Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As the Reds '08 season opens, how's this for tough

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

As the Reds '08 season opens, how's this for tough

The Reds will likely face Brandon Webb, Dan Haren and Randy Johnson with Haren and Johnson possibly being flipped in the rotation to get that Righty-Lefty-Righty order in the first three games of the schedule. Can the Reds compete with that?

Facing the defending NL West champs will be difficult but our saving grace hopefully will be having our hitters ahead of their pitchers that early in the season. Don't even want to think of their hitters being ahead of our pitchers.

The Arizona mailbag (D'backs official site)offers this-

Brandon Webb is still our No. 1 pitcher, correct? Where do you think Randy Johnson will be in the rotation? Do you think with this surgery, he'll make it through an entire season?
    -- Naomi B., Prescott Valley, Ariz.

Webb will be the Opening Day pitcher, Naomi, but where Johnson will be slotted is still yet to be determined. From the way manager Bob Melvin has been talking of late, it seems likely that he will slot Johnson right behind Webb and in front of Dan Haren. That simply would allow him to not have lefties Johnson and Doug Davis pitching on consecutive days.
    I heard that Johnson will pitch in the second spot in the rotation. Wouldn't it make more sense to throw Haren in that role since he's the better pitcher? I mean, we gave up six prospects to get him. Isn't he better than a No. 3 guy?
    -- Greg S., Scottsdale, Ariz. Regardless of where he pitches in the rotation, Haren has the stuff to be a No. 1 starter, but really I think too much gets made about what spot a guy pitches in the rotation. Getting the Opening Day start is clearly something special. And if you're the No. 5 guy, that's important, because you may get skipped to keep the other guys working on regular rest. As for the other slots, once the first week of the season is over, everyone has different off-days and everyone's rotation gets jumbled, so it's not like if you were to pitch Webb the fifth day of the season, he would match up every time against other team's No. 5's.
    --------------------------------------------------------

So the Reds counter with Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo and Matt Belisle or does Dusty Baker slot Homer Bailey #3? Hopefully a successful spring training allows Baker to entrust Bailey as the third starter.

After the first three games, what will the Reds record be?
    I go with Harang winning game 1 and the Reds losing games 2 and 3.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: As the Reds '08 season opens, how's this for tough

Dang I wish we had gotten Haren. Can't believe Beane liked the AZ package better than what Krivsky had to offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Dang I wish we had gotten Haren. Can't believe Beane liked the AZ package better than what Krivsky had to offer.
    We really don't know what the offer was from the Reds.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    We really don't know what the offer was from the Reds.
    True, I'm just saying that we could have trumped their offer pretty easily, it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

The Reds were in on that deal? I don't recall much about it, everything was about Bedard.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    The Reds were in on that deal? I don't recall much about it, everything was about Bedard.
    Yes. It was reported that Beane wanted Cueto, but outside of that, we don't have any other information.

I hope that the day Randy Johnson and his surgically repaired and really old back pitches it is really cold.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

So what you're telling me is that if Randy Johnson is healthy to start the 2nd game of the season, there's a very good chance we'll start the 2008 season 0-3?

Thats okay... as long as we don't face a rookie making his major league debut we are usually alright...
    "There is a great man who makes every man feel small. But the real great man is the man who makes every man feel great." G.K Charleston

I like my chances with Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo. Plus our offense is better than Arizona's. We could easily go 2-1 as opposed to 1-2 or 0-3.

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post

So the Reds counter with Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo and Matt Belisle or does Dusty Baker slot Homer Bailey #3? Hopefully a successful spring training allows Baker to entrust Bailey as the third starter.
    I hope Bailey starts opening day - in Louisville. I go Belisle in game 3, Volquez in 4 and TBD in 5 but Affeldt at this point. I'm still hoping for some kind of acquisition.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

D'Backs fans aren't going to be too happy about Webb, Haren and Johnson each starting out the season 0-1

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    So what you're telling me is that if Randy Johnson is healthy to start the 2nd game of the season, there's a very good chance we'll start the 2008 season 0-3?
    Considering that the leagues best starters only win about half their starts (about 17 wins per season),though their teams goes on to win some more, there's not a "very good chance" we will start out 0-3.

In fact , with Harang pitching at home,the Reds would be favoured to win against any pitcher in baseball.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Considering that the leagues best starters only win about half their starts (about 17 wins per season),though their teams goes on to win some more, there's not a "very good chance" we will start out 0-3.

In fact , with Harang pitching at home,the Reds would be favoured to win against any pitcher in baseball.
    Just as long as his last name isn't Oswalt:thumbdown
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I hope Bailey starts opening day - in Louisville. I go Belisle in game 3, Volquez in 4 and TBD in 5 but Affeldt at this point. I'm still hoping for some kind of acquisition.
    If Bailey starts opening day for Louisville, that doesn't bode well for the Reds at all. Bailey's time is now. He is a vital element in the Reds bid to finish with a winning record this year.
    Bailey went 4-2 for the Reds last year while struggling part of that time with a groin injury. I just don't see the need for Bailey to start in Louisville especially on a starting staff that is in such need of quality pitching. Bailey has proven all he needs to in the minors. This young man had/has a lot of expectations on his shoulders last year. I think he'll be more comfortable this season and should start the season in Cincinnati barring a complete bust in spring training. Matt Belisle has 15 wins and 18 losses for his major league career. If you want Belisle at #3 with his record, there ought to be room on the starting staff for Homer. I like Matt Belisle and hope for an improved season over last year's 8-9 record.

You want Edinson Volquez at #4 even though is BB/9 stats through parts of three season with the Rangers show:
    7.11 BB/9 in 2005
    4.59 - 2006
    3.97 - 2007
    while Homer Bailey had 5.56 BB/9 in 2007. So if you look at each pitcher's 1st major league season, Homer is again as worthy as Volquez of being in Cincinnati. I still see Bailey's potential although it appears some have soured on his ability.
    Just my 2 cents.

Turn Off Ads?