got this sinking feeling, however, that Dusty Baker is going to drive me bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I always look forward to the season, even if they don't look to have a good year ... I just enjoy the game of baseball.
    Same here. My excitement level is pretty much the same every year.

No baseball = Bad

Baseball = Great

The rest is dressing.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I've got this sinking feeling, however, that Dusty Baker is going to drive me bonkers.
    Dusty will certainly be a very interesting topic on the boards this summer. He's probably going to drive lots of people crazy.

I'm excited, in part, because I'm enthusiastic about the amount of quality impact youngsters who should contribute significantly in 2008, and by the incremental improvements that we've seen in bench depth, bullpen strength, and youthful hope for the rotation (all of which were weaknesses in 2007 and before).

I would have loved to add a guy like Bedard to the mix, but not at the expense of losing numerous members of our Fab 4-5. He would have been the 2008 version of Neagle that put this team into major NLCS contention. In retrospect, if we were certain that Bruce and several second tier prospects could have landed him, without us having to touch Hamilton, Votto, Cueto or Bailey I might have actually prefered that.

Bruce is probably going to be the best all-around OF we've seen around these parts in a decade+. However, with Hamilton, Dunn, EdE, Votto, Griffey, BP and a decent supporting cast of regulars and bench contributors, our offense was probably going to excel with, or without Bruce. Instead, we're now going to be counting upon several youngsters to post breakthrough seasons, just to make the rotation passable. Regardless, I'm very excited about our youngsters, and can't wait to watch Volquez.

I agree with flyer85...I just enjoy the game.

As for my excitement about the team this year...I am more excited this year than I have been the last 4 or 5 years. We have a legit closer and better BP than in years past which should help us hold onto some of those games we lost in the final three at bats.

Our offense can produce runs and our D is solid up the middle (thinking Bruce is in CF)

I'd love for the team to add another PROVEN SP but I am willing to go with what we got and see how it shakes out.

I also love that the team is not carrying LARGE DEAD CONTRACTS...sure we still have Castro and Stanton...Castro should go but I am willing to see what happens with Stanton the first month of the season.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

While it likely won't translate into enough wins to make the playoffs the Reds are infinitely more interesting than they were in 2005.

Opening day can't come soon enough for me.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Blah - on a scale of 1-10 about a 3.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Blah - on a scale of 1-10 about a 3.

Really? I mean I know there is no Randa to loathe, but come on. You can loathe Hatte every time he takes an AB away from Votto. It'll feel the same.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?