Thread: Your favorite newly discovered bands

Re: Your favorite newly discovered bands

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Vampire Weekend
    Shout Out Louds
    The Hard Lessons
    Iron and Wine
    I like "Vampire Weekend" too

If you haven't already you might want to check out "Clap your hands say yeah". They've got their own Talking Heads thing going on. So much so that the first time I heard them I said to my friend "Did David Byrne make a good solo album I didn't know about?"
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

2. Turn Off Ads?

Evan's Blue

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post

If you haven't already you might want to check out "Clap your hands say yeah". They've got their own Talking Heads thing going on. So much so that the first time I heard them I said to my friend "Did David Byrne make a good solo album I didn't know about?"
    I've heard a bit of Clap Your Hands... on XM but I'll check them out some more. Thanks for the tip!

The Shout Out Louds sound to me like a bouncier, Swedish version of the Cure. Couple of the guys from Peter Bjorn & John were involved in the production of their latest album.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

The Shout Out Louds sound to me like a bouncier, Swedish version of the Cure. Couple of the guys from Peter Bjorn & John were involved in the production of their latest album.
    I'll have to check them out. That sounds interesting.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Just checked their tour schedule and they're playing in Portland March 25 at the Doug Fir Lounge.

Hope they tour the East Coast sometime soon.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Just checked their tour schedule and they're playing in Portland March 25 at the Doug Fir Lounge.

Hope they tour the East Coast sometime soon.
    very small place. holds about 200 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    INXS, I can't believe I didn't start listening to them before. They have some great songs. But I prefer their original singer than their new one. It's a shame he died at a young age he really was talented.

Kind of funny, I knew about them before most. I moved to Australia in 1981, and the day I moved into my flat there were posters on all the telephone poles around advertising INXS playing at the local pub. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to pronounce the name of the band. Inkses?

Anyway, my favorite newly discovered (for me) singers of 2007 were probably Kim Richey and Josh Ritter.

INXS was huge when i was in High School in the early 80's.

One band from the 70's that I have just "discovered" is "Television"

I had heard of them but never listened to them.

the album "marquee moon" is great.

One band from the 70's that I have just "discovered" is "Television"

I had heard of them but never listened to them.

the album "marquee moon" is great.
    One of my favorite bands ever, and probably the best band I have ever seen live. Have I talked about this here before? I feel like I have (I still talk about it a fair amount). It was just technically flawless. My friend who was with me commented at the time that she had not seen so much onstage tuning since Trout at the Battle of the Bands in high school, and she was right. They'd stand there before each song, tuning, tuning, tuning in complete silence (even freaking TUNING they held the crowd reverent), and then they'd break out with the first chord of a song and it was like glass cutting through the air. People often talk about strong technique freeing up an artist to really be expressive emotionally, but I've never seen such a palpable representation of that as I did during this show. And I'm not much of a musician, but even I could recognize this. Everything was just perfect, and the music just really transcended itself and left everybody about knocked out. I was totally sober, by the way.

I left that concert feeling simultaneously depressed at the thought that I could never ever do anything as well as they do what they do and totally uplifted that something that perfect exists in the world. I know that sounds totally hyperbolic but I really did feel like that. I was on air for days. I know their albums may not be for everyone, but I'd recommend a live show of theirs to anybody -- they don't play very often but they do still play. And if you ever hit on a bar that has the album on a jukebox, play Marquee Moon (the song) at about 1 am when everybody's had just enough but not too much to drink. It just keeps going, and going...and man. I love Television.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    One of my favorite bands ever, and probably the best band I have ever seen live. Have I talked about this here before? I feel like I have (I still talk about it a fair amount). It was just technically flawless. My friend who was with me commented at the time that she had not seen so much onstage tuning since Trout at the Battle of the Bands in high school, and she was right. They'd stand there before each song, tuning, tuning, tuning in complete silence (even freaking TUNING they held the crowd reverent), and then they'd break out with the first chord of a song and it was like glass cutting through the air. People often talk about strong technique freeing up an artist to really be expressive emotionally, but I've never seen such a palpable representation of that as I did during this show. And I'm not much of a musician, but even I could recognize this. Everything was just perfect, and the music just really transcended itself and left everybody about knocked out. I was totally sober, by the way.

I left that concert feeling simultaneously depressed at the thought that I could never ever do anything as well as they do what they do and totally uplifted that something that perfect exists in the world. I know that sounds totally hyperbolic but I really did feel like that. I was on air for days. I know their albums may not be for everyone, but I'd recommend a live show of theirs to anybody -- they don't play very often but they do still play. And if you ever hit on a bar that has the album on a jukebox, play Marquee Moon (the song) at about 1 am when everybody's had just enough but not too much to drink. It just keeps going, and going...and man. I love Television.
    I totally understand what you are saying.

You'll be happy to know that I burned a copy of it for my favorite local pub and they've been playing it quite a lot.

You'll be happy to know that I burned a copy of it for my favorite local pub and they've been playing it quite a lot.
    The world is a slightly better place, pedro.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    The world is a slightly better place, pedro.
    I do try.

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post
    Well, I search for new music constantly....a few bands I found before they got big, such as The Fray...

Onerepublic is picking up momentum, but I started listening to them when they were only on myspace with no CD out...

Melee I have been listening to for a little while, but still like them

Nevertheless I just found recently

Forever The Sickest Kids is another I just found.

Pandora.com is a great place to find new music.

The Fray and Onerepublic eh? Both Colorado Bands..

The Fray has been big here in Denver for years, so I'm a bit worn out on them.. which sucks. But hey.

Some bands worth checking out:

The Kooks
    Louis XIV
    Cold War Kids
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    Evan's Blue
    That's what I'm talkin' about. Very good band. Thank you.

In return, my gift to you is Chevelle. They're great. Very underrated heavy alternative rock band. And they're coming to Cincy in April at Bogart's. I can't wait.

From this thread, I also like Rooney, Vampire Weekend, and The Kooks.

Thanks for sharing these bands. I look forward to hearing more good music. Keep it coming.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

July For Kings. Listening to them for the first time right now. Not bad. They're from Dayton.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Turn Off Ads?