Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Who will be free agents after 08?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Who will be free agents after 08?

I know JR(noway they pick up his option), Dunn, and Stanton will be free agents after 08 but do we have anyone else in the FA class next season.I think the Reds sign Dunn to a extension so I dont think he will ever hit the FA market.I can see a 4 year 60mil contract for Dunn.But with JR and Stanton leaving that will save the REds in the area of 15 mil next season.We will need another starter which he should be able to get with that money,MAybe a Burnett or Lowe someone like that.But with JR leaving we will need a OF aswell.Do you think we can come up with the extra money to address that?

Re: Who will be free agents after 08?

First of all, as others have pointed out, we will not have any extra spending money next offseason due to raises in contracts and arbitration years. Secondly, if Dunn is signed to a LTC I don't think we will be looking to shell out big bucks on a FA OF to replace Griffey. I see his replacement coming from either a trade, in-house, or a cheap scrap-heaper ala Brian Anderson...

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    I know JR(noway they pick up his option), Dunn, and Stanton will be free agents after 08 but do we have anyone else in the FA class next season.I think the Reds sign Dunn to a extension so I dont think he will ever hit the FA market.I can see a 4 year 60mil contract for Dunn.But with JR and Stanton leaving that will save the REds in the area of 15 mil next season.We will need another starter which he should be able to get with that money,MAybe a Burnett or Lowe someone like that.But with JR leaving we will need a OF aswell.Do you think we can come up with the extra money to address that?
    Here is a list of the outfield free agents in 2009:

Left fielders
    Moises Alou (42)
    Garret Anderson (37) - $14MM club option for '09 with a $3MM buyout
    Milton Bradley (31)
    Pat Burrell (32)
    Carl Crawford (27) - $8.25MM club option for '09 with $2.5MM buyout
    Adam Dunn (29)
    Cliff Floyd (36) - $3MM club option for '09 with a $0.25MM buyout
    Raul Ibanez (37)
    Jacque Jones (34)
    Jason Michaels (33) - $2.6MM club option for '09
    Craig Monroe (32)
    Jay Payton (36)
    Wily Mo Pena (27) - $5MM club option or $2MM player option for '09
    Manny Ramirez (37) - $20MM club option for '09
    Juan Rivera (30)

Center fielders
    Rocco Baldelli (27) - $6MM club option for '09 with a $4MM buyout
    Jim Edmonds (39)
    Jacque Jones (34)
    Mark Kotsay (33)

Right fielders
    Bobby Abreu (35)
    Casey Blake (35)
    Milton Bradley (31)
    Brian Giles (38) - $9MM club option for '09 with a $3MM buyout
    Ken Griffey Jr. (39) - $16.5MM club option for '09 with a $4MM buyout
    Vladimir Guerrero (33) - $15MM club option for '09 with a $3MM buyout
    Jacque Jones (34)

Pat Burrell could pretty much put up 90% Adam Dunn production...

If we have Bruce and Dunn playing the corner position, all we need is someone that gets on base like Hopper. I know Chicks dig the long ball but you can't skip over a .300 hitter that is the best bunt hitter in the game. He is a better version of Dieon Sanders, perfect leadoff hitter in my mind.

The possibility of someone in the organization already is possible. Let's see if Dorn picks up where he left off after being promoted to Chattanooga, for one. The damaged shoulder that caused him to slip so far in the draft looks to be behind him. I've said it before, it could be said he moved through 3 levels last season, in that he skipped low A Dayton after rookie ball, going drectly to high A Sarasota, ending up at AA with impressive #s.

Turn Off Ads?