Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Santana to Mets

Santana to Mets

MLBtraderumors says an agreement has been reached by the Twins & Mets to send Santana to the Mets for Gomez, Humber, Guerra and Mulvey.

Cue the obligatory "Wayne shoulda had him" stuff....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Santana to Mets

Is that without the one Mets prospect the Twins were holding out for? I think so. And, if so, man, did Minny blink.

USATODAY is reporting it too...

Twins agree to trade Santana to Mets for Prospects

From the USA Today article.

The deal is pending the Mets and Santana reaching agreement on a six- or seven-year contract extension and that Santana passes a physical; they have been granted a 48 to-72-hour window to do so. Santana has a no-trade clause that he will waive if agreement is reached on a contract extension.

Guerra was probably the cincher.

If this happens, then the Mets are loaded for bear.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

To answer my own question: yeah, the Twins blinked.

They were trying get the Mets to include Fernando Martinez, according to a bunch of reports. Apparently, that did not come to pass.

Nm
    Last edited by Screwball; 01-29-2008 at 04:35 PM. Reason: I'm slow

Screwball, yes, him. From the January 15th St. Paul Tribune:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/13784861.html

Meanwhile, the Mets need Santana desperately. But if the Red Sox and Yankees don't step forward with better offers, the Mets might not either.

When the Mets offered Carlos Gomez, Phil Humber, Kevin Mulvey and Deolis Guerra, the Twins asked them to throw in top prospect Fernando Martinez. The Mets are holding their ground, offering Gomez but not Martinez.
    There's a whole of lot of prescient information in that article from two weeks ago, as it turns out.
    Last edited by membengal; 01-29-2008 at 04:46 PM.

But Wayne could have offered more

A LOT of teams could have, bucksfan. The issue in that deal, as always, is money. The teams in that bidding had resources a lot of teams don't.

The Twins apparently outsmarted themselves. They had the Yankees and Red Sox in a bidding war, but failed to pull the trigger.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

The Reds might have been able to offer more, but it would have been for one season. I kind of doubt we would have been able to afford him after that.
    The Mets could be tough again - especially if, by some miracle, Pedro becomes Pedro again.

Personally, I'd rather have seen Santana land in the Bronx or in Fenway. If he's heading to the Mets, then that means the Reds are going to have to deal with him and I don't like that. If the Reds would just so happen to win NL Central this year, then it'd certainly be possible that they could just get mowed down by Santana in the NLDS; that ending just wouldn't be too pretty.

At least if he would stay in the AL, then the Reds 1) likely wouldn't have to face him in the regular season (except a rare interleague matchup), and 2) they wouldn't have to worry about him in the playoffs until the World Series.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

I don't want the Reds to face him but I can't wait to see him in Wrigley this summer. Oh, and the Mets just won the NL East.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Seeing the names of the players going to Minnesota, I cant help but think of the classic episode of seinfeld when Jerry has forgotten his girlfriend's name and is yelling out different ones at the end. "Mulva, Delores"

Turn Off Ads?