Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Re-sign Votto?

Senor Votto

Reds Re-sign Votto?

I saw this on Yahoo Sports...

Reds re-sign 1B Votto

January 29, 2008
    CINCINNATI (Ticker) - The Cincinnati Reds on Tuesday signed top first base prospect Joey Votto to a new one-year contract for 2008.

Votto, a Toronto native, hit .321 with four home runs and 17 RBI in 24 games for the Reds last season. In 133 games for Class AAA Louisville, Votto hit .294 with 22 home runs and 92 RBI en route to Rookie of the Year honors in the International League.

The 24-year-old is now being tabbed to beat Scott Hatteberg in the battle for first base during Spring Training.

The Reds also agreed one-year contracts with righthanders Richie Gardner, Daryl Thompson and Sergio Valenzuela; lefthanders Tyler Pelland and Alexander Smit; catchers catchers Ryan Hanigan and Craig Tatum; infielder Paul Janisch and outfielder outfielder Chris Dickerson.
    Is this some typo or something? Why would they sign Votto for a one year deal when he's not even arb. eligiable yet?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Re: Reds Re-sign Votto?

Everyone has a contract. The Reds just got Joey's done early.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

They just assured Votto that he will be a Red next year officially and he won't be let go by the organization.

Get rid of Scotty, Votto and Keppinger are capable of holding down 1st. I don'y want to take away from Vott's AB's.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by kentjett View Post
    Get rid of Scotty, Votto and Keppinger are capable of holding down 1st. I don'y want to take away from Vott's AB's.
    Scott Hatteberg is a valuable commodity, you don't just "get rid" of him.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

I like him but we don't have room for him, trade him or let him go.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Apparently a good bench isnt of any importance to you?

Quote Originally Posted by kentjett View Post
    I like him but we don't have room for him, trade him or let him go.
    He's a $1.85M left handed pinch-hitter.

Not too shabby when you consider what we're paying Ryan Freel to be....

:thumbdown

PEACE

-BLEEDS

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules View Post
    Apparently a good bench isnt of any importance to you?
    Excellent point. Only let's hope he is the one on bench "barring" injury.
    8th inning score tied at 3 with runners on first and second, Ph is Scott Hatteberg.

There's zero reason to move Hatt. He's affordable, a good leader and someone you definitely want if this team makes it to post season play.
    Brian

Editor StorageReview.com - SSD & HDD Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    There's zero reason to move Hatt. He's affordable, a good leader and someone you definitely want if this team makes it to post season play.
    Agreed. That said, I do have an open mind. If someone out there has an idea to get rid of Hatte, make this year's team better, and not increase payroll please put it out there.

Ya can't teach speed...

I can see Votto, his minor contract expires at the end of this year, but what about Tatum and Janich. They are still owned by the Reds for two more years. The Reds are under no obligation to sign them to anything more than what is required by the standard minor league contracts based on level of play and time of service. What kind of contract are we talking about?

Plus, there are always times when you need an extra bat. Votto might be sick for a few days, tired, hurt or whatever. Plus you need a DH for the AL park interleague games, and Hatteberg gives you a good one. No reason to get rid of him unless someone surprises you with a really good offer.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Agreed. That said, I do have an open mind. If someone out there has an idea to get rid of Hatte, make this year's team better, and not increase payroll please put it out there.
    trade Hatteberg for B prospect, sign Chris Shelton, give Shelton AB's versus LH pitchers at 1B. Shelton will be a better hitter at a cheaper price...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    trade Hatteberg for B prospect, sign Chris Shelton, give Shelton AB's versus LH pitchers at 1B. Shelton will be a better hitter at a cheaper price...
    I would disagree. I think if you get rid of Hatteberg and add Shelton you have just made the Reds weaker as a team.

Why can't Votto play everyday? Also, I would favor Hatteberg coming off the bench late vs a righty as opposed to Shelton coming into face a lefty. I know thats hard to compare but still...Shelton is K prone.

Dollar figures aside...am I in the minority who would rather have Hatte than Shelton???

Turn Off Ads?