Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 78

Thread: Your favorite newly discovered bands

  1. #16
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,753

    Re: Your favorite newly discovered bands

    Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Vampire Weekend
    Shout Out Louds
    The Hard Lessons
    Iron and Wine
    I like "Vampire Weekend" too

    If you haven't already you might want to check out "Clap your hands say yeah". They've got their own Talking Heads thing going on. So much so that the first time I heard them I said to my friend "Did David Byrne make a good solo album I didn't know about?"
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member Stephenk29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    710

    Re: Your favorite newly discovered bands

    Evan's Blue

  4. #18
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC or thereabouts
    Posts
    3,891

    Re: Your favorite newly discovered bands

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I like "Vampire Weekend" too

    If you haven't already you might want to check out "Clap your hands say yeah". They've got their own Talking Heads thing going on. So much so that the first time I heard them I said to my friend "Did David Byrne make a good solo album I didn't know about?"
    I've heard a bit of Clap Your Hands... on XM but I'll check them out some more. Thanks for the tip!

    The Shout Out Louds sound to me like a bouncier, Swedish version of the Cure. Couple of the guys from Peter Bjorn & John were involved in the production of their latest album.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  5. #19
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,753

    Re: Your favorite newly discovered bands

    Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    The Shout Out Louds sound to me like a bouncier, Swedish version of the Cure. Couple of the guys from Peter Bjorn & John were involved in the production of their latest album.
    I'll have to check them out. That sounds interesting.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  6. #20
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Asheville, NC or thereabouts
    Posts
    3,891

    Re: Your favorite newly discovered bands

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I like "Vampire Weekend" too
    Just checked their tour schedule and they're playing in Portland March 25 at the Doug Fir Lounge.

    Hope they tour the East Coast sometime soon.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  7. #21
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,753

    Re: Your favorite newly discovered bands

    Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Just checked their tour schedule and they're playing in Portland March 25 at the Doug Fir Lounge.

    Hope they tour the East Coast sometime soon.
    very small place. holds about 200 people.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  8. #22
    The rest is drama. marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the woods, with a shovel
    Posts
    5,240

    Re: Your favorite newly discovered bands

    Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    INXS, I can't believe I didn't start listening to them before. They have some great songs. But I prefer their original singer than their new one. It's a shame he died at a young age he really was talented.

    Kind of funny, I knew about them before most. I moved to Australia in 1981, and the day I moved into my flat there were posters on all the telephone poles around advertising INXS playing at the local pub. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to pronounce the name of the band. Inkses?

    Anyway, my favorite newly discovered (for me) singers of 2007 were probably Kim Richey and Josh Ritter.

  9. #23
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,753

    Re: Your favorite newly discovered bands

    INXS was huge when i was in High School in the early 80's.

    One band from the 70's that I have just "discovered" is "Television"

    I had heard of them but never listened to them.

    the album "marquee moon" is great.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  10. #24
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,250

    Re: Your favorite newly discovered bands

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    One band from the 70's that I have just "discovered" is "Television"

    I had heard of them but never listened to them.

    the album "marquee moon" is great.
    One of my favorite bands ever, and probably the best band I have ever seen live. Have I talked about this here before? I feel like I have (I still talk about it a fair amount). It was just technically flawless. My friend who was with me commented at the time that she had not seen so much onstage tuning since Trout at the Battle of the Bands in high school, and she was right. They'd stand there before each song, tuning, tuning, tuning in complete silence (even freaking TUNING they held the crowd reverent), and then they'd break out with the first chord of a song and it was like glass cutting through the air. People often talk about strong technique freeing up an artist to really be expressive emotionally, but I've never seen such a palpable representation of that as I did during this show. And I'm not much of a musician, but even I could recognize this. Everything was just perfect, and the music just really transcended itself and left everybody about knocked out. I was totally sober, by the way.

    I left that concert feeling simultaneously depressed at the thought that I could never ever do anything as well as they do what they do and totally uplifted that something that perfect exists in the world. I know that sounds totally hyperbolic but I really did feel like that. I was on air for days. I know their albums may not be for everyone, but I'd recommend a live show of theirs to anybody -- they don't play very often but they do still play. And if you ever hit on a bar that has the album on a jukebox, play Marquee Moon (the song) at about 1 am when everybody's had just enough but not too much to drink. It just keeps going, and going...and man. I love Television.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  11. #25
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,753

    Re: Your favorite newly discovered bands

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    One of my favorite bands ever, and probably the best band I have ever seen live. Have I talked about this here before? I feel like I have (I still talk about it a fair amount). It was just technically flawless. My friend who was with me commented at the time that she had not seen so much onstage tuning since Trout at the Battle of the Bands in high school, and she was right. They'd stand there before each song, tuning, tuning, tuning in complete silence (even freaking TUNING they held the crowd reverent), and then they'd break out with the first chord of a song and it was like glass cutting through the air. People often talk about strong technique freeing up an artist to really be expressive emotionally, but I've never seen such a palpable representation of that as I did during this show. And I'm not much of a musician, but even I could recognize this. Everything was just perfect, and the music just really transcended itself and left everybody about knocked out. I was totally sober, by the way.

    I left that concert feeling simultaneously depressed at the thought that I could never ever do anything as well as they do what they do and totally uplifted that something that perfect exists in the world. I know that sounds totally hyperbolic but I really did feel like that. I was on air for days. I know their albums may not be for everyone, but I'd recommend a live show of theirs to anybody -- they don't play very often but they do still play. And if you ever hit on a bar that has the album on a jukebox, play Marquee Moon (the song) at about 1 am when everybody's had just enough but not too much to drink. It just keeps going, and going...and man. I love Television.
    I totally understand what you are saying.

    You'll be happy to know that I burned a copy of it for my favorite local pub and they've been playing it quite a lot.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  12. #26
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,250

    Re: Your favorite newly discovered bands

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    You'll be happy to know that I burned a copy of it for my favorite local pub and they've been playing it quite a lot.
    The world is a slightly better place, pedro.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  13. #27
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,753

    Re: Your favorite newly discovered bands

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    The world is a slightly better place, pedro.
    I do try.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  14. #28
    We are the angry mob cincyinco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The 303
    Posts
    2,540

    Re: Your favorite newly discovered bands

    Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post
    Well, I search for new music constantly....a few bands I found before they got big, such as The Fray...

    Onerepublic is picking up momentum, but I started listening to them when they were only on myspace with no CD out...

    Melee I have been listening to for a little while, but still like them

    Nevertheless I just found recently

    Forever The Sickest Kids is another I just found.

    Pandora.com is a great place to find new music.

    The Fray and Onerepublic eh? Both Colorado Bands..

    The Fray has been big here in Denver for years, so I'm a bit worn out on them.. which sucks. But hey.

    Some bands worth checking out:

    The Kooks
    Louis XIV
    Cold War Kids
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

    -Hunter S. Thompson

  15. #29
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: Your favorite newly discovered bands

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    Evan's Blue
    That's what I'm talkin' about. Very good band. Thank you.

    In return, my gift to you is Chevelle. They're great. Very underrated heavy alternative rock band. And they're coming to Cincy in April at Bogart's. I can't wait.

    From this thread, I also like Rooney, Vampire Weekend, and The Kooks.

    Thanks for sharing these bands. I look forward to hearing more good music. Keep it coming.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  16. #30
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: Your favorite newly discovered bands

    July For Kings. Listening to them for the first time right now. Not bad. They're from Dayton.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25