Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Redzoners, read one of the best player interviews you will ever see!

Redzoners, read one of the best player interviews you will ever see!

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/kansas...als/index.html

Royals pitcher Brian Bannister is interviewed here. His explanation of how he pitches is outstanding. He talks about his use and understanding of stats among other things. The questions he gets asked are great and his answers are well thought out and insightful. He is absolutely a future pitching coach.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Redzoners, read one of the best player interviews you will ever see!

It sounds like he lives in his garage

so smart... yet so mediocre?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I'd take Bannister's brand of "mediocrity" (121 ERA+ and 1.21 WHIP as a rookie) on the Reds any day of the week.

Sounds to me like he's got the mindset to be successful even if his stuff isn't top-notch. I like those guys.

He pitched at USC and was drafted in 2003 by the Mets in the 7th round. He was a 2003 Penn League Postseason All-Star. He was a 2004 Florida State League All-Star. In 2005, he was an Eastern League All-Star and the Mets Minor League Player of the Year. His lifetime minor league stats are 30-20 with an ERA of 3.25. His minor league stats have been just as good as Homer Bailey's. Gets to the Bigs in 2006 with the Mets and starts 6 games(and pitches in 2 others) and goes 2-1 with an ERA of 4.26. He also got to pick the brain and spend a lot of time with Tom Glavine. He got traded to the Royals for Ambiorix Burgos and in 2007 was a very strong contender for A.L. Rookie of the Year going 12-9 with an ERA of 3.87. His ERA was good enough for 19th in the AL last season and 33nd overall in MLB. Only 20 AL pitchers had more wins last season. Mediocre? Not hardly. Try effective starting pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    He pitched at USC and was drafted in 2003 by the Mets in the 7th round. He was a 2003 Penn League Postseason All-Star. He was a 2004 Florida State League All-Star. In 2005, he was an Eastern League All-Star and the Mets Minor League Player of the Year. His lifetime minor league stats are 30-20 with an ERA of 3.25. His minor league stats have been just as good as Homer Bailey's. Gets to the Bigs in 2006 with the Mets and starts 6 games(and pitches in 2 others) and goes 2-1 with an ERA of 4.26. He also got to pick the brain and spend a lot of time with Tom Glavine. He got traded to the Royals for Ambiorix Burgos and in 2007 was a very strong contender for A.L. Rookie of the Year going 12-9 with an ERA of 3.87. His ERA was good enough for 19th in the AL last season and 33nd overall in MLB. Only 20 AL pitchers had more wins last season. Mediocre? Not hardly. Try effective starting pitcher.
    yet the Mets found him less valuable than the great Ambiorix Burgos...

There is a big difference between knowing what to do and actually executing it. There are plenty of baseball players out there who know a lot but simply don't have the talent to be more than a "mediocre" major league baseball player. Not everyone can be Johan Santana.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    There is a big difference between knowing what to do and actually executing it. There are plenty of baseball players out there who know a lot but simply don't have the talent to be more than a "mediocre" major league baseball player. Not everyone can be Johan Santana.
    I love that there is a player out there that understands this stuff. I did not mean to personally attack Brian Bannister. My point was that he certainly makes the most of what he has, and I can't imagine him being very productive without his knowledge. And for those that disagree with my mediocre statement, I would like to add that Matt Belisle is as good of a pitcher as Bannister...

I would like to add that Matt Belisle is as good of a pitcher as Bannister...
    Not even close Bubba.

Not even close Bubba.
    Brian Bannister 2007:
    165 IP
    FIP 4.52
    xFIP 5.14
    GB 41%
    LD 19.2%
    .262 BABIP
    8.51 H/9
    2.4 BB/9
    4.2 K/9

Matt Belisle 2007:
    177.2 IP
    FIP 4.54
    xFIP 4.32
    GB 42%
    LD 22%
    .330 BABIP
    10.74 H/9
    2.18 BB/9
    6.33 K/9

Bannister got lucky...
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 02-05-2008 at 04:01 PM.

Brian Bannister 2007:
    165 IP
    FIP 4.52
    xFIP 5.14
    GB 41%
    LD 19.2%
    .262 BABIP
    8.51 H/9
    2.4 BB/9
    4.2 K/9

Matt Belisle 2007:
    177.2 IP
    FIP 4.54
    xFIP 4.32
    GB 42%
    LD 22%
    .330 BABP
    10.74 H/9
    2.18 BB/9
    6.33 K/9

Bannister got lucky...
    He's the son of former pitcher Floyd Bannister who spent a mere 15 years pitching in the Majors. His minor league numbers are as good, if not better, than Homer Bailey. He was able to be an effective pitcher in a hitters league last year whereas Bailey was not in the NL. And just because the Mets traded him for Burgois doesn't mean he's not a good player. It just means the Mets made a stupid trade. If WMP never pans out(and so far he hasn't) does that lessen Arroyo's abilities or stats? People think enough of Bannister that he was 3rd in Rookie of the Year voting last season behind Dustin Pedroia and Delmon Young. He finished ahead of Daisuke Matsuzaka who was 4th in the voting and who received one third of the total points that Bannister did. He is legit.
    If you disagree, go through his accomplishments I previously listed and explain to me how luck entered into each one. Please tell me how being the Mets Minor League player of the year in 2005 was luck. Explain all the other Minor League awards too. Because you never addressed that. You have said that he is mediocre and lucky. Explain to me how someone so mediocre can be lucky five seasons in a row?

