Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Pitching -- Let's promote the prospects

Reds Pitching -- Let's promote the prospects

Since there is no veteran top starter coming in, I would immediately install the Reds top high minors level pitchers into the rotation. And a couple in the bullpen.

My rotation -- Harang, Arroyo, Volquez, Bailey, Maloney. If Affeldt has a great spring, he can have Maloney's spot and Maloney can start at AAA.

My bullpen -- Cueto, Bray, Stanton (due to contract), Weathers, Burton, Cordero, and long man Belisle. If Affeldt in pen, I'd find a way to move Stanton.

If the Reds aren't going to acquire more high level veteran pitching, then let's get going with the high upside youngsters. Find a way for Cueto, Bailey, Volquez, and Maloney all to be with the team.

And I'll take it even further. Other than Cordero and Burton, I'd watch my relievers carefully and be ready to go with Pelland, Roenicke and Viola very soon.

If the Reds are going to compete, they just need better talent on the mound. Let's get the talent up to the major leagues now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Pitching -- Let's promote the prospects

molestation

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    molestation

Whatever crime it would be can't be worse than the crime that has passed for a pitching staff the last few years!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Since there is no veteran top starter coming in, I would immediately install the Reds top high minors level pitchers into the rotation. And a couple in the bullpen.

My rotation -- Harang, Arroyo, Volquez, Bailey, Maloney. If Affeldt has a great spring, he can have Maloney's spot and Maloney can start at AAA.

My bullpen -- Cueto, Bray, Stanton (due to contract), Weathers, Burton, Cordero, and long man Belisle. If Affeldt in pen, I'd find a way to move Stanton.

If the Reds aren't going to acquire more high level veteran pitching, then let's get going with the high upside youngsters. Find a way for Cueto, Bailey, Volquez, and Maloney all to be with the team.

And I'll take it even further. Other than Cordero and Burton, I'd watch my relievers carefully and be ready to go with Pelland, Roenicke and Viola very soon.

If the Reds are going to compete, they just need better talent on the mound. Let's get the talent up to the major leagues now.
    As opinions go, this certainly is one.

As ideas go, this is certainly a bad one.

You're assuming that the youngsters have made the transition to turn their hypothetical talent into actual talent, which is an incorrect assumption.

Bringing up the kids before they're ready (and none of them are 100% ready, let's not kid ourselves) will be catastrophically detrimental to their development. All of the kids need more time in the minors, make no mistake about it. Until they can consistently get out minor league hitters, it's criminal to assume they can consistently get out major league hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    molestation
    pitcherasty
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

You're talking about a full-scale destruction of virtually all trading value on this team.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

These would be horrible decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

You're assuming that the youngsters have made the transition to turn their hypothetical talent into actual talent, which is an incorrect assumption.

Bringing up the kids before they're ready (and none of them are 100% ready, let's not kid ourselves) will be catastrophically detrimental to their development. All of the kids need more time in the minors, make no mistake about it. Until they can consistently get out minor league hitters, it's criminal to assume they can consistently get out major league hitters.
    Was there a study done saying that bringing up pitchers early is guaranteed to ruin their careers?

I agree that it might be better to leave them in the minors but I can't see it being a lock to ruin a guy. That's how it is treated around here.

Or, conversely, The Reds could continue to DEVELOP the BEST pitching prospects they quite possibly have ever had all converging at AAA. In the meantime, Belisle and Volquez in the #3-#4 spot is just fine. I can even deal with Affeldt in the #5 if it means The kids can develop AND gain value.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

couple of things

IMHO, it is clear that Bailey needs to refine his command. Start the season at AAA

I have posited the idea recently on this board of starting Cueto off in the bullpen. The Reds need another solid RHP in the pen(think it is highly likely Weathers is going to have a rough year). Cueto does not have the command issues that Bailey has demonstrated. It is a way to get his feet wet and limit his workload (very important).

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Was there a study done saying that bringing up pitchers early is guaranteed to ruin their careers?

I agree that it might be better to leave them in the minors but I can't see it being a lock to ruin a guy. That's how it is treated around here.
    Because everytime the Reds rush a pitcher, bad things seem to happen.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

You want to take that chance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    couple of things

IMHO, it is clear that Bailey needs to refine his command. Start the season at AAA

I have posited the idea recently on this board of starting Cueto off in the bullpen. The Reds need another solid RHP in the pen(think it is highly likely Weathers is going to have a rough year). Cueto does not have the command issues that Bailey has demonstrated. It is a way to get his feet wet and limit his workload (very important).
    Look at the innings Cueto has thrown. Putting him in the bullpen would be a huge step backward in his development.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

History is the study.

History has shown that bringing pitchers up early highly correlates to ruined and or shortened careers.

The pitchers that were brought up early and weren't impacted negatively are the exception to the rule, and they are few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

No, it's criminal to assume that the team that has brought you Majewski, Coffey, Stanton, Belisle's last season, and some of the other Reds staff members will compete. They won't.

A healthy Bailey and Volquez should start every fifth day. Don't let them throw too many pitches, but I don't see what AAA adds for them at this point.

Let Cueto break in as a middle reliever. Other teams do this. He had a lot of minor league innings last year, let him cut his teeth against the real competition.

Let Maloney seriously compete for the fifth spot with Affeldt. Maloney has had a lot of minor league experience at this point. Maybe he succeeds maybe not, he's not going to be worse than last year's fifth spot, which didn't win a game until, I think, June.

Let's get some real talent on the team. Don't overuse them, but it's a better way to spend a season than watching the typical Reds staff.

Or is this upcoming season still another prelude to a future that never comes?
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-31-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Turn Off Ads?