Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite newly discovered bands

Re: Your favorite newly discovered bands

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    The Fray and Onerepublic eh? Both Colorado Bands..

The Fray has been big here in Denver for years, so I'm a bit worn out on them.. which sucks. But hey.

Some bands worth checking out:

The Kooks
    Louis XIV
    Cold War Kids
    I'm loving me some Cold War Kids. Fantastic!

The Kooks are good too, but damn, I really like the sound of the Cold War Kids. "Hang Me Up To Dry" and "Hospital Beds" are just plain awesome.
    Last edited by Redhook; 02-25-2008 at 11:35 PM.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

If you're into the more mellow singer/songwriter vibe, check out Matthew Santos (no relation to the fictional presidential candidate from The West Wing). It's good stuff, IMO.

For anyone that follows current Top-40 radio, he's the guy doing the background vocals on the new rap song "Superstar" by Lupe Fiasco.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post
    Pandora.com is a great place to find new music.
    Agreed. My music listening repertoire has expanded dramatically since I found this site.

Some bands I discovered recently that I like:

Black Stone Cherry
    Karnivool
    Paramore
    Flyleaf

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

With the iPod revolution, I am discovering and re-discovering a lot of music.

I totally missed the 90s. Was busy raising the kids and listening to Raffi, Barney and Disney Classics.

On the video thread someone mentioned "Everclear" whom I swear I had never heard.
    Picked up "Sparkle and Fade" and "So much for the Afterglow" used on Amazon for $0.01 (plus 2.98 S+H) and really liked them (and the price, obviously).

From the newer stuff, I really like punk-pop band Allister. My daughters (now teenagers) are also coming up with newer stuff (I show them the classics, they show me "Death Cab For Cutie", etc.). No rap or hip-hop allowed (everyone's fine with that).

Keep this thread going, I've got a lot of blanks to fill in...will be checking this stuff out.

Thanks, guys.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

On the video thread someone mentioned "Everclear" whom I swear I had never heard.
    Art lives here in town and has an office down the street from Pedro's house, occasionally we see him pacing around the sidewalk smoking... he has that pent up ex junkie nervous shuffle.

There is no band that sings more about personal life stuff then Everclear, sometimes it's downright scary.

Defiance Ohio.

A great band from here in Bloomington.

There is a punky/folky scene that escalates in the summer when kids seem to migrate across the country, squatting on farm land and going to underground punk concerts.

PLAN-IT-X Records, also located here Bloomington, is very much a part of that scene. They sponsored a festival a few summers ago and downtown Bloomington was full of very dirty and very smelly punk kids for a week. But they were very cool, for the most part.

EDIT: Seems PLAN-IT-X is now in Gainesville. Don't know when that happened. Anyway, their website is now streaming music. Check it out- it's all pretty cool.
    Last edited by SunDeck; 02-26-2008 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Added a link.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    INXS was huge when i was in High School in the early 80's.

One band from the 70's that I have just "discovered" is "Television"

I had heard of them but never listened to them.

the album "marquee moon" is great.
    Ditto on this one. Brilliant band, and I'm disappointed that it took me this long to start listening to them.

VP: when/where did you see them live?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post

Picked up "Sparkle and Fade" and "So much for the Afterglow" used on Amazon for $0.01 (plus 2.98 S+H) and really liked them (and the price, obviously).

I adore Everclear. Really. Sparkle and Fade is just fabulous. Arts certainly at his best when railing on his own past misfortunes and mistakes, but even his 'pop' songs are solid contributions.

They have a song called "You make me feel like a *****" and Art and the boys were doing an acoustic set at his then young daughters pre-school....they changed the lyrics to 'You make me feel like I'm four'. It was touching in a twisted way.

I'm not a star.....well you know the second half, but Art's one of those guys I'd like to meet. If there were one of those dinners where you could invite three people....and I limited it to music, Art would be one of them. So very cool that WOY and Pedro see him on occasion.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I adore Everclear. Really. Sparkle and Fade is just fabulous. Arts certainly at his best when railing on his own past misfortunes and mistakes, but even his 'pop' songs are solid contributions.

They have a song called "You make me feel like a *****" and Art and the boys were doing an acoustic set at his then young daughters pre-school....they changed the lyrics to 'You make me feel like I'm four'. It was touching in a twisted way.

I'm not a star.....well you know the second half, but Art's one of those guys I'd like to meet. If there were one of those dinners where you could invite three people....and I limited it to music, Art would be one of them. So very cool that WOY and Pedro see him on occasion.

His recording studio is a couple of blocks from my house. I see him tooling around the neighborhood quite often. Tiny little guy. Always seems to be on his cell phone.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I'm on hold right now and muzak is jamming out "california stars" by wilco.

cracks me up.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I'm on hold right now and muzak is jamming out "california stars" by wilco.

cracks me up.
    Great song. I bought that CD because I am a big fan of Billy Bragg. Hadn't even heard of Wilco, but that collaboration turned me into a fan. Man, was that already ten years ago?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I just discovered that Gary Louris (The Jayhawks) released a solo album this year and it is really good. I like it as much as the last few Jayhawks albums.

Quote Originally Posted by nycredsfan View Post
    I just discovered that Gary Louris (The Jayhawks) released a solo album this year and it is really good. I like it as much as the last few Jayhawks albums.
    Listened to yesterday, it is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by nycredsfan View Post
    I like it too. Probably going to see him when he comes around next month.

I've recently started listening to Magnolia Electric Co. with the Sojourner box set. For whatever reason I had always sort of ignored all of Jason Molina's projects until this one.

Turn Off Ads?