Re: Your Favorite Video Game of All Time

Super Mario Bros. 3
    Super Mario World
    Super Smash Bros. Melee
    MVP Baseball 2005

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Attack Cat!

The Civilization series (currently Civ4)
    Street Fighter 2 (in all its incarnations)
    X-Com: UFO defense

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'll weigh in with my own selections:

1. Xenogears (PS1) - The only game I've ever played with a "page turner" stoyline.

2. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1) - The last great side-scrolling platformer.

3. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past (SNES) - The best of the Zelda games. Top-down view action in all of its 16-bit glory.

4. Chrono Trigger (SNES) - Time travel fun and a soundtrack I can still hum songs from.

5. River City Ransom (NES) - Beat up people. Take money. Shop at mall. Rescue girlfriends trapped in local school. How much better does life get?

Honorable mentions:
    - Final Fantsy VI
    - Crystalis
    - Tecmo Super Bowl
    - Super Mario World
    - Goldeneye
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I'm dissapointed in the lack of representation from some more modern games. Most of the stuff you guys are naming are at least 15 years old!

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I'm dissapointed in the lack of representation from some more modern games. Most of the stuff you guys are naming are at least 15 years old!
    Newer does not necessarily equal better, though my list tilts a bit more towards the former.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Newer does not necessarily equal better, though my list tilts a bit more towards the former.
    I understand that, but it seems like there is too much respect being given to the old games and not enough to the new ones...

It's called nostalgia, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    It's called nostalgia, my friend.
    In my case, it's called not being familiar with what's currently popular.

In other words, it's called "encroaching middle age."
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

1. Starcraft. - I can't believe that this game hasn't been mentioned. This is my all-time favorite game!

2. Resident Evil 2. - Many hours spent trying to find keys, and scared to walk past windows, just in case of a licker!

3. Guitar Hero (series). - I've owned all 3 games, and love them all!
    Let's make some noise!

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Im my opinion as someone who plays a bunch of games, newer games go for style and "OH WOW" graphics over game play, older games weren't going to look anywhere near real so they concentrated on making the game play better, to me that's a lot more fun.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by OUReds View Post
    X-Com: UFO defense
    oh how could i ever forget the glory of X-Com...Terror From the Deep and Apocalypse are great too.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Im my opinion as someone who plays a bunch of games, newer games go for style and "OH WOW" graphics over game play, older games weren't going to look anywhere near real so they concentrated on making the game play better, to me that's a lot more fun.
    Yeah, I'd say it's rare that a game comes up with a new concept that hasn't been done before. Most first person shooters are merely a more complex version of Wolfenstein or Doom with better graphics. They mostly rely on having a good story rather than innovative game play. What I liked about some of the older games is that they were innovative in their game play, such that you could play the game for a few years and still enjoy it. I rarely actually buy games today because I know I can just rent it a couple times, get through the game and return it, spending only $10-15 bucks instead of the $60 that new releases on XBox 360 cost nowadays.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Micro League Baseball for the C64 was tremendous.

Old School Madden editions for Sega were also the best of the bunch. Much better than the recent ones.

You're joking, right?

Have you played Madden 08 on the 360 with a HDMI connection?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    You're joking, right?

Have you played Madden 08 on the 360 with a HDMI connection?
    Played it on PS3 in HD.

Maybe it was the atmosphere (late HS and college years, massive rivalries in the dorms) and the fact that I am getting older. But those versions were phenomenal.

Turn Off Ads?