Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's your excitement level for this year?

Re: What's your excitement level for this year?

I'm excited. I've got hope.

Long time since we could say that.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I have hope. I'm still at a 7. Once Pitchers and Catchers report I will be at an 8 or 9. 10 is reserved for World Series.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

This is the first time in a while where I feel like we actually have enough talent to compete if guys perform up to their ability. That doesn't mean I think they will do that, but for once I don't think hope for success requires hoping for the failure of everybody else around us.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm as excited for a year as I have been in about 10 seasons or so. Easily. Well, at least since the spring of 2000 and the acquisition of Jr. And it is NOT because I think they necessarily can win, or should win, the division.

Rather, I am excited because:

(1) Phillips and Dunn are a fun core, and I like those guys;

(2) there is going to be depth at AAA in the rotation, and I can't remember the last time that was the case;

(3) as much as I was not a huge fan of the Baker hire, I can certainly give him a chance, and it is always fun to hear from the new guy. And, really, I think teams respond well to him initially, and his brand of intensity will be welcome in my view.

(4) Votto and Bruce this spring would by themselves be a fascinating story, toss in Volquez, Bailey, Cueto, Maloney and the Affeldt experiment, and it will be something non-stop interesting every day.

(5) The fact that this team looks like it has a plan now. And I like the addition of Jocketty to the front office, I am with those who think the more baseball minds the better.

(6) I like Castellini's urgency, which likely resulted in the Cordero signing. Yes, getting another stud starter would have been nice, but when ownership applies pressure through words and deeds and expectations, well, those are always franchises that I want to root for. Too long in Cincy, that has not been the case, for either the Reds or Bengals. Well, for the Reds now, it is different.

Add it all up, and this is a fascinating time to be a Reds fan, and there are a ton of reasons to be excited this is all getting going again.
    Last edited by membengal; 01-29-2008 at 01:53 PM.

I'm at a 5. I don't want to peak too soon.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Like you said, I'm more excited than I have been since the front office followed the 1999 feel good, almost playoff team with adding Griffey. I forsee a few things some good, some not so good:

We'll see if Dusty can learn from his mistakes or if he's the same old pitcher killer...regardless, game threads should be lively in '08.

No more Milton or Wilson in the rotation! Young guys with energy and heat! ...and young guy inconsistency and mistakes...

Jay Effin Bruce! I am soooo looking forward to seeing this kid play. To see the young kid playing between the old Kid and the Donkey. Adeventure in the outfield, but murder at the plate. I have a feeling we'll all remember the first time we see him play.

The 8th in '08 should be nothing like the 8th in '07. I'm looking forward to keeping a lead once or twice without leaving the starter in for 9 innings. I bet Arroyo is too!

But like everone else, none of it will really matter. As soon as I hear those two magic words, I'll be instantly transported to heaven. PLAY BALL!!!

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

4, pretty much still the same team that lost 90 last year
    Go Gators!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I dont care what the year, or the circumstances of the offseason, I always start drinking a little of the koolaid at this time of year. This year especially. Encarnacion & Belisle are primed for big steps forward. Jr is in the last year of his deal, always a good motivator. Bruce & Phillips will both probably take steps back but the rookie core is reason enough to be excited for a while. There will be surprises but things are looking up.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    4, pretty much still the same team that lost 90 last year
    Nah, we'll get a full season of Norris Hopper this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Nah, we'll get a full season of Norris Hopper this year.
    Indeed.

3 then.
    Go Gators!

this one goes up to 11
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Man Pills

More excited than I was last year, but I still have no illusions.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Indeed.

3 then.

And I thought Norris would boost your excitement level up, not down.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post

And I thought Norris would boost your excitement level up, not down.
    Marty's at a 14.

Hopper's better than Dunn, ya know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Yellow: Elevated

Significant risk of delusional thoughts about winning.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Turn Off Ads?