Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoosier Hoops

Re: Hoosier Hoops

Hey Revering: Can you edit your post and take out all that "extra stuff"??

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dane Fife, Scott Drew and Brad Stevens top my lists as the next coachat IU. All have Indiana ties and are young guys who would be there for the long haul to rebuild IU.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I'll give you another name I'd consider: Kevin Stallings.
    Agree 100%... but he's going to get the Illinois job when they can Bruce.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Agree 100%... but he's going to get the Illinois job when they can Bruce.
    Why do you say that?

When's that going to happen?
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I think Indiana would be stupid if their first call isn't to Sean Miller. Of all the hot shot coaching names out there, he's accomplished the most. He's got a Xavier team largely recruited by him (he was Matta's top recruiting assistant) that is looking like a legit Elite 8 contender. The recruits he's lined up for next year look like studs. Kenny Frease is a top 40 player, and do a search for Brad Redford up in Michigan. Kid's putting up 40 facing triangle and 2s, with both guys guarding him. He's an unreal shooter out to 30 feet.

And this is coming from a Dayton fan. I'm nothing but impressed by Miller. He's absolutely ready to lead an elite program. He's all class. There would be no worries of violations with him.

The question is whether he'd go. That I'm not so sure about. He's very loyal to X, and it appears the only job he'd definitely leave for is Pitt, which doesn't look to be opening up anytime soon.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Dane Fife, Scott Drew and Brad Stevens top my lists as the next coachat IU. All have Indiana ties and are young guys who would be there for the long haul to rebuild IU.
    Dane Fife's hopefully going to be a good coach someday but he'd be a disaster at IU at this stage.

I'm in the Sean Miller camp. Assuming he's ready to step up from a "mid major program."
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Yeah, I hear the only job Miller is leaving X for is Pitt.

I think Steve Alford is the most likely candidate to end up coaching the Hoosiers.

Who IU ultimately succeeds in hiring will also be quite dependent on what sort of sanctions they face. If the NCAA hits them hard, as has been speculated, it might be more difficult than folks initially imagined to find a "top-tier" candidate.

I don't think any high level or up and coming coach like Sean Miller will consider IU until sanctions are handed down. It would be just too risky to come into a situation were the NCAA would limit scholarships and NCAA Tourney appearances.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'll give you another name I'd consider: Kevin Stallings.
    No way Jose...He is a Purdue Grad, that would never go over in Bloomington.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Yay!

Why do you say that?

When's that going to happen?
    Stallings is from Illinois.

Maybe this year. The natives are restless from what I understand. The group of freshman that Stallings has may make him think about sticking around. If what you read is true, he loves thos kids.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 02-14-2008 at 05:07 PM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Who IU ultimately succeeds in hiring will also be quite dependent on what sort of sanctions they face. If the NCAA hits them hard, as has been speculated, it might be more difficult than folks initially imagined to find a "top-tier" candidate.
    I dont think so Rick Pitino went to Kentucky and what Sutton and Co did where alot worse than what Kelvin did. I get the impression that if IU cans Kelvin then the NCAA will go lighter on them. I think scholarship reductions and maybe loss of TV games are in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    They were pretty good in the 80s when Wayman Tisdale was there. Even made the Final 4 in 82.
    The two things that you have to remember is that Sampson took OU to the NCAA's every season he was there. He also was having this success when the OU football program was going through a down period. Those two things probably factored into why Sampson was allowed to remain as long as he did.

You also have to remember that, as it pertains to the NCAA, you need to be proven guilty. There is no burden of proof on the NCAA; you don't like it, you can apply for the NAIA.

IU, having been a second-tier program for 20 years, will likely be made an example of simply because the NCAA doesn't care for Kelvin Sampson's tactics. (And, really, he is dirty. Eric Gordon, Meric Shordan-- that is the penultimate example of dirty pool.) They can then point to IU and state how they're so tough on cheating.

Meanwhile, perennial powers in football (USC, Auburn, LSU, and many, many others) and in basketball (Duke, North Carolina, and a few others) will continue to get away with bigger "crimes".

You also have to remember that, as it pertains to the NCAA, you need to be proven guilty. There is no burden of proof on the NCAA; you don't like it, you can apply for the NAIA.

IU, having been a second-tier program for 20 years, will likely be made an example of simply because the NCAA doesn't care for Kelvin Sampson's tactics. (And, really, he is dirty. Eric Gordon, Meric Shordan-- that is the penultimate example of dirty pool.) They can then point to IU and state how they're so tough on cheating.

Meanwhile, perennial powers in football (USC, Auburn, LSU, and many, many others) and in basketball (Duke, North Carolina, and a few others) will continue to get away with bigger "crimes".
    I wouldnt go as far as to say IU has been a second-tier program for 20 years, 13 years maybe but not 20. They had the wrong coach and still made the final game five years ago.

Turn Off Ads?