Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite newly discovered bands

Re: Your favorite newly discovered bands

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Laugh... but I can't stop listening to Primus recently (I love it when I find new music from when I was very young or before I was born)...
    I saw Primus/Firehose/Cracker at the Greek Theater in Berkeley, circa 1991.

Awesome show

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I saw Primus/Firehose/Cracker at the Greek Theater in Berkeley, circa 1991.

Awesome show
    I love the music videos and the shows look great (I miss the 90's )...

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Editors
    We are scientists
    Bloc party
    These are some great bands here. The British people know their music.

I just picked up the aforementioned Vampire Weekend album. It's great stuff.

Marvelous 3/Butch Walker

Last edited by pedro; 03-26-2008 at 07:05 PM.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    They're a great live show. I saw them open for Clinic and had the time of my life. I bought their first CD and got a free CD-R of some rap remixes that they did.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    They're a great live show. I saw them open for Clinic and had the time of my life. I bought their first CD and got a free CD-R of some rap remixes that they did.
    nice.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Ok, here's some kickarse bands that I just recently discovered:

The Shins
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
    Pinback
    Stephen Marley
    The Kooks
    The Koreans
    Spoon
    The Cat Empire

Enjoy!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Tonight @ The Orpheum in Boston I saw Honey Honey open for Matt Nathanson who opened for Lifehouse.

First time hearing Matt Nathanson, and I must say I was definitely entertained.

Do a lot of people actually like July For Kings? Maybe I just don't get it. Their stuff sounds so mediocre to me.

Also, Television has to be one of the more underrated/underappreciated bands ever. It happens when you don't have a lot of material though. Julian from The Strokes said that Television is by far their biggest influence (which makes sense).

Anyway, I'll make a few recommendations.

The first is to check out Panic at the Disco's new record, "Pretty Odd." They're not exactly a new band, but the record is new and it sounds really good. It sounds nothing like their first effort and musically, this album sounds like a Beatles record (a cross between "Sgt. Pepper" and "Magical Mystery Tour"). I did not care for their first album at all, but this is a special record.

Secondly, I recommend Duffy. Great singer from Whales and she's like this really cool hodgepodge sound of Dusty Springfield, Norah Jones, Dolly Parton, Amy Winehouse and some others I'm not thinking of. I'm curious to see how she'll be embraced in America.

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    Butch Walker
    I got dragged to a Butch Walker concert at the Knitting Factory in New York several years ago. Had never heard of him and knew nothing about him. He was INCREDIBLE. He is just one of these performers who goes all out with no apologies and thought to consequence. The antithesis of live Television whom I referenced earlier in the thread. By the end of the concert he was down in the crowd leaning against a column, singing a capella with sweat pouring off him as everybody stood there enraptured. A really unique musician. I've never even bought his stuff -- I suspect that he is someone, like Ian Moore, who is a live artist, period...or at least someone who never measures up on record once you've seen him live. Great stuff. he has a real mish-mash of old styles going on that sound really old school in person that I don't think would translate to record.

I'm enjoying a band called Dodos this week. Bit poppy, bit rhythmic, bit all over the place...they're fun.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I got dragged to a Butch Walker concert at the Knitting Factory in New York several years ago. Had never heard of him and knew nothing about him. He was INCREDIBLE. He is just one of these performers who goes all out with no apologies and thought to consequence. The antithesis of live Television whom I referenced earlier in the thread. By the end of the concert he was down in the crowd leaning against a column, singing a capella with sweat pouring off him as everybody stood there enraptured. A really unique musician. I've never even bought his stuff -- I suspect that he is someone, like Ian Moore, who is a live artist, period...or at least someone who never measures up on record once you've seen him live. Great stuff. he has a real mish-mash of old styles going on that sound really old school in person that I don't think would translate to record.

I'm enjoying a band called Dodos this week. Bit poppy, bit rhythmic, bit all over the place...they're fun.
    I discovered Butch Walker during the Hair Band Hey Day when he was with Southgang. I thought he had slipped into obscurity until I did a search for Southgang on You Tube and it gave me the video for M3's "Freak of the Week". I was blown away by the transformation in musical style over what he used to do.

I kind of see his style as being as you said, a mish mash, mostly of Queen, David Bowie, and still some 80's hard rock roots.

I was really disappointed that I found out who Marvelous 3 was 8 years after Butch, Jayce, and Slug called it quits.
    Last edited by dman; 03-31-2008 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    I discovered Butch Walker during the Hair Band Hey Day when he was with Southgang. I thought he had slipped into obscurity until I did a search for Southgang on You Tube and it gave me the video for M3's "Freak of the Week". I was blown away by the transformation in musical style over what he used to do.

I kind of see his style as being as you said, a mish mash, mostly of Queen, David Bowie, and still some 80's hard rock roots.

I was really disappointed that I found out who Marvelous 3 was 8 years after Butch, Jayce, and Slug called it quits.
    Oops, Duplicate Post
    Last edited by dman; 03-31-2008 at 02:30 AM.

I've been listening to Bush's Sixteen Stone. I know I'm about 15 years behind most of the stuff I discover...

On the brink of disaster

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Whoever mentioned pandora.com- THANKS!

I have been listening to it for the last week and I'm amazed at how well it works.
    I tell everyone I know about that website, it really passes the time for me.

Turn Off Ads?