Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Video Game of All Time

Re: Your Favorite Video Game of All Time

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I would say xbox-live is the reason that Halo is so replayable. I was still playing Halo 2 xbox-live on my old Xbox as recently as six months ago. I have probably logged thousands of hours playing the matchmaking and custom games with my friends. The game play changes every time on xbox-live because you are constantly given new game types and new opponents that use different strategies. All the while, you are working to increase your "ranking." Also, if Halo is Doom with better graphics, doesn't that make it a better game?
    Well, then I guess that would be a reason why you might list Halo Series as your favorite all-time. Me, I'm more of a solitary player. Although I have a few cards for a free month of Xbox Live sitting around, I don't have the time to invest in a subscription, so I just play the regular campaign mode. When I think of my favorite all time games, it's usually because they were fairly innovative in some way that made them inherently replayable, whether you played alone or with friends. For example, I remember SNK Baseball Stars was great because it not only had great gameplay, but it was also one of the first games I can remember that let you create your own players. It's old hat now, but at the time it was a big advancement on previous games.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

One of the first full-sized arcade games I fell in love with was Red Baron.

Remember playing it for the first time at a Malabu Grand Prix race track and acrade. Played it once and then spent the rest of the money Gramps gave me to play it over and over and over.

For me, I think the older games hold a warm regard is for many reasons, pure nestalga, having aged and not having new equipment (other than PC) and that it was first. First will always hold a spot over newer.

The big reason for me, however, was that in the early 1980's it was all so new (to me, I know Atari systems had been out for a while). I could disapear into my room for hours, sometimes days on end and try to beat a new game. And every game was new (unless it was Pac-Mac or something) at that time. New concepts. New motor skils to develop. New game features to explore. Even learing the menus and options to tinker with was new ground to explore.

Sure, now the graphics are amazing and blow your mind. The Wii is pretty cool, but it's cool because it's NEW (the control system is anyway). You can only do so many versons of Castle Wolfenstein, or Space Invaders or Age of Empires. After a while, they are all the same game (again, to me at least).

But "back in the day" socked away in my bedroom, it was an all new experience. And really, really, really, really, fun.

You can't discuss revolutions in gaming without bringing up Grand Theft Auto.

Baseball Simulator 1.000 and Baseball Stars are in a dead-heat tie.

I also loved the stand-up arcade version of Discs of Tron and the sit-down version of Sinistar.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Isn't there anybody else out there that has enjoyed the Halo series?
    I'm an old fart. Pong and Frogger are more up my alley. But my teenagers play Halo, Doom, and Call Of Duty.

I like to play bowling on the Wii.

I've been trying to play Madden 08 with my daughter, but I just don'thave the eye-hand coordination of these youngsters.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Baseball Simulator 1.000 and Baseball Stars are in a dead-heat tie.
    The special pitch where you could accelerate and decelerate the ball at will was money.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Call of Duty Four.

With a bullet.

Best shooter I've ever played.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

I just started playing ZORK. Now I'm addicted to it. It's like text-based crack.
    Witty signature.

Final Fantasy 7
    Chrono Trigger
    Resident Evil
    Devil May Cry

Yeah im a dork :P

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    I just started playing ZORK. Now I'm addicted to it. It's like text-based crack.
    I remember those. I enjoyed "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and "Leather Goddesses of Phobos" (not nearly as dirty as it sounds, it had a sort of vintage pulp sci-fi theme and some good humor).
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Leisure Suit Larry was pretty good.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Anybody remember playing the "pre-video game" arcade games? I remember sinking a bunch of quarters in a "Neanderthal" baseball game at an arcade in Myrtle Beach when I was a kid. The ball would roll down this track and you would have to hit it when it jumped off the track with this mechanical bat. There were different height levels in the back of the machine that would give you a single, double, triple or homerun, and a wheel type baserunning mechanism that would show you where your runners were.

I also wasted a lot of quarters in pinball machines and the skee-ball alley. Spend all that money to win those tickets to redeem for some half-rate stuffed animal. Ahhh, those were the days.

after playing Rock Band all weekend Im going to have to say Rock Band

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Anybody remember playing the "pre-video game" arcade games? I remember sinking a bunch of quarters in a "Neanderthal" baseball game at an arcade in Myrtle Beach when I was a kid. The ball would roll down this track and you would have to hit it when it jumped off the track with this mechanical bat. There were different height levels in the back of the machine that would give you a single, double, triple or homerun, and a wheel type baserunning mechanism that would show you where your runners were.
    Was it like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Slug-Fest-Baseba...QQcmdZViewItem
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post

Nope. I have played those, as well. The one I mentioned was much different.

Turn Off Ads?