Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coco Crisp?

Coco Crisp?

With the emergance of Jacob Elsbury it appears that Coco Crisp will be available. He is young, cheap (app. 4M), and very talented. He has had some problems in Boston, but much of that started when he got injured last year and came back too soon.
    He plays a gold glove cailber center field, and is a switch hitter, who can lead off or bat second.
    I know the Reds already have too many outfielders, but in GABP, his defense in center would really help the team, and the Reds could use a small ball type player like Crisp to balance out the lineup, which IMO, is filled with too many #5 type hitters.
    I think if the Reds offered Votto, they could get him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Coco Crisp?

Votto? for someone not a pitcher... that would hurt too much IMO.

No I agree if it's not a Pitcher for Votto then not Votto.

I'd prefer Hamilton in CF over Coco.

I would too but I think Bruce is next centerfielder with Hamilton going to rightfield.

First, it doesn't have to be Votto. i just know that they will probably lose Lowell next year, move Youk to third and need a firstbaseman.

Second, they might include a minor league pitcher with Crisp for Votto. Votto made a great impression in Sept. and they are not that high on Crisp. Which also means that the Reds might be able to get him for a lower prospect than Votto.

Third, I love Hamilton in center too, but I watch a lot of Red Sox games since my brother lives in Boston, and Crisp might be the best defensive centerfielder in the game today. He makes catches that Andruw Jones made in his prime. Watching him play, you can see that he is overflowing with talent, but that Boston is just not the right place for him.

But that does bring up a problem, if the Reds acquire Crisp. Who to sit? But I think with Jr and Hamilton getting injured so often, it might not be a bad idea to have 4 solid starting outfielders. I would not want Crisp if it meant losing Hamilton, though, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    First, it doesn't have to be Votto. i just know that they will probably lose Lowell next year, move Youk to third and need a firstbaseman.

Second, they might include a minor league pitcher with Crisp for Votto. Votto made a great impression in Sept. and they are not that high on Crisp. Which also means that the Reds might be able to get him for a lower prospect than Votto.

Third, I love Hamilton in center too, but I watch a lot of Red Sox games since my brother lives in Boston, and Crisp might be the best defensive centerfielder in the game today. He makes catches that Andruw Jones made in his prime. Watching him play, you can see that he is overflowing with talent, but that Boston is just not the right place for him.

But that does bring up a problem, if the Reds acquire Crisp. Who to sit? But I think with Jr and Hamilton getting injured so often, it might not be a bad idea to have 4 solid starting outfielders. I would not want Crisp if it meant losing Hamilton, though, I agree.
    I'll tell you what would make an amazing outfield...

Hamilton in LF...Coco in CF... Bruce in RF... move Dunn to 1st.

Maybe flip-flop Hamilton and Bruce... whichever of the two is the better defender should go in RF. I've heard Bruce is going to be a stud corner OFer... not sure if he's better than Josh, though.

That would be 3 plus defenders at their respective positions. ESPECIALLY sticking Hamilton in LF. That would be a hell of a luxury having his defense in LF.

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    I would too but I think Bruce is next centerfielder with Hamilton going to rightfield.
    Everything I've heard says that Bruce profiles strictly as a corner outfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Everything I've heard says that Bruce profiles strictly as a corner outfielder.
    Like what? I've heard he has good speed with a great arm. Then again, I haven't really read anything about his route running...

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Like what? I've heard he has good speed with a great arm. Then again, I haven't really read anything about his route running...
    His size mainly. The same reason that Hamilton is a bit of a stretch as a permanent CFer. Except Hamilton is, I believe, quicker and a more athletic outfielder than Jay Bruce.

If he got replaced by a rookie why would we want him...

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    If he got replaced by a rookie why would we want him...
    because he can play. He is an upgrade over folk legend Ryan Freel, and can help make up for the balls Dunn cant get to because of his weight, and the ones Jr. cant reach because of his legs. I like the idea of acquiring an everyday CF to roam around until Drew Stubbs makes or breaks, or until a better replacement is found.

Coco Crisp? You're joking right. No thanks.

I know the Dunn debate has been discussed ad nauseum and I'm really not trying to rehash it... there's no doubt that Dunn is a great player and any team would be lucky to have him. However, if I'm WK and I'm trying to free up some money for pitching (either in FA or for trading in a salary dump situation).... to me Hamilton can spell Dunn in the sense that he's a left-handed power bat outfielder. Maybe he's not gonna hit as many HRs as Dunn but I think he'll bat for a much better average, while retaining a lot of the LH power bat threat, and playing a much better defense.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what the thrifty WK is thinking - although it seems BCast is on the Dunn wagon - so it'll be interesting to see how that situation plays out.

Someone will have to convince me that our outfield wouldn't be upgraded by making Hamilton spelling Dunn and then geting a legit CFer (like Crisp or maybe Torii Hunter, or whoever) and then maybe (depending on which CF we chose) spending the extra $$ on pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by hippie07 View Post
    Someone will have to convince me that our outfield wouldn't be upgraded by making Hamilton spelling Dunn and then geting a legit CFer (like Crisp or maybe Torii Hunter, or whoever) and then maybe (depending on which CF we chose) spending the extra $$ on pitching.
    Name a pitcher who is a free agent this year who would be worth $13M a year. A good idea in most other years, just not this one.

Turn Off Ads?