Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Santana to Mets

Re: Santana to Mets

Someone please explain to me how getting the best pitcher in MLB is somehow a BAD thing when you are also operating with a near-unlimited payroll and are moving into a brand new stadium in a couple years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Someone please explain to me how getting the best pitcher in MLB is somehow a BAD thing when you are also operating with a near-unlimited payroll and are moving into a brand new stadium in a couple years.

Just thank your lucky stars that Reds Country is not infested with such a plague.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Obviously it's not, it's GOOD thing (with apologies to Martha Stewart).

I almost wish I could force myself to root for one of the New York teams, or even the Red Sox again; it would make my life easier, more enjoyable, being the fan of a winning baseball team.

As a kid, after the Reds beat the Sox in '75, I became a fan of their team. I was really enamored of team that could have a 3rd baseman (Hobson) who batted (mostly) 8th in the order with 30 HR's and 100 RBI. Not to mention Don Zimmer, from the west side of Cincy, was their manager- what's not to like! I rooted for the Sox until they became insufferable (at least to me) which happened right after the first WS win.

BTW- WMR- you need to change your handle to "Jay Bruce's homie"

They also have a new TV network. The Mets got a pretty decent deal considering. It will be interesting to find out how much money he'll get.

There is no way I would give him 7 years, but the Mets can afford it. The Twins should have taken Phillip Hughes and ran.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I don't know if this puts the Mets over the top. While people are counting on Pedro he 37 this year (if you believe his birth certificate) and has had injury problems over the course of the past few years. I don't see him as anything but a 6 inning max pitcher. I wonder if Santana is going from a better to worse team?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't know if this puts the Mets over the top. While people are counting on Pedro he 37 this year (if you believe his birth certificate) and has had injury problems over the course of the past few years. I don't see him as anything but a 6 inning max pitcher. I wonder if Santana is going from a better to worse team?

He's going to an overall better team but he's going to be carrying the weight of the starting rotation out to the mound with him every time out. It will be interesting to see how he handles that type of pressure and the pressure of New York.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Santana makes the Mets a much better team than the Santana-less Twins.

The Twins might win fewer than 70 games this season.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

The Twins might win fewer than 70 games this season.
    I'll guess they have a winning record.

By Always Red:
    I rooted for the Sox until they became insufferable (at least to me) which happened right after the first WS win.
    Right there with ya' on that one. It's incredible how fast that franchise became one that I love to hate.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Wouldn't it be interesting if Smith called up the Sox and Yankees today and tried to take their offers, only to see them rescinded; that the Sox and Yanks were really just bidding up the other in a game of chicken with the Twins as the patsy.
    It was reported in my local paper today (NJ Record) that the Twins did call back the Yankees and tried to pull the deal for Melky Cabrera, Ian Kennedy and a prospect...NY said no. They also called the Red Sox and both Lester and Ellsbury were not available.

The Twins botched this big time.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I'll guess they have a winning record.
    A .500ish team will need to replace 425 innings of well-above average starters' innings.

Good luck.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

good article on THT
    http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...johan-santana/

Wow. I'm not a minor league/prospect guy, but I'm surprised the Twins didn't go for a package that included someone with that was more of a "sure thing."
    This is what I view as the biggest shortcoming. The quantity over quality thing almost never works.

Makes me wonder what the Yanks/Sox ever really put on the table, personally I though a lot of their involvement was to keep the other from acquiring him.. They got neither a rotation replacement for Santana or a CF. Ouch.
    Last edited by flyer85; 01-30-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    It was reported in my local paper today (NJ Record) that the Twins did call back the Yankees and tried to pull the deal for Melky Cabrera, Ian Kennedy and a prospect...NY said no. They also called the Red Sox and both Lester and Ellsbury were not available.

The Twins botched this big time.
    Yup. That's the point I was trying to make back on page 1. Massive screw-up in Minny, they played hardball at the winter meetings and have now gotten burned.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Yup. That's the point I was trying to make back on page 1. Massive screw-up in Minny, they played hardball at the winter meetings and have now gotten burned.
    That team is slipping into the shambles again. I wouldn't be surprised to see them do a full scale rebuild.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 01-30-2008 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Bavasi really isn't one to watch the market. Besides the two scenarios aren't really that comparable.
    a take from Seattle.

http://ussmariner.com/2008/01/29/bam-santana-trade/

Turn Off Ads?