Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An explanation about the board speed, downtime, etc. from our host

Originally posted by Aceking
    Also, and this may be a small cut in bandwidth, but you might want to consider a new logo.
    Good call, Ace.

Originally posted by westofyou
    Boss, I'll send you a logo to try.
    Looking forward to it, WoY.

Thanks, guys!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    What bogs down a database driven web site are 2 things:

1. # of connections to the database-

This makes sense, the more people on the board, the more times it is connecting, the more time it takes up. If you are logged in or logged out it really doesn't matter.

2. amount of data being called from the database

So, to answer your question SandyD, if you were to reduce the amount of days worth of posts you look at, it COULD theoretically reduce the bandwidth. That is less data that needs to be pulled every time you look at the front page. If enough people that visit the site repeatedly throughout the day did this, it could make a difference.

Oh and a logo suggestion...

You might want to lose the reds logo. Wouldn't want MLB coming after you!

If the Reds never made a trade again, we might be in good shape.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

1. # of connections to the database-

This makes sense, the more people on the board, the more times it is connecting, the more time it takes up. If you are logged in or logged out it really doesn't matter.

Why not make it to where if you don't post in so many weeks/months/whatever then you are deleted from the site

That way it doesn't take up space for people who sign up and then don't come back

Whether they're a member or not really doesn't matter. Guests connect to the database the same way as members.

It's not # of members so much as # of computers looking at the site at the same time.

Ohhh gotcha

then make it a members only board and do what I said earlier.. can't think of many flaws about that off the top of my head

That would cause some inconveniences to members (for example, if you go to another computer and can't remember your password, you can't access the site). Plus it may discourage new memberships as they can't see what the board is all about......

that said, it would definitely fix the problem (in the short term). Right now there are 17 members looking at the board and 15 guests

Boss, does your message board allow for multiple logos? If so, on subtopic, topic ,reply pages you could use a smaller logo. Soot for 15k. Optimally the whole page shouldn't be more than 55k (JMO) I try to keep mine at 30k, but i have to deal with students and crappy dialup connections.

Ace is dead on about the connections to the db. However the connections are in bursts. I think. I connect, get the data, connection closed. In this case, I think the connection to the db could be tied up by users with slow connections. I might be wrong about this though.

Ace, we should talk some time. I've been a webmaster for a while, but don't really know any others that do the job.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

TRF:

Send me a PM or an e-mail to aceking@one.net

I understand that the cost for a private server is high (around $1,000/yr). But have you thought of putting it out there to the members and see what they think about it? This forum has grown in leaps and bounds, and it's obvious that we've outgrown this server.

It would only take a modest investment from each of us to really cover that cost. The vast majority of people on this forum have been very generous when it's needed.

IMHO, if it cost me $25/yr (and I'm not saying everyone has to put in that much....some may only afford less, while others more), then it's well worth what I get from this forum, and the services you guys provide.

Put some "feelers" out

Thanks Ace. GAC's suggestion has merit, and i'll take it a step further. Buy a firewall, and build your own server. total cost might be 3-4 grand. The money could easily be raised from either members or a financial backer. Then all you need to pay for is an internet connection.

of course i'm a control freak, anl love having total access to my servers.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

EzBoard??

EzBoard has made lots of updates to their msg boards. They have boards out there with nearly 15,000 members and they run just fine.

If cost is an issue, if most people can pay the $12 to be an EzSupporter for a year then their page views will not count towards the daily views for the board, thus making the cost go down.

They seem to have done some nice changes over there and it is very user friendly.

And the first 6 months would only be $30 if it is paid BEFORE the board is opened to *the public*

Just a thought.

Good Luck...I'm sure if you decided to stay here and go with an upgrade that the members would make sure the cost is covered.

Originally posted by GAC
    I understand that the cost for a private server is high (around $1,000/yr). But have you thought of putting it out there to the members and see what they think about it? This forum has grown in leaps and bounds, and it's obvious that we've outgrown this server.

It would only take a modest investment from each of us to really cover that cost. The vast majority of people on this forum have been very generous when it's needed.

IMHO, if it cost me $25/yr (and I'm not saying everyone has to put in that much....some may only afford less, while others more), then it's well worth what I get from this forum, and the services you guys provide.

Put some "feelers" out
    I think your timing would be wrong, since the hat was passed not too long ago. I wouldn't try fund-raising until baseball season. You have more users. You'd get a better response.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

I really don't want to ask for funding from you all at this time. We should be fine for a few more months (especially in the offseason with reduced traffic). Thanks for the thought, though, GAC!

Turn Off Ads?