BP top 100 ...

from Goldstein

Bruce #1
    Bailey #9
    Votto #21
    Cueto #41

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BP top 100 ...

Good to hear someone is still high on Bailey. Sometimes reading the board you think Reds fans have totally given up on the kid.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.- Stan Helsing

I think most are still high on Bailey. He is tall with a good fastball and curve while combining it with a low effort delivery. His command problems just point out that he isn't ready for prime time yet. He has a huge upside if he can work through his command issues(which should be done at AAA).

I understand how subjective rankings are, but its a pretty nice feeling to read that we have 2 top ten prospects in ALL of baseball.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I feel like that's low for Cueto. You'd think he'd be a little bit higher than that.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I feel like that's low for Cueto. You'd think he'd be a little bit higher than that.
    I think it's because short RHP supposedly aren't as "projectable".

Will the trade value of Bruce and Bailey ever he higher?

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    Will the trade value of Bruce and Bailey ever he higher?
    in the case of Bruce, probably not.

However, Bailey's could go much higher if he shows he has fixed his command issues. If he doesn't his stock will only go down.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    in the case of Bruce, probably not.

However, Bailey's could go much higher if he shows he has fixed his command issues. If he doesn't his stock will only go down.
    If they both continue to develop towards their ceilings and stay healthy, their value will increase up until about the winter after their first year of arbitration. Up until then, you still take a bit of value hit due to the inherent risk of prospect development and after that their cost becomes a problem. I think Dan Haren pretty clearly showed where maximum value is reached.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I don't know that Jay Bruce's value can possibly go much higher than it currently is now, provided he doesn't hit 50 HR's in his rookie campaign.
    Go BLUE!!!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I don't know that Jay Bruce's value can possibly go much higher than it currently is now, provided he doesn't hit 50 HR's in his rookie campaign.
    If Bruce actually proves he can hit like he is projected to do, his value will increase significantly. He doesn't need to hit 50 HR's to do that.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

This list is about 50 times better than that crap Keith Law just released over on ESPN. Seriously, Keith Law is the worst 'minor league analyst' I have ever read that actually gets paid (and I bet he gets paid pretty well too).

Still a few issues with KG's list, but in general there were only a few things that really hit me as a 'whoa, really?' type reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    If Bruce actually proves he can hit like he is projected to do
    It's all about expectations. I know a James projection had some ludicrous numbers. I am waiting to see PECOTA. I think he is a bit overhyped, but we'll see.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I'm not too concerned about Homer's control when you factor in his groin injury. When he's healthy his control should be there. Minor League stats show his K/BB ratio running roughly between 2/1 and 3/1 so far in his young career.

http://www.rotowire.com/baseball/player.htm?id=8308

Homers BB rate in AAA last was 4.28 and his K/BB was ~1.5. Both were signsof the fact he was going to struggle mightily at the MLB level. His ERA was masking command issues which were going to cause him to stumble and as far as I can tell the command issues are still there because he struggled with command from the start of the season last year.

Turn Off Ads?