Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: From ORG: Lohse possibly looking for 1 year deal

From ORG: Lohse possibly looking for 1 year deal

Apparently nobody wants to give Kyle Lohse a long-term big money deal, so he's considering going with a one year contract to establish his value. A post on the ORG said the Reds are rumored to be interested.

So the question is - are you interested in a one year deal for Lohse? The estimate on the dollars is $8M (just an estimate). Personally, I would absolutely do this deal. Let Bailey and Cueto establish themselves in AAA for a few months and be injury insurance, let Affeldt strengthen the bullpen. If we stink, we can always trade Lohse for a prospect at the deadline like we did last year and call up one of Bailey/Cueto. Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: From ORG: Lohse possibly looking for 1 year deal

Yes I'm for Lohse but I'm for Afeldt in rotaion also . They need to give a shot.

Strong no from me

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    Yes I'm for Lohse but I'm for Afeldt in rotaion also . They need to give a shot.
    So none of the kids? Do you start Volquez, Bailey, and Cueto all in AAA, or one of them in the MLB bullpen?

IMO, signing Loshe to a one year deal wouldn't be a horrible option. Obviously there are several questions regarding the rotation and having him would be a bit of insurance. I would love to see the combination of Belisle, Bailey, Volquez, and Cueto have great springs, but if they don't, at least Loshe could fill in. He had some really great moments last year, but also some really really bad ones. If the youngins do step up, could he be a middle reliever...someone to eat up innings if needed??? Just a thought.

Lohse has always been a head case. Last thing we need to do is sign him as a starter and move him to the bullpen creating the perfect storm.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit..
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Senor Votto

I wouldn't mind having him for a year to give Bailey and Company more time in the minors. But I wouldn't want to pay him 8 million for about 8 good starts. If you can't get him for a decent price (which probably won't happen) then leave him alone and take your chances with the young guys.

It seems like an intruiging option. That would allow Bailey to move to #5 and possibly move Volquez to the pen. This is Griffey's last year here and possibily Dunn's last. It would give them a shot to make a run for the central IMO. I don't think the 08 team has much of a shot at the Central with two rookies and Belisle in the rotation. It's possible, but the odds are not good.

As long as Lohse doesn't implode (which I understand is a large assumption), then the upside is spending $8M on an integral part of a playoff run (which is money well spent) and the downside is spending about $4M on him for half a season and netting a prospect like Matt Maloney again (which is not that bad of a fate). Either way, if Lohse can keep his ERA near 2007 numbers (4.62), it's not that bad of a deal for the Reds.

Sign Lohse to a 1 year deal?

I'll be back. I need to go change my pants.

Lohse on a one year deal wouldn't be bad - versus trying to pound square peg (Affeldt) into round hole (Starter Pitcher).

ANYTHING to keep Cueto and Bailey in AAA for a bit of time is good in my book.

It's surely better than pinning hopes on Belisle and gang to fill out #3-5 and ALL Overachieve.

Belisle in the #4 hole would be ABOVE AVERAGE, versus being below average in the #3and you can hope for Volquez to man the #5.

Since we can't move Arroyo to #3 yet, this is the next best option, IMO, if you want to WIN in this narrow window of opportunity.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

The only reason he will accept a one-year contract is to establish higher value. The best way to do that is to pitch in a big market or in a pitcher's park- not GABP. I don't see Lohse being intersted in rejoining the Reds...

I'll take him one-year $8 million though!

Lohse is probably the last pitcher on the free agent market I would sign. Honestly Id rather have reliever games than give him the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Lohse is probably the last pitcher on the free agent market I would sign. Honestly Id rather have reliever games than give him the ball.
    can you explain this? numbers disagree...

Where else can you find a starting pitcher in the prime of his career who is coming off a full season in which he pitched 192 innings and put up a 4.62 ERA (100 ERA+ park adjusted) and you: (a) don't have trade any talent to get him; and (b) only have to commit to paying him for one year? It's not out there. There is a premium on even average starting pitching, and that is what Kyle Lohse gives you.

192 innings of 4.62 ERA (100 ERA+) is something just about any team can use as a 3rd or at least 4th starter. While I am high on Bailey, Cueto, and Volquez, those types of numbers are likely to be better than what any of them put up if they are thrown to the fire in 2008 and are likely to be better than anything Matt Belisle puts up.

If the Reds are out of it, they can move Lohse again and dump the salary and pick up a servicable prospect. They are out $4M or so and pick up a prospect. Let's say Bailey or one of the other young guns goes off in 2008, has a monster year, and the Reds contend. Having a Kyle Lohse as your 4th starter is much better than what most teams trot out there.

The only way not going for this makes sense to me is if you think last year's numbers were an abberation and Lohse is going to implode. While anything is possible, nothing indicates that that is likely to happen. If it does, unlike an Eric Milton, your investment in him will not hinder future teams.

Turn Off Ads?