Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Belisle signs, avoids Arb

Belisle signs, avoids Arb

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Reds RHP Belisle gets $1.25 million deal, avoids arbitration

January 31, 2008

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Right-hander Matt Belisle agreed to a one-year, $1.25 million contract Thursday, leaving the Cincinnati Reds with one player left in arbitration.

The 27-year-old Belisle went 8-9 with a 5.32 ERA in 30 starts last season. He is one of several pitchers who will compete for a spot in the rotation behind Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo.

Belisle made $390,000 last season and was eligible for arbitration for the first time. He asked for $1.65 million, and the club offered $1 million. His deal includes a chance to make up to $100,000 in bonuses for innings pitched.

Belisle pitched a career-high 177 2-3 innings last season. He would get paid an additional $25,000 bonus for reaching 175, 185, 200 and 210 innings.

Second baseman Brandon Phillips is the only Reds player left in arbitration. Phillips asked for $4.2 million, and the Reds countered with a $2.7 million offer.
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Re: Belisle signs, avoids Arb

He is one of several pitchers who will compete for a spot in the rotation behind Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo.
    At this point, he is pretty much assured the #3 (as it should be)...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

I expect a very solid year from Matt.

Indeed. A steal considering what the other threads are predicting Lohse will ask for for one year (haha, sorry, couldnt resist seeing that Bip and Base both posted on this one )

agreed with all of the above posts. Unless his spring is something horrendous how can he not be in the rotation?

I understand the hate towards Belisle a little, but what I dont understand is how people think he is only going to get worse. He had a pretty solid year for a guy making his 1st attempt at starting.

Heck, he might even approach League Average this year, if we're lucky.

Now all we have to do is hope Volquez/Bailey/Affeldt can approach Belisle's numbers from last year, and we can maybe approach the same level of SUCK in the starting rotation we had in 2007.

Right now, the only improved SP position seems to be the #5. Start printing off your playoff tickets!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    At this point, he is pretty much assured the #3 (as it should be)...
    If he is our #3 the Reds are in for yet another long season. Belisle should be a long man/spot starter at best.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

I AGREE.

and we will have a long season.

who else you gonna throw out there though? 2 rookies, 3 rookies?

Not a bad deal for a young up and comer. I can't wait till he proves everyone wrong this season. I can see him having an improved season. The only thing that's going to hurt him is him pitching in the third spot.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    If he is our #3 the Reds are in for yet another long season. Belisle should be a long man/spot starter at best.
    Come on, don't you know moving Belisle's 5.26 ERA from #4 to #3 in the rotation, and leaving 4 "rookies" to battle for the #4 and #5 is the "BESTEST" off-season moves in the History of the Reds?!?!?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Bleeds is full of misquotes, and lets not forget insults, advice, and capital letters.

Belisle will have an ERA better than league average in 2008. I have no idea how some of you can be so down on the guy. He misses bats and has good command. For 1.25 Belisle is a steal and will be one of the few Reds that will be worth far more than his salary.

Turn Off Ads?