He's the son of former pitcher Floyd Bannister who spent a mere 15 years pitching in the Majors.
    importance = nothing

His minor league numbers are as good, if not better, than Homer Bailey.
    Brian Bannister was a college pitcher that was about five years older than Bailey at each level. Besides the statistical perspective, it is clear that Bailey is greatly prefered by the scouts. That is why he was a first round pick and Bannister was a seventh round pick...

He was able to be an effective pitcher in a hitters league last year whereas Bailey was not in the NL.
    why are we talking about Homer Bailey again? The pitcher with exactly 9 major league starts, most made injured...

And just because the Mets traded him for Burgois doesn't mean he's not a good player. It just means the Mets made a stupid trade. If WMP never pans out(and so far he hasn't) does that lessen Arroyo's abilities or stats?
    thats a good argument. My basic point was, with supposed major league success in NY, why did the Mets trade him (because he walked more than he stuck out)? Must not have been thought of very highly by their scouting department (whoopi! I know...)

People think enough of Bannister that he was 3rd in Rookie of the Year voting last season behind Dustin Pedroia and Delmon Young. He finished ahead of Daisuke Matsuzaka who was 4th in the voting and who received one third of the total points that Bannister did. He is legit.
    What the baseball writers think means absolutely nothing to me. These are the same guys that didn't give Harang a single CY vote in 2006...

We can compare him to Dice-K if you want!!!

If you disagree, go through his accomplishments I previously listed and explain to me how luck entered into each one. Please tell me how being the Mets Minor League player of the year in 2005 was luck. Explain all the other Minor League awards too. Because you never addressed that. You have said that he is mediocre and lucky. Explain to me how someone so mediocre can be lucky five seasons in a row?
    Luck entered into the only successful MLB season he has had-2007
    Most of the "accomplishments" you have mentioned are just stupid awards awarded by stupid people (I don't want to make this into an argument about how smart baseball writers are. I think they are stupid, you may not...)

yet the Mets found him less valuable than the great Ambiorix Burgos...
    Guess that makes Scott Kazmir mediocre, too.

He's only pitched one full season in the bigs. Which makes it difficult to have multiple successful MLB seasons.

Matt Belisle's 1st full season in the bigs: ERA+ 88 (age 27)
    Bannister's 1st full season in the bigs: ERA+ 121 (age 26)

You can have Belisle.

*BaseClogger*;1546903]importance = nothing
    Incorrect. First off it means he's going to have the athletic genes which aren't a bad thing to have. Also, having a former All-Star MLB pitcher as a father means you have the opportunity to learn a lot.

Brian Bannister was a college pitcher that was about five years older than Bailey at each level. Besides the statistical perspective, it is clear that Bailey is greatly prefered by the scouts. That is why he was a first round pick and Bannister was a seventh round pick...
    Brandon Larson and Todd Van Poppel were 1st rounders

why are we talking about Homer Bailey again? The pitcher with exactly 9 major league starts, most made injured...
    I use him as an example because he's a part of the Reds organization and a well known prospect who is expected to do very well.

thats a good argument. My basic point was, with supposed major league success in NY, why did the Mets trade him (because he walked more than he stuck out)? Must not have been thought of very highly by their scouting department (whoopi! I know...)
    I hardly think they traded him based on his 2006 MLB numbers. He only had 38 IP and had 19 k's and 22 BB. His AAA numbers just from that season were 30 1/3 IP 24 K's and 5 BB's. His career numbers minor league numbers are

418 IP 365 K's and 115 BB's

The Mets traded him because they had just lost two relievers and had the opportunity to trade for a reliever with blazing speed.

What the baseball writers think means absolutely nothing to me. These are the same guys that didn't give Harang a single CY vote in 2006...
    I would point out he had double digit losses and an ERA a little too close to 4.00. I agree, as a Jim Rice fan, that some sportswriters are idiots but every pitcher who got a CY vote had a better season than Harang. I also wonder how many of those minor league awards were voted on by sportswriters?

Most of the "accomplishments" you have mentioned are just stupid awards awarded by stupid people (I don't want to make this into an argument about how smart baseball writers are. I think they are stupid, you may not...)
    Three stupids in one paragraph? I think we have a Redszone record. There was a little bit of a tailwind so we'll have to measure that and make sure it's all legal.

Dayton Moore is the GM for the Royals. He used to be the Assistant GM of the Braves so he knows good starting pitching when he sees it. That's why he traded for him. I think the idea that anyone off of a team that had the 2nd worst record in the AL is lucky is ludicrous.

Turn Off Ads?