Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did Roger Goodell instruct NFL officials to destroy all the Spygate evidence?

Why did Roger Goodell instruct NFL officials to destroy all the Spygate evidence?

This is the question a senator wants answered and I find it perplexing as well.

Very interested to hear what Goodell says about this... his explanations to date have been very lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why did Roger Goodell instruct NFL officials to destroy all the Spygate evidence?

Because it only hurts the NFL to tell the truth.

Re: Why did Roger Goodell instruct NFL officials to destroy all the Spygate evidence?

Gee glad to see the Senate is focusing on important national issues.

NFL gets a anti trust exemption. IMO they should be forced to explain things instead of making some type of obvious cover up.

I agree the NFL should be scrutinized about its anti-trust exemption (like the exclusivity of the NFL Ticket Sunday Ticket with DirectTV is complete crap), but I don't see what the Spygate thing has to do with it.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I agree the NFL should be scrutinized about its anti-trust exemption (like the exclusivity of the NFL Ticket Sunday Ticket with DirectTV is complete crap), but I don't see what the Spygate thing has to do with it.
    Because the fans deserve the right to be sure about the integrity of the game.

sad part is it's not even some rookie senator trying to make a name for himself it's Arlen Specter.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    sad part is it's not even some rookie senator trying to make a name for himself it's Arlen Specter.
    Even sadder is he's doing this now instead of 4 or 5 months ago when it was an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Because the fans deserve the right to be sure about the integrity of the game.
    Specter will ask all the questions that have been previously asked and Goodell will give the answers that were given before. Which I think were a little suspect but plausible.

And so then what do you want to have happen? Specter to say "are you sure?".

It was an internal League matter and that's how they decided to deal with it. It's not like it was going through US Federal courts and they destroyed legal evidence.

I agree with whoever said it before, this country has a lot bigger problems than a senator worrying about this.

Pay attention to the open sky

I think its not unfair for the NFL to discuss it a little more than just "there is nothing to see here"

The NFL could cover a bunch of things up even more major if you just allow them to do it. Heck I already think they cover a bunch of stuff up just to not take the PR hit. If the spygate story never got the medias attention I doubt much of anything would have been done.

Personally, I think a much bigger issue is the crappy health benefits and pensions that pro football players get compared to other sports such as baseball.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Personally, I think a much bigger issue is the crappy health benefits and pensions that pro football players get compared to other sports such as baseball.
    Pretty sure they are already on that one.

not that I think the senate needs to get involved, i just think it;s a bigger issue for the sport.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Since the season was underway when it happened, it was neater to just mete out a punishment and move on than to spend weeks and weeks wrangling over what to do. They had to be concerned that a lawsuit with all kinds of messy consequences like injunctions might result. Destroying the evidence would just about eliminate the possibililty of that happening. It strikes me as a reasonable notion for the government to make known its strong preference for preserving evidence in the event there are future cases that reflect on the integrity of the game.
    /r/reds

I find it a little fishy that they destroyed the tapes so quickly. If there was nothing on them then why destroy them?

Turn Off Ads?