Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoosier Hoops

Re: Hoosier Hoops

BTW, didn't Steve Alford turn down the IU job, or did Indiana decide they didn't want him?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Rumors? There isn't anything about Myron Piggie that is a rumor. I would research something before I call someone out on it. I can go into a lot more detail on the Duke situation if you want. I just figured that the Myron Piggie thing was common knowledge.
    I know about Myron Piggie. I've been directed to truthaboutduke.com many times over the years. Maggette didn't receive any money while he was at Duke. There is no evidence that Duke or Coach K had any idea that he was taking money before he enrolled at Duke.

Maggette wasn't a true amateur so maybe the runner up finish should be wiped off the books. Either way the Duke admin. and coaches were all cleared, I don't see it as being Duke or Coach K's fault.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    BTW, didn't Steve Alford turn down the IU job, or did Indiana decide they didn't want him?
    I read somewhere that Alford interviewed and they said they'd get back with him, but never contacted him again. I can't remember where I read that though, I could be wrong.

Oh, I don't think they'd hire Alford. He had a few problems of his own at Iowa. Plus he's not that good of a coach either.
    Last edited by Chip R; 02-15-2008 at 06:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

As I said earlier in the thread, Dakich is the man. By the way, does anyone know who Greenspan's choice supposedly was? As an IU alum, this whole episode pains me, but at least no chairs have been thrown...as of yet.

Razor,

Sure, it's not only Piggie (entirely guilty, but ignored by the NCAA), Maggette (again, ignored by the NCAA), the commercials (a CLEAR violation of NCAA rules, but allowed and-- again-- ignored by the NCAA), the hiring of TWO high profile recruit parents (a questionable act, but one not against NCAA mandates), but also at least three instances of players able to graduate in 3 1/2 years with, in one case, a double major, all the while playing Division I basketball.

Is it possible? Sure. I guess.

Does it help to know each of the three scored at least 200 poitns below the average Duke student on the SAT and would not have been admitted to the school unless they were a basketball player?

Is it possible for each of these three young men to not only attend a (by all accounts) very difficult, high profile private school and thrive despite:
    1) being woefully unprepared in high school or extremely poor test-takers
    2) a close to 60-hour per week (conservatively, in season), extremely demanding "job"

Sure, it's possible.

But it sure sounds fishy to me.

Is any of this proof? Nope.

But, where there's smoke, there most assuredly is fire.

Duke is as guilty as all major Division I programs. Dirtier, in fact, than most.

Retired

I really have a hard time having pity for IU in any of this. They knew Sampson was a scumbag when they hired him and what they were getting into bed with.

On the other side, Bob Knight is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I really have a hard time having pity for IU in any of this. They knew Sampson was a scumbag when they hired him and what they were getting into bed with.

On the other side, Bob Knight is available.
    You know, here are a couple things I thought of after listening to the press conference from today.

1) Seven days is a pretty darned short period of time and it is hard to imagine that a full and thorough investigation can be completed in a week.

2) If Sampson was truly not Greenspan's man, then this is a heck of way for him to get rid of the guy. After all, these violations were originally reported to NCAA by IU because Greenspan had indeed put in place a system to monitor Sampson.

My prediction is that Sampson is gone by next Friday night. Greenspan stays and Dakich takes over.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Seriously though how can you believe a word that comes out of Kravitz's mouth? He is the one who insulted Mr Dungy if you remember.
    I don't particularly care for his columns but I really enjoy his radio show. He and his partner do a good job of stirring it up like WLW has been known to do.

As far as the Dungy controversy, not to get off subject but I somewhat agree with Kravitz comments about Dungy being a hypocrite by moving his family to Florida and staying in Indy.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post

My prediction is that Sampson is gone by next Friday night. Greenspan stays and Dakich takes over.
    I second that!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    My prediction is that Sampson is gone by next Friday night. Greenspan stays and Dakich takes over on an interim basis.
    I fixed it for you.

Pretty sure IU will go for a high profile name even on probation. I'll be surprised if its anybody but Sean Miller.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I fixed it for you.

Pretty sure IU will go for a high profile name even on probation. I'll be surprised if its anybody but Sean Miller.
    Andy Kennedy and Tony Bennett were the other two names I've heard.
    I think whoever it is will keep Dakich on staff to keep the Knight lovers from hating the new hire.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I read somewhere that Alford interviewed and they said they'd get back with him, but never contacted him again. I can't remember where I read that though, I could be wrong.
    Actually Alford told IU he was open to talking about the job, but would not interview. He said something to the effect, his record at SW Mizzou and Iowa stood for itself.
    It was a smart move on his part because if he interviewed and was turned down, he looks like a schmo going back to Iowa.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I fixed it for you.

Yeah, you're right. Dakich would only be interim. Good point.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Sampson seemed as if he knows the end is near for him at IU toward the end of tonight's game. I haven't seen him hug players as the come off the floor before.

One thing is for sure, the team really rallied around him and played very hard for him tonight. I just hope that they play that hard for Dakich. I doubt it though.

Turn Off Ads?