Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Santana to Mets

Santana to Mets

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...-santana_N.htm
    he New York Mets have agreed to a trade for two-time Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana, giving up four prospects to acquire the left-handed ace of the Minnesota Twins, according to two high-ranking Twins officials with knowledge of the talks and a person close to Santana.

The deal is pending the Mets and Santana reaching agreement on a six- or seven-year contract extension and that Santana passes a physical; they have been granted a 48 to-72-hour window to do so. Santana has a no-trade clause that he will waive if agreement is reached on a contract extension.

The Mets paid a high price in prospects to land Santana, agreeing to send the Twins outfielder Carlos Gomez and pitchers Phil Humber, Deolis Guerra and Kevin Mulvey.

The deal would give the Mets the much-needed ace at the front of their rotation. Santana won the American League Cy Young Award in 2004 and 2006 and is 93-44 lifetime. He went 15-13 with a 3.33 ERA for the Twins last season. Santana has struck out at least 235 batters each of the past four seasons.

While the deal drains much of the talent out of the Mets' farm system, they did manage to hold on to top prospect Fernando Martinez, an outfielder. Instead, they headed the package with Gomez, who turned 22 in December and spent 58 games with the Mets last year.
    FIND MORE STORIES IN: MLB | Major League Baseball | Mets | Twins | Cy Young Award | Santana

Gomez is what scouts like to call a five-tool player, a combination of offensive ability that includes power and speed as well as an above-average defensive game and a strong arm. He has worked to cut down a strikeout rate that was high during the early part of a minor league career that began in 2004 after the Mets signed him out of the Dominican Republic. He made his major league debut last May and hit .232.

Humber, 25, is the Mets' 2004 first-round pick who has made five major league appearances, including one start, over the past two seasons. He won 11 games at Class AAA last season, his first full year after having Tommy John surgery in 2005.

Santana would give the Mets the best rotation in the NL East after they missed out on the division title by one game thanks to a historic September collapse. He'd likely be joined by Pedro Martinez, John Maine, Oliver Perez and Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez.

The Twins, meanwhile, would see yet another young star they produced leave the organization. Their Gold Glove outfielder, Torii Hunter, left for the Los Angeles Angels this offseason. Gomez would be a candidate to replace him in center field.
    How do these prospects compare to our guys?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Santana to Mets

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...-santana_N.htm

How do these prospects compare to our guys?
    I don't think they're all that good. I like Humber, but he's comporable to Cueto or Bailey. It's not the prospects that was the big factor though, it was the contract.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

he wanted to play in New York

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I don't think they're all that good. I like Humber, but he's comporable to Cueto or Bailey. It's not the prospects that was the big factor though, it was the contract.
    Exactly, I think the reds could match about any offer talent wise but as you stated, the contract is what leaves many out of it.

I was hoping he would stay in the A.L. but it would be fun to get to watch him pitch.

So the Mets would have Santana and Pedro Martinez in their rotation. I know Pedro's not what he used to be but if he gets healthy that sure would be fun for the Mets fans to watch.

Senor Votto

I'm not liking Santana pitching in the National League the least bit. The Reds will see the Mets 7 times in '08 so there's at least 2 times Santana will pitch against the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I'm not liking Santana pitching in the National League the least bit. The Reds will see the Mets 7 times in '08 so there's at least 2 times Santana will pitch against the Reds.
    Or once or twice, depending on how the rotations play out. Could be we hit the 3-4-5 spot the first time with them and the 2-3-4-5 spot the next time.

That said, I take your point; the Reds against any lefty is bad news, the Reds against Santana is really, really, really bad news.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    Or once or twice, depending on how the rotations play out. Could be we hit the 3-4-5 spot the first time with them and the 2-3-4-5 spot the next time.

That said, I take your point; the Reds against any lefty is bad news, the Reds against Santana is really, really, really bad news.
    I was just thinking of the worst case scenario. Two games can make a big difference and it'll definetly make a big difference in the NL Central.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

They've got a couple of polls up on ESPN about the impact of Santana moving to the NL. This question got my attention.

"9) If Santana is traded, who would be the best pitcher in the National League?

65.5% Johan Santana

14.1% Jake Peavy

5.7% Brandon Webb

3.2% Cole Hamels

2.3% Roy Oswalt

2.1% Carlos Zambrano

1.5% John Smoltz

1.2% Pedro Martinez

1.0% Brad Penny

1.0% Dan Haren

0.7% Ben Sheets

0.6% Matt Cain

0.5% Tim Hudson

0.4% Chris Young

0.3% Aaron Harang"

As usual....Harangatang is the Rodney Dangerfield of starting pitchers. The man can't get NO respect. Pitiful. ....well, at least they actually INCLUDED him in the poll. *sigh*

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Really hard to believe the Yanks and Sox could not or would not do better than this offer. However, I do happen to like Kevin Mulvey more than most.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

The fact that Pedro got that many votes is a testament to the voters bias. Pedro is far from the best these days. It's kind of like fans voting on the all-stars, they usually don't pick the most deserving ones.

Sure, Harang is better than some of those pitchers, but the question asked "who is the best?" and Harang is simply not the correct anwser to that question. Theoretically he shouldn't receive any of the vote...

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Really hard to believe the Yanks and Sox could not or would not do better than this offer. However, I do happen to like Kevin Mulvey more than most.
    There was a really excellent column on Yahoo Sports last week about why the Yanks and BoSox were getting out of the way on this one:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Basically, Santana's dollar value to them is less than it is to another team that isn't already playoff-bound, running at near 100% stadium capacity, and with maxed out cable distribution deals. And the quality (and thus, future value) of the prospects the Yanks or Sox would have given up were also much greater than what the Mets gave up.

I believe the conclusion reached was that for Santana to make sense for the Yankees (assuming the Yankees gave up Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrerra, and filler), Santana would have to sign for $7m/yr. below his estimated market value OR Huges would have to tank and max out as a 5-starter/swingman. I know it's fashionable to rip on the Yanks for their big-spending ways, but I do believe there's a difference between "being successful enough to have money to burn" and "fiscal irresponsibility." Cashman and Co. are trying to get away from the latter these days.

Anyway: the article is an interesting read. A rarity on Yahoo....

Rick

I would have let Dunn walk, pay Santana, put Bruce in left and have Hopper and Freel split in CF. WE have too many power hitters and not enough people that get on base. Something needs shook-up.

Quote Originally Posted by kentjett View Post
    I would have let Dunn walk, pay Santana, put Bruce in left and have Hopper and Freel split in CF. WE have too many power hitters and not enough people that get on base. Something needs shook-up.
    Except letting Dunn walk would pay for ONE of Santana's SEVEN year contract...

Turn Off Ads?